Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    silverelephant
    Gas & Electric Both In Credit - Should I Ask For The Money?
    • 22nd Mar 06, 3:47 PM
    Gas & Electric Both In Credit - Should I Ask For The Money? 22nd Mar 06 at 3:47 PM
    Hi

Sorry if there is a thread for this kind of query already but I looked through quite a few pages and couldn't see one.

After a week or so on this site and forum I've finally plucked up the courage to see if I can save money on my Gas & Leccy. Cue: pulling all the bills out and trying to make sense of them :confused:

We are currently with Scottish Gas after a HUGE fight with Scottish Power (which I won't go into but let's just say they could offer to pay me a million quid a month and I still wouldn't touch them with a bargepole - and I'm a stingy Scot )

We have both gas & electric with them and have capped our prices until April 2007 (we signed up April 05) gas dd is 39pm and electric is 28.50pm.

As at our last statement dates (beginning of Jan) we were in credit by 157.65 for gas and 52.67 for electric. Thats over 200 quid!

Sorry for the long post just wanted to give you all the background info What I would like to know is if I should be phoning to ask them for the money or should I wait in case the Jan/Feb/Mar (i.e. our coldest months) statements show we've used loads trying to cower from the bitter Scottish winter?

Any thoughts gratefully received....if anyone is still awake after reading through all this
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 014
    Lightbulb Moment 12 December 05
    They may take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!
Page 1
  • silverelephant
    • 22nd Mar 06, 3:49 PM
    • 22nd Mar 06, 3:49 PM
    Whoops should also have asked how easy it is to get the money back if that's the way to go
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 23rd Mar 06, 8:29 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 23rd Mar 06, 8:29 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 8:29 AM
    Many moons ago, I was some 400 in credit with British Gas. I just sent them a letter asking for my cash and to lower my monthly payments. They replied offering to lower my monthly payments. I insisted on having my cash AND lowering the payments. They sent me a cheque and kept the payments the same. I went to a cheaper supplier.

It sometimes takes a bit of perseverence, but they really can't refuse to give you *your* money.

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Van1971
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:11 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:11 AM
    I'd call them with today's reading to check what the new balance is and take it from there.
    • smartie1976
    • By smartie1976 23rd Mar 06, 11:16 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    smartie1976
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:16 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:16 AM
    Firstly I suggest that you check your current reads.
    You can call the call centre and ask them to tell you what your current balances are, based on todays read. They should be able to do this will no problems.
    You will then know your true balance as of today.

If you ask for a refund you will be given one unless it looks suspicious! (ie fraud or no gas usage last 12 months but paying 40 per month type of suspicious).
    This is your money afterall.

As your prices are capped there is no danger of a price increase affecting you yet, so I would say it is reasonable to ask for a DD reassessment, although if you signed for capped in April 2005, chances are you are due a reassessment soon anyway.

The system will easily calc the number of units used average over the last 12 months and will work out your revised DD based on that figure.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • silverelephant
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:21 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:21 AM
    Thanks for all the advice

My next quarter bills are actually due so I'm going to wait and see what they say re being in credit before I ask for any money back. Also as soon as they come in I will be asking them to review my direct debits armed with the latest info.

Good idea to do my own meter reading before phoning too thanks
    • smartie1976
    • By smartie1976 23rd Mar 06, 11:30 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    smartie1976
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:30 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:30 AM
    I work in the Biz my dear, for your provider. Just trying to give you the best chance of getting what you want.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,923Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter