Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DawnRose8
    • By DawnRose8 19th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 7Thanks
    DawnRose8
    How to leave GiffGaff? Using data too fast!
    • 19th May 19, 5:01 PM
    How to leave GiffGaff? Using data too fast! 19th May 19 at 5:01 PM
    My daughter's phone has a GiffGaff sim but it's hemorrhaging data and costing me a fortune.
    She's turned off apps to save wasting money on background functions but uses her phone to listen to music and it's lasting no time before I have to top up again.
    There's loads of stuff online about this being a problem with GiffGaff but none on how to ditch them.
    Do I have to get a new sim and change her number? Will she lose her contacts, photos etc? Sorry I have no clue with all this.
    Thanks.
Page 1
  • archived user
    • 19th May 19, 5:40 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:40 PM
    My daughter's phone has a GiffGaff sim but it's hemorrhaging data and costing me a fortune.
    Originally posted by DawnRose8
    Solution is simple. If she's over 18 get her to get one in her own name or PAYG if she can't pass a credit check.
    She's turned off apps to save wasting money on background functions but uses her phone to listen to music and it's lasting no time before I have to top up again.
    There's loads of stuff online about this being a problem with GiffGaff but none on how to ditch them.
    Do I have to get a new sim and change her number? Will she lose her contacts, photos etc? Sorry I have no clue with all this.
    Thanks.
    Is she connecting to home wifi at home and mostly using it at home? If so you need to check that its not like my phone which will use both wifi and mobile network for data to increase the speed. If she's using Spotify Premium or Amazon Music she can download music to listen to offline.

Ultimately though if she's using lots of data it'll be no different on another network. If you change network you can port the number using a PAC code. You request a PAC code from Giff Gaff, sign up to new network, give them the PAC Code and a few working days later her old number is on the new network. Using the PAC code usually terminates any mobile phone contract. Contacts will only be lost if they're stored on the SIM card but she can copy them to the phone memory before swapping. Photos etc will be unaffected.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 19th May 19, 5:44 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 19th May 19, 5:44 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:44 PM
    Why not try her on the 25 goodybag? This has unlimited data but puts a speed restriction after 20GB.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th May 19, 5:51 PM
    • 34,402 Posts
    • 21,745 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th May 19, 5:51 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:51 PM
    Maybe you need a contract where you can put a cap on it, Tesco is one.

You just port her number, it wont be lost.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 19-05-2019 at 6:00 PM.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 19th May 19, 6:00 PM
    • 51,710 Posts
    • 21,932 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 19th May 19, 6:00 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:00 PM
    Originally posted by DawnRose8
    Hardly a surprise as audio streaming uses ~ 50-140Mb per hour
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 19th May 19, 7:33 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 19th May 19, 7:33 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:33 PM
    Contacts will only be lost if they're stored on the SIM card but she can copy them to the phone memory before swapping. Photos etc will be unaffected.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    If the contacts are synced to your Google account (for Android) (or the iCloud for Apple devices) then changing the SIM doesn't change this.

The photos are different - sim changing won't affect them but I can't be sure if you have to opt in to Google Photos to archive those automatically.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 19th May 19, 7:54 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 19th May 19, 7:54 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:54 PM
    The problem isn't with Giffgaff, the problem is with your daughter and the way she uses her phone.

No matter which network you use the data usage will be the same.

Follow the advice given in the replies above with regard to setting up the phone and downloading files using your home WiFi for offline use. Alternatively find a provider that will give a greater data allowance for not a lot more money.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 19th May 19, 9:50 PM
    • 12,957 Posts
    • 9,695 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 19th May 19, 9:50 PM
    • 19th May 19, 9:50 PM
    The problem isn't with Giffgaff, the problem is with your daughter and the way she uses her phone.

No matter which network you use the data usage will be the same.

Follow the advice given in the replies above with regard to setting up the phone and downloading files using your home WiFi for offline use. Alternatively find a provider that will give a greater data allowance for not a lot more money.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    Totally agree. I fail to see how this is just a problem related to Giffgaff, the data usage is solely down to the daughter.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th May 19, 10:43 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 19th May 19, 10:43 PM
    • 19th May 19, 10:43 PM
    I use Giff Gaff but find the 7.50 package fine (even better with the minutes following a price increase to 8). I have numerous wireless links for various venues, railway companies, friend's houses and so forth and never get anywhere near my data limits.

Give her a set amount of money and let her sort the issue out herself, after all, she is meant to be a digital native.:-)

Mind you, those of us from the early days of the internet and using 9.6 kilobit US Robotic modems probably have more respect for bandwidth!
  • archived user
    Hardly a surprise as audio streaming uses ~ 50-140Mb per hour
    Originally posted by grumbler
    I stream Spotify a lot as in hours a night sometimes as well as streaming 2hr shows on BBC Sounds App and watching YouTube. Even including app updates and using Satnav extensively my data usually tops out at no more than 10GB.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th May 19, 7:29 AM
    • 12,541 Posts
    • 5,651 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Daughter is streaming over Giffgaff network and has to pay . Streaming over home wifi is free .
    Its not Giffgaff as said .
    I have Giffgaff sim and data costs me about 40p per year .
    I would suggest turning data off on the phone as a starter .
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th May 19, 7:33 AM
    • 7,135 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    DoaM
    As others have said, this is not a giffgaff problem ... if she went to another provider she'd have exactly the same problem (unless the provider offered a fixed data cap - reach it and data stops until the next monthly allowance arrives). Set her phone to use WiFi when available ... or turn mobile data off altogether.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th May 19, 7:43 AM
    • 51,710 Posts
    • 21,932 Thanks
    grumbler
    I stream Spotify a lot as in hours a night sometimes as well as streaming 2hr shows on BBC Sounds App and watching YouTube. Even including app updates and using Satnav extensively my data usually tops out at no more than 10GB.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Well, there are 4 different settings for Spotify. At 40Mb/h, 10Gb is 250 hours.

We don't know what goodybag the daughter uses and what rate she streams the music at.
    Last edited by grumbler; 20-05-2019 at 6:36 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th May 19, 7:55 AM
    • 7,135 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    DoaM
    To answer the question raised by the OP ... leaving giffgaff is easy, you simply don't recur the goodybag. If she wants to port her number to another provider simply raise a request with an agent for a PAC code. Any airtime credit she has will be lost if/when she migrates.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 20th May 19, 8:25 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    20aday
    It's part of Vodafone and therefore you'd be best off checking what their coverage is like where you are but Voxi might be worth a look:

https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans

For 5/month you can buy an extra which gives you 'unlimited' access to music streaming services such as Spotify.

So long as you have some data left you can use things like Facebook etc without using data too.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 20th May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Three do a number of contracts with unlimited data, however, I refused to put my son on this to help teach him how to limit and learn about usage and costs. When is Data runs out, he has to wait until it resets.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 20th May 19, 11:36 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    Geodark
    My son has Amazon music on his phone, he just downloads the music he wants to listen to at home via wifi before he goes out, then he doesnt need to stream or download while he is out.
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 20th May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Alexd52
    It's part of Vodafone and therefore you'd be best off checking what their coverage is like where you are but Voxi might be worth a look:

https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans

For 5/month you can buy an extra which gives you 'unlimited' access to music streaming services such as Spotify.

So long as you have some data left you can use things like Facebook etc without using data too.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    GiffGaff is on the O2 network, not vodafone
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 20th May 19, 11:55 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    Geodark
    Originally posted by Alexd52
    Read what they put again, they are saying voxi are on the vodaphone network
    • Niv
    • By Niv 20th May 19, 11:56 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    Niv
    Originally posted by Alexd52

I initially read it like that too, But I think he means that voxi is on Vodaphone?
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

502Posts Today

6,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin