Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 18th May 19, 8:09 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 4Thanks
    loislane99
    Advice on settling privately vs through insurance
    • 18th May 19, 8:09 PM
    Advice on settling privately vs through insurance 18th May 19 at 8:09 PM
    Hi
    So, I clipped another car in a petrol station at the start of April but was completely unaware it had happened until the police contacted me a week or so ago. The damage to the other car must be minor but it was a brand new car.... anyway, I advised my insurance about it after agonising over whether to or not but have just been contacted by the other party. Apparently they had a repair done through their insurance at the time of the incident and paid 200 excess because of not having my details. They have offered for me to reimburse them the 200 and they won't pass my details to their insurance. I'm not sure if this is the best way for me to go or not... any thoughts?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th May 19, 9:53 PM
    • 39,267 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th May 19, 9:53 PM
    • 18th May 19, 9:53 PM
    Treat this "offer" with suspicion.

If they have genuinely done this, then the consequences for them will be far more than 200!

(They would lose NCD if not protected/have a fault claim on their record - both unnecessary! And they would have lied to their insurer about not knowing you to be the "guilty party")

Ignore the offer
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 18th May 19, 10:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loislane99
    • 18th May 19, 10:31 PM
    • 18th May 19, 10:31 PM
    They did say they have no claims protection and they used police evidence when putting the claim through (English isn't their first language so that last bit, I'm not totally clear on what they mean)
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 18th May 19, 10:38 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 18th May 19, 10:38 PM
    • 18th May 19, 10:38 PM
    Ignore the offer. This is what insurance is for. The chances are they will try to claim the 200 off your insurance company even if you do pay.
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 19th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loislane99
    • 19th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 19th May 19, 8:13 AM
    Would it be an option to draft up as simple agreement and ask them to sign to say they won't process a claim? I'm really worried about being able to afford the increased premiums, I'm assuming that will work out a lot more than 200....
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 19th May 19, 8:53 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 19th May 19, 8:53 AM
    • 19th May 19, 8:53 AM
    Your insurance will increase as you are now a higher risk due to having one accident.

If you settle the 200 excess to the third party are you prepared to settle the rest of the bill paid by the insurance company?
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 19th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loislane99
    • 19th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 19th May 19, 9:10 AM
    Your insurance will increase as you are now a higher risk due to having one accident.

If you settle the 200 excess to the third party are you prepared to settle the rest of the bill paid by the insurance company?
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    Why would I need to settle the bill? Not sure I understand. He has said (in a text message) if I settle the excess then it will settle everything as he has his NCB protected.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th May 19, 9:28 AM
    • 39,267 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 19th May 19, 9:28 AM
    • 19th May 19, 9:28 AM
    Why would I need to settle the bill? Not sure I understand. He has said (in a text message) if I settle the excess then it will settle everything as he has his NCB protected.
    Originally posted by loislane99
    You are misunderstanding.

You say this incident was your fault. Simply paying his excess yourself doesn't end this for you

If you were to pay this chancer it doesn't help your future premiums at all!

You now have a fault claim on your record.

Your insurer will deal with the third party's uninsured losses which includes this excess.

They also will be reimbursing the third party insurer their outlay on repairs.

Don't get involved in a private deal like this!!
    Last edited by Quentin; 19-05-2019 at 9:30 AM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th May 19, 9:34 AM
    • 39,267 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 19th May 19, 9:34 AM
    • 19th May 19, 9:34 AM
    Would it be an option to draft up as simple agreement and ask them to sign to say they won't process a claim? I'm really worried about being able to afford the increased premiums, I'm assuming that will work out a lot more than 200....
    Again you misunderstand

The third party already made a claim!

His insurer wouldn't pay his excess. It's an uninsured loss which the third party must pursue any liable party to reimburse them

Your insurer will pay them

Pass on any correspondence you get over this to your insurer to deal with
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 19th May 19, 9:42 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    The agreement with him is to settle his uninsured losses ie his excess.

His insurance company would have paid the rest of the repair bill to the garage, that will be outstanding and will need to be repaid by you.

Again, I ask, are you prepared to settle the excess paid by the third party and the bill paid by his insurance company?

Leave it to your insurance company to settle both costs as you are opening up a can of worms.
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 19th May 19, 10:11 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loislane99
    Ok. Please bear with me, this is all completely new to me and I would like to make sure I get it.

The other party says they made a claim immediately, basically because they wanted
    their brand new car to keep looking new. He seems to think this claim is processed and done and closed with him having paid the 200 excess. He also seems to think that if I reimbursed that excess, he would never have to give his insurance company my details and so my insurance company would never have to process a claim. I'd therefore have an at fault incident on my record but with no claim made (which I assume may make a small difference to the premium increase).

I believe what I'm being told here is that this isn't correct - his insurance company will ultimately need to pursue a claim, that it's essentially kept open until he provides my details which he didn't have at the time of making the claim because I was unaware I had clipped his car and so he had to contact the police to get cctv checked and get my details through them. So the deal he has offered can not work.

Am I getting this right now? Sorry, I appreciate any patience you have to help me get this!
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    His insurers already have your details if they have the CCTV footage.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th May 19, 11:46 AM
    • 39,267 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    Quentin
    The claim is done as far as the third party is concerned ( or will be when he gets his uninsured losses reimbursed!)

His insurance will have your details!

You can get an idea of what difference this does to your future premium now by doing dummy quotes online with the claim in your history
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 19th May 19, 11:57 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Zorillo
    I suspect the third party is lying to you as he sees an opportunity to extract 200 from you.

Either that, or he's truly naive. If he hasn't already told them your details despite the fact he knows them, he's risking having his own policy voided amongst other complications, for absolutely no discernible benefit to him.

There is literally no advantage in you agreeing to settle his 200 privately. Leave it to your insurance company.
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 19th May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Zorillo
    Incidentally, I assume you have seen the CCTV footage yourself or satisfied yourself that the police person that contacted you really was one and that this incident did really happen?
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 19th May 19, 6:04 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loislane99
    Incidentally, I assume you have seen the CCTV footage yourself or satisfied yourself that the police person that contacted you really was one and that this incident did really happen?
    Originally posted by Zorillo
    Yes, I spoke to a very helpful police officer, so that's all fine.
    • loislane99
    • By loislane99 19th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loislane99
    I suspect the third party is lying to you as he sees an opportunity to extract 200 from you.

Either that, or he's truly naive. If he hasn't already told them your details despite the fact he knows them, he's risking having his own policy voided amongst other complications, for absolutely no discernible benefit to him.

There is literally no advantage in you agreeing to settle his 200 privately. Leave it to your insurance company.
    Originally posted by Zorillo
    I feel it might be naivety.. but of course I don't know this person so it could be either.

Thanks (and thanks to everyone else who replied too) for taking the time to work through this with me and help me understand, I'll leave it to my insurance company.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 21st May 19, 12:37 PM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Mistral001
    You do not have a choice on whether you inform your insurance or not. That is not unless you want to effectively invalidate your insurance and risk your insurers not paying out in future claims. The same goes for the guy you hit.

Keep your insurers informed every step of the way and do nothing without getting it agreed with them first.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 22nd May 19, 11:01 AM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 3,605 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    I have to echo the above posts, but also have to ask - how do you not know you've hit something?
    I've been in many 'tight' situations where I've been close to another car but not hit it, and panicked like a madman - to actually have made contact would have been something I'd be aware of for sure.

Just seems rather odd! Good luck with the claim etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,898Posts Today

8,062Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin