Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 19th May 19, 2:50 PM
    • 378Posts
    • 649Thanks
    keithdc
    Loft insulation removal
    • 19th May 19, 2:50 PM
    Loft insulation removal 19th May 19 at 2:50 PM
    We are about to have our loft insulated and boarded.

To save money, I am removing the old insulation.

Just one problem.... there is some insulation stuck around the edges of the roofspace (we recently had our roof replaced, so not sure if it got stuck when they did that).

Do I need to make an effort to remove this or can I leave it as is?

Loft-space seems generally well ventilated.
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 19th May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 6,170 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    societys child
    • 19th May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:52 PM
    Always thought 6" of new insulation was laid over the existing 4" of insulation . . . 10" in the loft and all that.

• keithdc
    • By keithdc 19th May 19, 7:05 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 19th May 19, 7:05 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:05 PM
    Always thought 6" of new insulation was laid over the existing 4" of insulation . . . 10" in the loft and all that.
    Originally posted by societys child
    Generally yes.... but, our insulation is very squashed down, and of multiple different types.
    Recommendation from all installers that have quoted is to remove and start again (after much umming and ahhing).

BTW- I believe the requirement now is 270mm (so 10" is not quite enough)
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th May 19, 5:18 AM
    • 28,411 Posts
    • 100,130 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th May 19, 5:18 AM
    • 20th May 19, 5:18 AM
    Removing the old insulation might be desirable, but I can't see how it will save money, because it will require disposal which someone (probably you!) has to pay for.

I would get all the old insulation out, so there's no doubt about the responsibility for ensuring good eaves ventilation. Use a garden rake or similar.

How much insulation you install is up to you. There's no magic figure, but the law of diminishing returns operates beyond a certain point, which may be around 300mm. I'd guess it's higher than that, but we're all guessing to an extent!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 20-05-2019 at 5:22 AM.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 20th May 19, 8:40 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 20th May 19, 8:40 AM
    • 20th May 19, 8:40 AM
    Squashed insulation means it's not effective - it needs trapped air to work (think of it like layers of clothing). Certainly at the eaves, there should be a small gap to allow ventilation in the loft. There needs to be a gap between the top of the insulation and the underside of the boarding. I used a loftzone kit to board my loft and it allows for a gap between the insulation and the loft boards. I imagine whoever is doing the work will do something similar but please check.

IIRC the greatest difference is in the first base layer of insulation. The second 170 or 200mm layer gives a smaller improvement in heat loss.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,790Posts Today

4,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin