Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Little_lion
    British Gas- Please Help!!
    • 20th Mar 06, 12:37 PM
    British Gas- Please Help!! 20th Mar 06 at 12:37 PM
    Hi there,

I've been a lurker for years but have never actually posted until now because I'm totally desperate and in a blind panic!

I live in a small 1 bed flat on my own. I have 2 storage heaters that are on for approx 5 hours a day and a normal amount of appliances. I have lived in my flat for just over 2 years and up until 18 months ago my bills were between 60-80 a quarter. I had given them 2 meter readings in that time. They came round to check the meter about 6 months ago and then sent me a bill for 294 saying it had been underestimated for the last year. I queried it and they said the reading was correct and If someone came out to check if meter was faulty and it wasnt it would cost me an extra 100 on top. I paid up.

I now have a bill for 554 for the last quarter- the meter reading is correct but there is no way I can have used that much electricity- Im not in all day.

What can I do? Please help- I dont even have 54 to give them never mind 550!!

Huge thanks

LL
Page 2
  • Little_lion
    British Gas- please help
    I have switched everything off inc immersion and switched them on gradually to see what was using the most. Immersion itself doesnt make the dial spin particularly so don't think thats the culprit.

The daily readings show I am using approx 15 units a day (and its cold atm so a fairly good estimation) I have finally found someone at British Gas who agrees that something is up (as average daily consumption on my bills in the last 6 months is 80 units!) so they want to send someone out to test the meter.

Hopefully it'll be fairly straight forward and they won't end up costing me the callout fee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,925Posts Today

4,648Users online

Martin's Twitter