Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,673Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 133
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 19, 7:23 AM
    • 9,450 Posts
    • 31,688 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Tchibo have a really good customer service rep - it might be worth researching the make & model & then emailing them for help? Not being the original customer will be the biggest tripping point, but they may have things to suggest by email.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th May 19, 8:40 AM
    • 22,616 Posts
    • 61,189 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OT, how're your feet coming along Pollycat?
    How soon before you are allowed back out on the hunt?!
    (And then decked by the medics as they gnaw the other one)
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Pollycat can you do yet?
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Hi guys.
    Thanks for asking.
    9 weeks in and have finished with the boot and am into trainers, walking very slowly.
    My foot is still pretty swollen, especially towards the end of the day if I've not rested up.
    Apparently that's to be expected for 6 months and maybe longer.

I've just bought 4 pair of identical trainers.
    2 pair of size 3 (my size) and 2 pair of size 4.
    I'll wear size 4 on my operated foot and size 3 on my other foot.
    1 pair for indoors, 1 pair for outdoors.
    Then when I have the other foot done, I'll swop over.

I'll be in trainers until the end of August (at least), 6 month checkup mid September.
    Still getting random pain which apparently is normal.

Long, slow job.
    I did visit my first charity shop yesterday but no bargains.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 19, 10:42 AM
    • 9,450 Posts
    • 31,688 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Owch! To walk carefully into a cs (hurrah!) & emerge empty handed - that is painful beyond medicine.

Loving the plural trainers waltz you have planned - applause!

Can you make it to Nettlebed for a spirits boosting hunt?
    • patricia50
    • By patricia50 19th May 19, 4:33 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    patricia50
    Bought a few bits over the last week or two but my two stand out items have to be a soft wool/alpaca kimono style cardigan that apparently retails at £89.99. ( two on eBay at £40 each but this was for me) Also a Jaeger jacket, biker style in a fluffy tweedy fabric. The cardigan was £1 and the jacket £2.50
    • janb5
    • By janb5 20th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,984 Thanks
    janb5
    Tchibo have a really good customer service rep - it might be worth researching the make & model & then emailing them for help? Not being the original customer will be the biggest tripping point, but they may have things to suggest by email.
    Hiya ..just to let you know that I did email Tchibo but they were unable to help. I thanked them for replying so swiftly.

A great tip though and much appreciated
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 20th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 9,450 Posts
    • 31,688 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Y’know those little plastic chests of drawers for the hobbyists and model railway layout enthusiasts? Himself has rolled back with two, one big [& matching an existing one so they’re now clipped together (oh gods)] & one smaller - £1.50 a piece.
    And a sleeping bag & liner £5 (new, should have been £40) & a heap of books shrewdly targeted at sons’ known hobbies & interests & an expensive box of paper - ‘gold’ parchment which himself fondly believes I have a use for - well, at 50 pence I can probably find something...
    • Miró
    • By Miró 21st May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 25,900 Thanks
    Miró
    In the St Gemma's Hospice, 99p shop this afty I found an M & S white linen short sleeved top. With intricate pin tuckings and dartings and as new.

Then in the community chazza I spotted a new, memory foam cat bed, (shrink wrapped and in it's box) priced at £2.95. Thought I would treat the resident moggy, Albert, as he is getting on a bit and has a touch of arthritis. Unboxed said bed and expecting purrs of delight I plonked said cat in.....got that death stare that says 'what the heck do you think you are doing' and the ungrateful creature very slowly and deliberately crawled out of the pawsh new bed, hopped into the cardboard box settled down and went to sleep! Cats!!!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 21st May 19, 8:57 PM
    • 10,227 Posts
    • 16,792 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    In the St Gemma's Hospice, 99p shop this afty I found an M & S white linen short sleeved top. With intricate pin tuckings and dartings and as new.

Then in the community chazza I spotted a new, memory foam cat bed, (shrink wrapped and in it's box) priced at £2.95. Thought I would treat the resident moggy, Albert, as he is getting on a bit and has a touch of arthritis. Unboxed said bed and expecting purrs of delight I plonked said cat in.....got that death stare that says 'what the heck do you think you are doing' and the ungrateful creature very slowly and deliberately crawled out of the pawsh new bed, hopped into the cardboard box settled down and went to sleep! Cats!!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Ah, that's where you went wrong. It has to be his idea!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• C J
    • By C J 22nd May 19, 4:57 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 7,336 Thanks
    C J
    I’d suggest stroking the cat with a small towel, then wiping the towel all over the new cat bed so it smells familiar to him.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 22nd May 19, 10:52 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Hello everyone! I have been catching up on all of your goodies for the past few days and they all sound fantastic. Miro- you have done really well over the past few months. I am jealous of your goodies! I hope you feel better Pollycat and you are able to go out on the prowl soon!

I returned home for a bit of RnR before my exam on the 10th June and I decided to go into Banardo's and Sue Ryder in Wickford on a bit of a whim. It ended up being a good decision.

From Sue Ryder:
    An oval, shabby chic mirror- £3.50. I was very happy with this as it matches a vintage wood jewellery box that I bought and repainted with white chalk paint a few months ago in the same charity shop. I am going to customise it by picking out the details with my silver gilding wax.
    A very nice quality navy gilet from Gill Marine- £5.25. This was in perfect condition and would have been very expensive brand new (a less fancy one is £99 on the website!!!). This will allow me to live my country walk fantasies so I am delighted.
    A NWT blue stripe off the shoulder blouse from Next- £3.75. Not too exciting but it is pretty.

From Banardo's:
    A navy, long-length Cos cardigan with textured panels in the front- £3.50. Not terribly exciting, but it is quite flattering over my generous hips.
    An iridescent white Oliver Bonas blouse with a V back and puffy sleeves- £3. I love this, it's very feminine.
    A knee length, A-line skirt in black from Max Mara Studio- £2 (!!!!). This is honestly the piece de resistance! My only concern is how to wash this now as it's fully lined and in a suit type fabric. I don't want to ruin it in the washing machine!

I will go and check the other two charity shops in town today!
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 22nd May 19, 11:42 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Potternerd
    3 Le Creuset cobalt blue ramekins for 1.50 in Sue Ryder, a beaten metal silver coloured bangle 79p and a White Stuff metallic suede shoulder bag £4.99 both in Oxfam. The bag is a bit grubby but I think I can restore it.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd May 19, 1:01 PM
    • 9,450 Posts
    • 31,688 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Ah Miro! With cats, you can have the most lovely intentions & end up with shredded tights, something icky smeared along one ankle and a strong sense of the universe is unjust.

(This would be as the cats run it.)
    [You have a better suggestion?]

Still, you have achieved something - your cat has adopted the box.

Shove the pawsh bed somewhere mostly out of reach & wait. Feline curiosity will inspect it and realise it as worthy, but it needs first a niff of the not-thought-suited-to, that he can settle on it and Prove You Wrong, Again...
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 22nd May 19, 1:42 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Loving everyone's finds, especially yours, Laredouter! The Oliver Bonas top sounds lovely. I have been wearing the Cos top I bought a few weeks ago to work and getting lots of compliments on it. Happy wearing!

Working from home today so I walked to our small high street at lunch time to donate to the Sue Ryder there and of course have a look round. I bought a River Island vest - silky cream material, long-line and flowing, with navy blue stars on it. £3.50 and will be coming on holiday to Bermuda with me. I nearly bought an Adidas slightly retro tennis top for working out in but the cut over the arms was odd so I was sensible and put it back.

I went a little wild in the shoe section, however. I lost some weight a few years ago and since then my feet are a 5 or 5.5, although all my adult life before that I used to be a 6. I do find my size can be anything from a 5 to a 6, depending on style and brand. Anyway, there was a pair of nice dull silver slip-on ballet flats. I could tell by the stickers still inside that they were TKMaxx, and presumably unworn. They were a 5.5 allegedly, but I couldn't get them on! Worse was to come as I then found a BEAUTIFUL pair of brand new Clarks brogues. Stickering suggests they had come from the outlet store near us. They were cream, with a slight elevated sole that had neon pink trim round it. I wanted them so much (only a fiver!), but they were a size 7, and falling off my feet.

I did buy a pair of cork-soled flipflops for Bermuda. Brand new again - with labels on. They are a brand called Mellachia, which sounds Spanish to me, and the original pricing was in euros. They had been 12.95 euro, then 9.95, and I got them for £3. So I think they are a cheap and cheerful Spanish brand, but for £3 they will be perfect for the beach.

I then bought a pair of Next trainers. They are a size 6 and a bit big (but I only had pop socks on, not proper socks). Olive green, very light and soft and perfect for spring and autumn. they were £4. I fear I might have bought them to make myself feel better about the Clarks debacle, but we'll see. If they don't work I will re-donate them.

This weekend I am planning a trip to my happy hunting ground in the market town near us. I am already excited!

M100
    • Miró
    • By Miró 22nd May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 25,900 Thanks
    Miró
    I’d suggest stroking the cat with a small towel, then wiping the towel all over the new cat bed so it smells familiar to him.
    Originally posted by C J

Still, you have achieved something - your cat has adopted the box.

Shove the pawsh bed somewhere mostly out of reach & wait. Feline curiosity will inspect it and realise it as worthy, but it needs first a niff of the not-thought-suited-to, that he can settle on it and Prove You Wrong, Again...
    Mwahaha....a small victory!! I relocated Albert's favourite rat from the window sill where he normally lives and placed him in the new bed along with a heavily 'scented' small fleece blanket and a few strategically placed Dreamies, (not a real rat ... an Ikea stuffy!). I felt a bit guilty as this led to A wandering about all evening mewing piteously cos he couldn't find his friend. (Still ignoring the new bed) Anyhoo, orft out I goes this afty, calling into the hospice chazza* on my way and when I returned I peered through the window to find a big ginger lump curled up in the new bed hugging his ratty. Yay!!! Of course as soon as I walked in the room he shot out of the bed as if to say 'that wasn't me in there'!

*Bought a pair of ankle grazer Damart trousers in navy with little zips at the ankles in an interestingly textured twill sort of cotton fabric. £2
    • C J
    • By C J 22nd May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 7,336 Thanks
    C J
    Yay, Albert!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 22nd May 19, 5:12 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Albert is an absolutely amazing name for a cat. My baby is called Sam and he's a black and white lump.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 22nd May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 25,900 Thanks
    Miró
    Yay, Albert!
    Originally posted by C J
    Albert is an absolutely amazing name for a cat. My baby is called Sam and he's a black and white lump.
    Originally posted by Laredouter
    He's 'Bertie' when he's being good, (last happened about 1974)! He had a beautiful calico sister called Doris...went to the Rainbow Bridge 2 years ago Even as kittens they were like 2 grumpy pensioners - hence the names.
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 22nd May 19, 9:57 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Laredouter
    I went to the other two charity shops today and I did get some more goodies.

A heart shaped, blue jasper Wedgwood trinket dish- £1. I have put my most used jewellery into it for easy access and it looks very pinterest-able!

A large Royal Albert serving platter in the Tiffany pattern- £3. I had no idea what I was going to use this for but it was beautiful so I bought it anyway. It was very bulky as a cosmetics tray and it looked very awkward on my dressing table. However, I propped it up on the back of my shelf and it makes a rather charming centre piece to an arrangement. I was inspired and bought two LE Coalport ladies from the Fairest Flowers collection on fleabay to put on the shelf with it. I am delighted with it.

A grey wool and silk blend cocoon coat by Forever New (Aussie brand) - £unknown. It is a beautiful coat, with both a soft and cosy outer and soft lining. It is lovely quality but I wasn't sure if I could justify spending £10 on it. I put it back and went to another shop, couldn't stop thinking about it and ran back to the shop which had just been closed up. I must have looked stricken because the lady asked what it was I was after. I told her I wanted the coat and she let me back in, on the condition I pay with cash. I rooted through my purse but could only find £8 and a handful of coppers. She let me have it for however much that was. I am going to treat it and my rust coloured winter coat to a dry clean next week and put them away for winter. Very pleased
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 22nd May 19, 10:28 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Laredoubter anything from Max Mara deserves dry cleaning. What a fabulous find, I am green with envy
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 23rd May 19, 6:15 AM
    • 4,533 Posts
    • 42,010 Thanks
    dolly84
    miro - bless your little cat, they are such amusing creatures.

Laredouter - you are having a lucky streak.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

666Posts Today

6,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin