Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 19th May 19, 1:09 PM
    • 1,021Posts
    • 2,288Thanks
    BBH123
    Help please , new rescue dog has anxieties
    • 19th May 19, 1:09 PM
    Help please , new rescue dog has anxieties 19th May 19 at 1:09 PM
    I have taken on a rescue dog of two and a half straight from someone's home and he was delivered Thursday. All was well until last night when out the blue he started displaying anxieties about being indoors , constant pacing ,panting etc. He wouldn't settle for ages and fell asleep exhausted and today the same anxieties. In every way he is wonderful and outside absolutely fine. We were told he was surrendered as the owner had 4 young kids and no time for him so we wonder now if he was kept in the garden . How do we help him , it's awful seeing this, his whole world has changed x
    Save 6k in 2019 challenge #44
    1577 / 6000
Page 1
    • es5595
    • By es5595 19th May 19, 1:50 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    es5595
    • 19th May 19, 1:50 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:50 PM
    I'd speak to the rescue you got him from and seek their advice.

It may be the change of scenery and home, he might be missing his previous home/owners, he won't know whats going on.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 19th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    • 19th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 19th May 19, 2:28 PM
    A dog that was fine and has suddenly started panting excessively, pacing and showing signs of distress needs to go to a vet first and foremost!

Seeing as this dog has come straight from its last home and through a proper rescue, don’t be sure you can believe anything you were told about it or it’s history, it may be that they wanted rid of the dog due to a health issue.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 19th May 19, 3:20 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 19th May 19, 3:20 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:20 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts, we were at the vet yesterday and he was fine and we've booked in again. I'm thinking the reason he was fine initially was the really long journey with multiple transport changes left him beat. If I'm honest I think it's his new surroundings and sensory load. He is actually sleeping now as we've been for a quiet walk. I will take him to the vet quicker if I medical concerns .
    1577 / 6000
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th May 19, 5:06 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 4,951 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 19th May 19, 5:06 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:06 PM
    Make sure he has a safe ,quiet place he can retreat to when he wants- a covered crate would be ideal.

Don't overload him with attention or experiences. I allow a new dog to please itself as far as possible for three weeks.
    Obviously, bad behaviour can't be ignored but otherwise I don't ask very much of them.

Certainly, no lots of visitors or taking him visiting. Keep walks simple and local so gets to know his new environment.

Don't force a lot of attention on him. Let him come to you in his own time.

You could try some Rescue Rermedy but make sure you get the animal one.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 19th May 19, 5:36 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 19th May 19, 5:36 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:36 PM
    Thankyou Sheramber that's really useful advice , you maybe right in that I have overloaded his senses , I will interact less and wait for him to come to me x
    1577 / 6000
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 21st May 19, 9:18 PM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 28,865 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 21st May 19, 9:18 PM
    • 21st May 19, 9:18 PM
    There are plug-in pheromone diffusers for dogs (eg. Adaptil) and cats (eg. Feliway).

The dog should start to acclimatise once they see you as the provider of 'all good things' (tasty meals, gentle praise, walks, playtime).

Consider going down to their level - sit on the floor in the same room - and talking calmly/ reading out loud to your new dog. This can help you look smaller and thus less scary, and get them used to your smell and your voice.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 24th May 19, 9:51 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 39,522 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 24th May 19, 9:51 PM
    • 24th May 19, 9:51 PM
    You might find some helpful suggestions here:

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/dogs/behaviour/separationrelatedbehaviour/treatment
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (3.04.5) + RK 8.03
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 31st May 19, 11:04 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    • 31st May 19, 11:04 AM
    • 31st May 19, 11:04 AM
    We rescued our lurcher from a rescue centre around 7 years ago. When we met him at the centre, he was lovely. Great with all of us and my MIL's dogs, who we lived with at the time.

For some reason, the second day home he began showing nervous aggression towards people - something he still had a bit of until the day he passed away in October.

I have never understood, or found the right answers as to why a dog which showed us affection and love from the moment we met him became nervous and aggressive around everyone else. Was it the change of scenery, did he feel safe, was he clever and put a show on for us so we'd take him home? ( He was an extremely clever dog, and I actually believe the latter somewhat )

He did get better over time, we took him to training classes to build his confidence, followed routines in the house - feeding, walking, training etc. He previously slept in a crate, so we got him one of them and he definitely felt safe in there. He became a great and loyal dog, much more loyal than a lot of puppies I've seen brought up by other people.

I would suggest plenty of excercise and maybe some training sessions. The training will help with the bonding, which in turn will help with his anxieties. Give him space, love and respect and he will settle down.
    Last edited by MrBrindle; 31-05-2019 at 3:38 PM.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 31st May 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    BBH123
    Thankyou for your advice everyone. I thought I'd give an update now he has been here a couple of weeks or so.

I am pleased to say he has settled really well and the main thing was to let him come to me rather than me trying to soothe him. A routine and exercise have also done the trick , together with knowing his surroundings. He is a wonderful dog and loves playing ball.
    1577 / 6000
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 1st Jun 19, 1:16 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 4,951 Thanks
    sheramber
    Glad to read this and hear that is has worked out well.

I hope you have many happy years together.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,662Posts Today

7,983Users online

Martin's Twitter