Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 19th Nov 18, 6:43 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 25Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    [Court Date Set] UK CPM & Gladstones Residential Spot
    • 19th Nov 18, 6:43 PM
    [Court Date Set] UK CPM & Gladstones Residential Spot 19th Nov 18 at 6:43 PM
    Hi everyone.

I've been at this with UK CPM and Gladstones for quite a while now.

My previous thread has been closed, not sure why, and you can read any update up until this moment https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5756687&page=3#topofpage

At this point, I received a Claim form and will need to start drafting my defence. Happy days!

Quick question: After receiving the form and completing the Acknowledgement Of Service, do I just send the form back to the court to get the extension to 28 days?

I will work on my draft in the next few days and post here for feedback,

Thank you all for your help so far!
    Last edited by BarraDisciple; 02-05-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Changed title
Page 3
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th May 19, 2:32 PM
    • 6,650 Posts
    • 6,704 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I've copied the template for costs schedule from the beginner thread, but I can't find the one by sassii that you mentioned. Even looking for username>posts didn't work
    Originally posted by BarraDisciple
    You have to be careful of case; it's Sassii
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 76,671 Posts
    • 90,039 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    And it's one of the example links in the NEWBIES thread section on costs schedules anyway, surely, so need need to search.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 16th May 19, 4:48 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Ah ok, thanks! I can buy a ring binder, but then will have to find a way to punch holes in the paper, might as well spend £2/3 on proper binding and it'll look more professional that way.

If everything goes as planned, I can claim it back!
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 19th May 19, 9:25 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Hello!

Everything is ready (apart from costs schedule, which I'll research next week). I've put my WS in an envelope for tomorrow to hand it in to the court.

Any recommendations on what to write on the envelope and who to hand it to?

Thanks!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 19th May 19, 10:18 AM
    • 25,144 Posts
    • 40,571 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Any recommendations on what to write on the envelope and who to hand it to?
    Address it to <<Name of Town>> County Court

WITNESS STATEMENT AND EVIDENCE OF <<Your Name>>

Case Number xxxxx

UKCPM v <<Your Name>>
    Date of Hearing xx/xx/2019

Hand it in to the reception desk, ask for a receipt of delivery.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in the critiquing of court case papers, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th May 19, 7:30 PM
    • 76,671 Posts
    • 90,039 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    And take a photo of the envelope in your hand outside the court building if you want to cover yourself, as far too often, Judges say they haven't got what was handed in and you can then prove it if need be.

Make sure you also print a copy of the sent email(s) proving service to Gladstones.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 21st May 19, 5:58 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Thank you both so much for the tips!

I've handed my WS in and I'm going to get on researching for the costs schedule and skeleton argument. The date is close!
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 28th May 19, 6:26 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Hi all, quick question re Costs Schedule:

1) I have recently started a new job and don't have a payslip to attach as proof of wage. Is it OK to attach my contract of employment instead? I don't mind it going to the judge but really don't like the idea of it being in the hands of the scammers for some reason.

2) Is there any way to prove the time I spent on this as a Litigant in Person?

Thank you!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 28th May 19, 6:33 PM
    • 25,144 Posts
    • 40,571 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You don't attach a payslip, you have it in your back pocket to show the Judge if he is awarding costs. I'd guess a contract of employment would also suffice if it details your salary level.

2) Is there any way to prove the time I spent on this as a Litigant in Person?
    Only you know the amount of time spent on dealing with this. So why not draw up a schedule of dates and time, but this will need to be attached to/part of your cost schedule. It's £19ph litigant in person rate.

Don't go mad on it. Unless there is wholly unreasonable behaviour by the PPC/solicitors (very high bar) then I've not seen much beyond around 5 hours being granted. It's not guaranteed at all.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in the critiquing of court case papers, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 28th May 19, 7:28 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Amazing, thanks Umkomaas!

I thought I had to attach the evidence for it right away, but it's true that I have to first win the case and then ask for costs hehe
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 5th Jun 19, 8:01 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Alright guys, I had my hearing last Monday.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to say much. The judge absolutely ripped the solicitor and went on by doing a monologue about my primacy of contract. In the span of 45 minutes I was done and dusted and walked out the court like a boss

All jokes aside, it was much shorter than expected, to the point where I felt a kind of bad for the solicitor, she tried to argue with the judge but knew exactly where this was going after the first few minutes.

So thank you all for the support! You've been insanely helpful

But it's not over!

The cheeky clowns from Gladstones think they have another ace up their sleeves!
    Today I received another LBC from them, pursuing the very first PCN they gave me, in my very first post in this forum I mention how I was dealing with two PCNs at the same time. As time passed, it seemed that they were only pursuing one of them and dropped the other (as I received no correspondence on it).

The new LBC was sent out on the same day as the hearing I won. I don't know if they're trying to have another go. My question is: how should I treat this? Will they eventually drop it because I'd win on the same exact grounds, or should I go to court and get some more costs off them? Because I've got all the work done already
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 5th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    • 25,144 Posts
    • 40,571 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    If all is the same, check out the term 'Res Judicata' and develop things from that base.

Well done on your first win.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Jun 19, 8:47 PM
    • 76,671 Posts
    • 90,039 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Alright guys, I had my hearing last Monday.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to say much. The judge absolutely ripped the solicitor and went on by doing a monologue about my primacy of contract. In the span of 45 minutes I was done and dusted and walked out the court like a boss

All jokes aside, it was much shorter than expected, to the point where I felt a kind of bad for the solicitor, she tried to argue with the judge but knew exactly where this was going after the first few minutes.

So thank you all for the support! You've been insanely helpful

But it's not over!

The cheeky clowns from Gladstones think they have another ace up their sleeves!
    Today I received another LBC from them, pursuing the very first PCN they gave me, in my very first post in this forum I mention how I was dealing with two PCNs at the same time. As time passed, it seemed that they were only pursuing one of them and dropped the other (as I received no correspondence on it).

The new LBC was sent out on the same day as the hearing I won. I don't know if they're trying to have another go. My question is: how should I treat this? Will they eventually drop it because I'd win on the same exact grounds, or should I go to court and get some more costs off them? Because I've got all the work done already
    Originally posted by BarraDisciple

Yay, well done - ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

Did the boss claim his/her costs back before you walked away?

How about sending a copy of the LBC this week while it is fresh in his mind, to the named Judge who held your case (remind him of the claim number and outcome) and ask if his court has the case management powers and is minded to refer them as a 'vexatious litigant' for:

(a) commencing proceedings in duplicate against the same person for substantially the same reasons, and

(b) suing a wide range of individuals for matters which are identical or have no legal validity.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaring-a-litigant-vexatious-and-the-treasury-solititor/guidance-note-vexatious-litigants-and-the-treasury-solicitor

Ask your Judge if he is minded to please refer the cases to the Senior Circuit Judges in his area, to recommend that UKCPM (and/or their robo-claim solicitors, Gladstones) be forbidden from starting civil cases in this court circuit - or at least cases involving any residents and their own car parks/spaces - without permission.

Worth a letter in the post this week; strike while the iron is hot!

Which court? Which Judge?
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 6th Jun 19, 12:54 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Thank you @Umkomaas I will look that up

@Coupon-mad Thank you! Yes, the boss told her to send the costs to my address within 14 days.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the judge, I will look at my assignment letter with his surname in it as soon as I get a hold of it. Thanks for the tips, I'll post a draft of that letter here.

Quick question: Do I at this point ignore the scammers and try to communicate with the judge, or do I need to get them involved by posting them copies of this?

The hearing was in The Bristol Civil and Family Justice Centre by the way.

P.S. I got complimented on the presentation and bundle as it was really clear. Couldn't have done it without your tips!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    • 76,671 Posts
    • 90,039 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I think when asking for a Claimant to be reported by the courts and sanctioned as a vexatious litigant, you do not have to copy in the Claimant, as this is not part of any live court process.
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 10th Jun 19, 7:22 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Hello again!

Here's a draft for the Judge, who by the way is Deputy District Judge Whiteley.

Dear District Judge Whiteley,

I am writing in regards to claim [Claim No.] held on 03/06/19. I was the defendant in that case and I am in receipt of your General Form of Judgment, which orders for the Claimant’s claim to be dismissed.

On the 05/05/19 I received yet another Letter Before Claim from the Claimant (UK Car Park Management) in which they claim to pursue legal action against me for another parking “fine” occurred on the (date) under the same exact circumstances. Please find a copy of the LBC enclosed.

To me, apart from being a sneaky second attempt at pursuing further action against me, this looks like a clear case of ‘Res Judicata’ and abuse of the court’s process.

I would like to ask if your court has the case management powers and is minded to refer the Claimant as a ‘vexatious litigant’ for:

a) Commencing proceedings in duplicate against the same person for substantially the same reasons; and
    b) Suing a wide range of individuals for matters which are identical or have no legal validity.

I would also like to ask you if you are minded to refer the cases to the Senior Circuit Judges in your area, to recommend that UKCPM (and/or their robo-claim solicitors, Gladstones) be forbidden from starting civil cases in this court circuit - or at least cases involving any residents and their own car parks/spaces - without permission.

Kind regards
    How does it sound? Should I just send it to the court FAO the Judge?

Thanks!
    Last edited by BarraDisciple; 10-06-2019 at 7:25 PM.
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 11th Jun 19, 5:06 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Can someone please give me feedback on the above? Thank you
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jun 19, 4:03 PM
    • 76,671 Posts
    • 90,039 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes, go for it. May as well try every form of revenge and obstacles to the scam.
    • BarraDisciple
    • By BarraDisciple 20th Jun 19, 7:46 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BarraDisciple
    Yes! I've handed the letter to the court.

I also emailed a reply to the scammers' fo LBC kindly telling them not to waste my time or the court's time by going forward with it. Is email ok for them? I really don't want to spend one more penny on them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

6,518Users online

Martin's Twitter