Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 21st Mar 06, 6:20 PM
    • 11,018Posts
    • 19,059Thanks
    melbury
    Scary gas bill
    • 21st Mar 06, 6:20 PM
    Scary gas bill 21st Mar 06 at 6:20 PM
    I have just phoned in my gas meter reading and after doing the sums reckon the bill for the quarter Dec - March will be around 400. I know that my monthly direct debit for the past three months will not nearly cover this (even though it was increased a while ago), so do you think they will demand full payment or put my direct debit up through the roof without asking me?

I am one of those sad people who have never switched - have British Gas and local electricity company - just like to keep them separate for some stupid reason. I keep doing comparisons on the various sites, but always chicken out when it comes to changing - I guess I am scared of getting billed on two fronts!
Page 1
    • smartie1976
    • By smartie1976 22nd Mar 06, 11:41 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    smartie1976
    • 22nd Mar 06, 11:41 AM
    • 22nd Mar 06, 11:41 AM
    you should change one of them to take advantage of dual fuel discounts (by having supplies from the same company).
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
    • juniper1
    • By juniper1 23rd Mar 06, 4:28 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    juniper1
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:28 PM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 4:28 PM
    From previous experience, British Gas know that your bills will be higher in the winter and they assume your usage will be lower in the summer so your direct debit is calculated for annual usage. Its swings & roundabouts really. I think you'll find that you'll be in deficit for a while and things will even themselves out in the summer. If you're worried speak to British Gas I used to find them very helpful. I'm with Scottish power now and mine's a different story. Have posted a new thread asking for help re switching
  • sharewatcher
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:46 PM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 11:46 PM
    No one is allowed to increase Direct Debits without informing you, check the banks Direct Debit guarantee
    • smartie1976
    • By smartie1976 24th Mar 06, 11:40 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    smartie1976
    • 24th Mar 06, 11:40 AM
    • 24th Mar 06, 11:40 AM
    No one is allowed to increase Direct Debits without informing you, check the banks Direct Debit guarantee
    by sharewatcher
    yes quite, but your company WILL write to you, inform you of an increase and then you will have to contact them to say you do not want the increase.
    If you are in debt at this time it is likely the energy supplier will ask you to make FULL payment for any debt outstanding before agreeing to return the DD amount to what it was.
    However, it is also not sensible to think that last years DD installment value will cover this years, given the recent price increases.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,426Posts Today

8,483Users online

Martin's Twitter