Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mlwillerton
    • By mlwillerton 19th May 19, 5:33 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mlwillerton
    Nest and teachers pension
    • 19th May 19, 5:33 PM
    Nest and teachers pension 19th May 19 at 5:33 PM
    I am a teacher and am putting contributions into my teachers pension.
    I also work for an exam board and they have enrolled me to NEST.
    The exam board tell me i am a Non Eligible Jobholder and therefore do not make their own contributions.
    So now i am thinking having NEST is a bit pointless. Can i get my contributions for the last year out of there? Or is NEST still valuable?

Thanks

Matt
Page 1
    • hugheskevi
    • By hugheskevi 19th May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    hugheskevi
    • 19th May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:47 PM
    I also work for an exam board and they have enrolled me to NEST. The exam board tell me i am a Non Eligible Jobholder and therefore do not make their own contributions.
    This sounds contradictory. If you are a non-eligible jobholder you do not have to be automatically enrolled into the employer's pension scheme, but if you choose to opt-in then the employer has to contribute at least the statutory minimum employer contributions. Reference here.

NEST's page about the different types of workers for automatic enrolment is helpful too. Perhaps you are a worker without qualifying earnings (WWQE) or entitled worker, and your employer has referred to the wrong category.

I think the first step is to be clear yourself about what type of worker you are, and whether your employer agrees with this or not.

So now i am thinking having NEST is a bit pointless. Can i get my contributions for the last year out of there?
    You can transfer them to another pension scheme, but it may well not be worth it given it is presumably a small amount.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 19th May 19, 7:10 PM
    • 6,861 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 19th May 19, 7:10 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:10 PM
    https://www.nowpensions.com/glossary/non-eligible-workers/ may be helpful as well.

I'm guessing you don't earn enough to be *auto* enrolled, as well. But if you choose to be otherwise enrolled, then they should contribute as well.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th May 19, 7:52 PM
    • 29,935 Posts
    • 18,316 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th May 19, 7:52 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:52 PM
    https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/pensions-basics/automatic-enrolment/joining

A non-eligible jobholder is a person who doesn’t have to be auto-enrolled into a workplace pension.

They can ask to join your pension scheme, and you’ll have to pay monthly into their pension pots on a regular basis.

• Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 19th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 6,861 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 19th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:59 PM
    They can ask to join your pension scheme, and you’ll have to pay monthly into their pension pots on a regular basis.
    One thing I'm personally not clear on having only glanced at the sites, its that employees deduction only, or is this forcing the employer to contribute their 3% as well?
    • mlwillerton
    • By mlwillerton 21st May 19, 5:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mlwillerton
    • 21st May 19, 5:21 PM
    • 21st May 19, 5:21 PM
    The employer is not contributing at all
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 21st May 19, 6:04 PM
    • 6,861 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 21st May 19, 6:04 PM
    • 21st May 19, 6:04 PM
    The employer is not contributing at all
    Originally posted by mlwillerton
    While this statement doesn't surprise me, my question was about whether they should be, if you did opt in....
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 21st May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 29,935 Posts
    • 18,316 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 21st May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 21st May 19, 6:23 PM
    https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/pensions-basics/automatic-enrolment/joining

Non-eligible jobholders

Non-eligible jobholders, who are not already active members of a workplace pension scheme that meets certain minimum standards, do not have to be automatically enrolled in the employer’s workplace pension scheme, but do have the right to ask to join the scheme. They will also receive employer contributions.

Non-eligible jobholders are workers who either:

Are aged either between 16 and 21, or aged between State Pension Age and 74;
    Earn over the earnings threshold, and
    Work, or ordinarily work in the UK and have a contract of employment (i.e. so is an employee and not a self-employed contractor) or who have a contract to provide work and/ or services personally (so can’t sub-contract to a third party).

Or:

Are aged between 16 and 74;
    Earn between the lower earnings amount and the earnings threshold ; and
    Work, or ordinarily work in the UK and have a contract of employment (i.e. so is an employee and not a self-employed contractor) or who have a contract to provide work and/ or services personally (so can’t sub-contract to a third party).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,723Posts Today

7,695Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin