Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juniper1
    • By juniper1 23rd Mar 06, 4:13 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 20Thanks
    juniper1
    Are we all being conned? Should we change?
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:13 PM
    Are we all being conned? Should we change? 23rd Mar 06 at 4:13 PM
    I'm a new reader to this site and am finding my way around. I had a big shock today in that our gas & electricity bill has come in at 428 for the quarter. I thought I'd check the meter readings and the gas was more. I'm not worried that the bill will go up but it sparked a chain reaction in that I looked at MSE & read all relevant info on supplier changing. I then rang Scottish Power our supplier & discussed all options with them. Best action is to switch to ONLINE a/c and pay monthly DDM. They have different rates for each! Also discussed CAPPED rates. Then as I am a sad muppet I sat down & worked out what I would pay over the next year comparing staying on current rate that we are on or capping or not capping at DDM rate! All very complicated. I worked out that it was not viable at this time to cap the Gas. It is dearer the more gas you use. This quarter would have cost me 30 more if the rate was capped. The electricity works out cheaper.
    So, next I went onto Martin's Energyhelpline link and did a comparison quote. This showed Powergen was best saver. Savings to be had over the year would be about 229. I then went onto Powergen's website & savings totted up to 275. I then phoned them to get prices. When I calculated the comparisons myself, the payments are very much dearer than Scottish Power! What is going on??? There appears to be no easy way to compare.
    Last edited by juniper1; 23-03-2006 at 4:18 PM.
Page 1
    • matto
    • By matto 23rd Mar 06, 4:32 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    matto
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:32 PM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:32 PM
    We're being confused rather than conned.

Take powergen

Their base price is 17p/7p after 800 kwh for electric
    and 3.57p/2.15p after 4572 kwh gas.

But then there are discounts for being an online customer, paying by direct debit and having both electric and gas from them.

The switching sites should take all these discounts into account.
    • juniper1
    • By juniper1 23rd Mar 06, 4:38 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    juniper1
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:38 PM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:38 PM
    Thats not the figures that they've given me this afternoon.
    Their capped rate is for 4 yrs (no penalty for termination)
    Electricity = 1st 225 per quarter is 17.64 per unit then 8.77 thereafter

Non capped is 14.64 1st 225 then 8.77

Gas = 4.556 1st 1143 per quarter then 2.51 for capped

No capped = 3.156 ast 1143 then 2.51

11% discount for online & ddm payment

I am confused because the sums just don't add up to what the comparison companies & Powergens website are tellling me.
    • matto
    • By matto 23rd Mar 06, 4:54 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    matto
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:54 PM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:54 PM
    Those non-capped prices relate to the Energy Saving Plan tariff. They would suit a lower than average gas user, but judging by your quarterly bill you're probably be one of those.

The difference in electric prices is due to regional variations.
    Last edited by matto; 23-03-2006 at 4:56 PM.
    • juniper1
    • By juniper1 23rd Mar 06, 5:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    juniper1
    • 23rd Mar 06, 5:35 PM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 5:35 PM
    I assume you mean I'm not a lower than average gas user. Our heating and water are gas fired and my hob is gas plus we have a rayburn that is mains gas fired too.
    I see from looking at the energy helpline site that there are many differnt types of products that you can go on. Do I need to perhaps research the best product within a supplier for us. I am surprised that Powergen and my current supplier didn't ask the amount of usage between gas & electricity.
    As you say the figures quoted appear to be for a low gas user. I wonder what their figures are for a high gas user. Was there a better product for me.
    I've always thought in the past that the prices were the same for everyone. I've had my eyes opened today and I think that there must be alot of people out there who are paying through the nose because the system and the way things are calculated are extremely complicated.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Mar 06, 8:33 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    kittie
    • 24th Mar 06, 8:33 AM
    • 24th Mar 06, 8:33 AM
    I totally agree with you OP re the confusion to customers. I find the system confusing and I have a degree in sciences so pity help the people who stay with one supplier simply because they cannot work out what is best for themselves. It should be simplified eg
    dualfuel monthly DD A;B;C;D etc

I am sure it is deliberately meant to confuse
    • smartie1976
    • By smartie1976 24th Mar 06, 11:35 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    smartie1976
    • 24th Mar 06, 11:35 AM
    • 24th Mar 06, 11:35 AM
    Whilst a capped tarrif may seem a bad idea as the supplier charge a small premuim for this, if the price goes up you won't pay anymore, and in the long run will win.

I took my capped tarrif for gas in September at something like and xtra 3%.
    However, prices rises this year mean I am saving far more than I'm paying for the premium.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin