Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Commy Trooper
    • By Commy Trooper 9th May 19, 12:49 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 80Thanks
    Commy Trooper
    Eurovision 2019 - BBC 1 @ 2000 Saturday May 18
    • 9th May 19, 12:49 PM
    Eurovision 2019 - BBC 1 @ 2000 Saturday May 18 9th May 19 at 12:49 PM
    Will you watch this spectacle on May 18?

Or do you think voting is fixed?
    Do you think Ukraine will vote for Russia?
    Or Russia for Ukraine also?

Maybe it is not about music, instead politics.

What is you opinion of this?
    Last edited by Commy Trooper; 17-05-2019 at 9:51 AM. Reason: TV details added
    I work in Sainsbury
Page 18
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 19th May 19, 8:30 AM
    • 16,152 Posts
    • 41,153 Thanks
    balletshoes
    just popped in to say thanks for the company last night . I left before saying goodbye - how rude!

I am ambivalent about UK being placed last after the public vote last night - it was as Quasar put it - soup, and it wasn't even minestrone, it was a clear broth. UK gave its 12 points in the public vote to Norway - which I'm on board with.

I was literally on the edge of my sofa during the public voting results - you can't deny its a fabulous way of keeping the audience until the very last minute. But it must be absolutely horrible for the competitors, I just wanted to give the Swedish guy a hug after he lost.

UK and the other straight-to-the-final countries should definitely stop being major contributors and then be treated the same as everyone else.

Didn't watch Madame Pirate, and from what i've seen on here and other forums, I made the right decision .
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 19th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 18,377 Posts
    • 114,063 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Didn't join in last night. I am a die hard Eurovision fan, have been to the contest twice. This year it was too far, so went to Eurovision in Concert in Amsterdam instead.

I've seen Michael Rice sing the song live twice and he is a competent singer. However he has absolutely zero charisma or stage presence. He was also singing a second choice song written by someone who didn't win.

If we want to do well, we need to stop what we are doing and use a similar format to Sweden or Australia. Not target winning initially, but to get on the left hand side.

Look also at the big 5 and host. 4 of them were bottom right. It is a big impediment as they dont get the same exposure. Soldi was a hit over Europe in the months before (the only real hit in depth) and Bilal (France) is a blogger with a huge presence online. Not easy to compete against either.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 19th May 19, 4:12 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 2,109 Thanks
    no1catman
    We have the most successful 'Pop' industry in Europe but for our stars - the Eurovision is so un-cool it' the kiss of death to be involved.
    But if the Beeb knew the Spice girls were getting back to together would it have been so impossible to get them involved!?

Our approach via 'talent shows' clearly isn't working so if (and it's a big if) we are to stay in it - there is IMHO an alternative.
    Rather than continue with the 'Pop' route, let's go back to our British roots - something like 'Men aloud' or the 'Fishermen's Friends'.

I can imagine the latter with stirring sea shanties with evocative film of sailing ships in rough sea is shown on the background!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Commy Trooper
    • By Commy Trooper 19th May 19, 6:22 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Commy Trooper
    I would like to see DPRK in Eurovision

I work in Sainsbury
    • steve900
    • By steve900 19th May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    steve900
    Darn, I wish I knew this thread was here before now.

Well I tuned in, had my score cards, telephoned and voted for my favourite and then threw my remote control across the room at the end!!!

Best wishes to the Netherlands on winning, but I don't understand the results at all.

I am so out of tune with what Europe seems to like, I feel old or I have bad taste.

I did note that the jury of Norway, Hungary, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, and Switzerland gave us points. None of them even our neighbours but how the voting goes is really most bizzare.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th May 19, 5:52 AM
    • 9,281 Posts
    • 2,369 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    QUOTE=no1catman;75829156]We have the most successful 'Pop' industry in Europe but for our stars - the Eurovision is so un-cool it' the kiss of death to be involved.
    But if the Beeb knew the Spice girls were getting back to together would it have been so impossible to get them involved!?

Our approach via 'talent shows' clearly isn't working so if (and it's a big if) we are to stay in it - there is IMHO an alternative.
    Rather than continue with the 'Pop' route, let's go back to our British roots - something like 'Men aloud' or the 'Fishermen's Friends'.

I can imagine the latter with stirring sea shanties with evocative film of sailing ships in rough sea is shown on the background![/QUOTE]
    To win again - we need to cancel Brexit AND Employ ABBA /Bucks Fizz
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,192Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter