Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evvo
    • By evvo 19th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 448Thanks
    evvo
    Misleading item description
    • 19th May 19, 4:27 PM
    Misleading item description 19th May 19 at 4:27 PM
    Don't really know where I stand on this one. Help please.

I visited a fairly local Golf shop this past Friday to look at, and then decide whether to purchase a particular driver club or not.

Upon arrival the particular club was shown to me, but at £189.99 was above my budget of £150.

I was shown alternative new drivers that I, as a leisure player would be more suited to. I liked one in particular and was told that the cheaper version of this club (£138.99) had a composite shaft, but a lightweight graphite shaft would be more suited to myself.
    This club I was informed was £169.99 although no price tag was actually on the club. I purchased the club and was charged £170.00 on my credit card.

Upon arrival back home, I check out this golf shop's website and found the actual club with a lightweight graphite shaft (the same as that purchased) was being sold for £138.99, and have since found out that the manufacturer does not manufacture this new driver club with a composite material shaft, only the graphite type.

I contacted the seller by e-mail on Friday afternoon informing him of the above and that he must have been mistaken about the type of shafts available for this club and asked for the £31.01 difference to be refunded. No reply and I don't really expect one after reading independent reviews of this outlet.

Never been in this situation before, although 70 years old....Advice please.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th May 19, 4:48 PM
    • 34,391 Posts
    • 21,741 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th May 19, 4:48 PM
    • 19th May 19, 4:48 PM
    Id take it back for a refund and buy the club you want.
    • evvo
    • By evvo 19th May 19, 4:57 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    evvo
    • 19th May 19, 4:57 PM
    • 19th May 19, 4:57 PM
    The thing is, I would like to keep this club, hence asking for a refund of the difference in price...

A degree of dishonesty comes to mind, so doubt I'd get a full refund although I have not used the club.

One recent review on Trustpilot:

"This shop is a total con, he preys on the novice or uneducated golfer. He doesn’t have prices on products and then charges up to double the prices you’d pay in other more reputable golf shops"

Wished I'd read this before purchasing.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 19th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 4,521 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 19th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:04 PM
    Problem you have is retailers are allowed to have different prices for online and in-store. And as far as mistaken 'advice' its just your word against his.

Unfortunately an expensive lesson.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th May 19, 5:32 PM
    • 34,391 Posts
    • 21,741 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th May 19, 5:32 PM
    • 19th May 19, 5:32 PM
    See if you could get a refund, does the website mention anything about refunds for in store purchases, no harm in asking is there.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 19-05-2019 at 5:35 PM.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 19th May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 5,260 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 19th May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 19th May 19, 8:41 PM
    See if you could get a refund, does the website mention anything about refunds for in store purchases, no harm in asking is there.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I agree. If you're a regular golfer there are always going to be things you need to buy, so if they're reluctant to refund, offer to buy other items to match the difference in price.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 20th May 19, 6:56 AM
    • 17,296 Posts
    • 13,478 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 20th May 19, 6:56 AM
    • 20th May 19, 6:56 AM
    Very bad reviews about them, at be worth naming them on here at some point perhaps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,841Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin