Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sdmitch
    • By sdmitch 18th Mar 06, 9:40 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 28Thanks
    sdmitch
    NPowers' Very Sneaky 58% Increase
    • 18th Mar 06, 9:40 AM
    NPowers' Very Sneaky 58% Increase 18th Mar 06 at 9:40 AM
    [B]NPowers' Very Sneaky 58% Increase Just been looking at switching from Npower because of the underhand way they have passed on their latest increases - switchers beware.

If you use one of the comparison websites (Uswitch.com etc) Npower' Sign on line electric rates currently show 9.96p per Kwh for the first 728Kwh per annum and then 4.94p per Kwh thereafter - looks attractive doesn't it? - No, beware. Their latest price increase that becomes effective on March 31 will increase those rates to 15.77p per Kwh for the first 728Kwh per annum and 7.69p per Kwh thereafter.

That means an increase of 58% on the first 728Kwh &
    55% on everything thereafter.

Their advertised increase is shown as 13.4%, but that's for exisitng customers only (I'm one of them who switched last November and got screwed with a 31.6% increase on the 1st of January, now being screwd again with a 13.4% increase again - a total of over 50% in the last 5 months).

It's time for these companies to come clean and for the Energywatchdog to clamp down.

Switchers Beware
    Last edited by sdmitch; 18-03-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Page 1
  • bunking_off
    • 18th Mar 06, 10:42 AM
    • 18th Mar 06, 10:42 AM
    You're quite right to highlight that uSwitch is showing erroneous info, and having had a look at the nPower website itself, it seems to propagate from there and they're quoting 2005 prices rather than the currently applicable ones let alone the new ones.

Only thing I'd quibble with you about is the new rates you're qouting. Perhaps it's due to regional variations (I'm in NW, though I didn't know these things varied so much), but my new rates after VAT are 14.43p/8.21p...quite a bit different to yours.
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
    • sdmitch
    • By sdmitch 18th Mar 06, 11:20 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    sdmitch
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:20 AM
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:20 AM
    Yes - regional variations can make a difference - my rates quoted are for East Midlands. Npower told me today that they are currently on Sign on line 5 and on March 31, all sign on line rates will be the same - they didn't confirm any regional variations however.
    • matto
    • By matto 18th Mar 06, 11:21 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    matto
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:21 AM
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:21 AM
    It's a bit more confusing than that but certainly needs highlighting.

The npower rates shown on uswitch are correct and take into account the latest price rise announcement. The fact is npower have not increased these prices and are not due to increase them on March 31.

This is a special online rate only available to new customers (called Sign Online 4). It seems likelyt these rates will increase in line with your experience, although I suspect npower may hold off rises until next autumn.

The main problem for the comparison sites is there's no way to select the correct npower tariff if your on one of their previous Sign Online tariffs, so the comparison is screwed.
    • sdmitch
    • By sdmitch 18th Mar 06, 11:33 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    sdmitch
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:33 AM
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:33 AM
    I agree 100% - Npower told me today that all the on-line rates will change on March 31 - which is exactly what happened to me 2 months after I switched last November. This whole issue is a minefield - the energy watchdog needs to sort it out.
    • matto
    • By matto 18th Mar 06, 11:41 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    matto
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:41 AM
    • 18th Mar 06, 11:41 AM
    It is a pity Martin didn't look further into this himself before his latest email advising that now was the time to switch. Played right into npower's and London Energy's pockets.
  • JohalaReewi
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:52 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 1:52 PM
    Have just checked with Npower (customer service line) and the prices shown for SOL4 on comparison sites and also Npower's website are the rates from 1st March 2006 and there are no more planned increases even on 31st March. Might be an idea to hold off switching until 1st April to see what happens.
    • matto
    • By matto 20th Mar 06, 2:20 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    matto
    • 20th Mar 06, 2:20 PM
    • 20th Mar 06, 2:20 PM
    I doubt they'll increase the prices straightaway. Gas wholesale price is likely to reduce once spring/summer is here and usage will be less. They'll most likely increase the prices in the autumn.

The sign-online tariff also comes with a rebate if you stay with them for a year so it seems unlikely that people will desert npower if they put their prices up next autumn as they'll be well on their way to getting the rebate.

I'm actually with Atlantic Electric & Gas and I get a similar (but more generous) rebate from them, so I'm staying put for the next six months.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 21st Mar 06, 11:09 AM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 21st Mar 06, 11:09 AM
    • 21st Mar 06, 11:09 AM
    You're quite right to highlight that uSwitch is showing erroneous info, and having had a look at the nPower website itself, it seems to propagate from there and they're quoting 2005 prices rather than the currently applicable ones let alone the new ones.

Only thing I'd quibble with you about is the new rates you're qouting. Perhaps it's due to regional variations (I'm in NW, though I didn't know these things varied so much), but my new rates after VAT are 14.43p/8.21p...quite a bit different to yours.
    by bunking_off
    My new rates from march 31st are
    upto 728kwh 16.02 inc vat
    any above 10.62 inc vat

for NE area.

Can anyone help me with npower please.I dont know how to convert my units used into kwh for the price comparison sites.Many thanks if anyone replies
  • JohalaReewi
    For electricity, the units are already in kWh. ie 100 units = 100 kWh. So to find your annual consumption, read your meter(s), find actual (not estimated) readings from a year ago and subtract.

For Gas it is a bit trickier and you should find full instructions on your bill for converting gas units into kWh. Have a calculator handy !!
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 23rd Mar 06, 9:49 AM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    squiggles
    For electricity, the units are already in kWh. ie 100 units = 100 kWh. So to find your annual consumption, read your meter(s), find actual (not estimated) readings from a year ago and subtract.

For Gas it is a bit trickier and you should find full instructions on your bill for converting gas units into kWh. Have a calculator handy !!
    by JohalaReewi
    doh,no wonder i couldnt find a conversion into kwh,many thanks for the reply
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

697Posts Today

6,549Users online

Martin's Twitter