Tesco axing products.

hecate
hecate Posts: 26 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Being housebound and with no transport,I've used Tesco's home delivery service for many years without a problem but now I'm having to find an alternative.They are axing 20% of their products but in my case.it's 25 of the 40 items I buy regularly.With the next cheapest alternative offered,my weekly shopping bill will rise from £70.00 to around £92.00.For medical reasons I can only drink bottled water-I don't drink tea,coffee.juice,soft drinks etc.I was more than happy with the own brand but this has now gone-the next cheapest is three times the price.Same with basics such as toilet paper,their own brand has gone,the next cheapest is also three times the cost.Many other items have simply disappeared with no alternative.Tesco say they are doing this to compete with ALDI,Lidl etc-I think they've shot themselves in the foot.I can't get out to shop in these discount stores unfortunately but Sainsbury's and even Waitrose now work out cheaper for home delivery.!

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd read about Tesco cutting back on lines but to cut out the cheaper items to compete with Aldi/Lidl sounds like madness!

Is there a list of what they're cutting out?
  • gardenmaker
    gardenmaker Posts: 17 Forumite
    Have you tried searching the Tesco website using the new “value” brand names they are using.

E.g a search for Stockwell water gave me this (17p/2litres Stillwater). I don’t know what the value price before was, so sorry if this is the one you found was three times more!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301456121
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 May 2019 at 5:03PM
    Have you tried searching the Tesco website using the new “value” brand names they are using.

E.g a search for Stockwell water gave me this (17p/2litres Stillwater). I don’t know what the value price before was, so sorry if this is the one you found was three times more!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301456121

Presumably this is one of the lines being withdrawn - states
    "This product is no longer available online."

Cheapest 2 litre bottle appears to be 45p
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258366200

Though you can buy cheaper in bulk
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258016788
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe they have just taken them off the online site but are available in the store
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wild666 wrote: »
    Maybe they have just taken them off the online site but are available in the store

Indeed - 17p for 2l of water allows zero margin for delivery costs - I can imagine there'll have been a cull of low-margin items that are frequently purchased together and form unprofitable deliveries
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    wild666 wrote: »

Bought 2 X 2L earlier today. There was a full pallet loaded with the bottles.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cheap still water is apparently just tap water.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    The Stockwell water is still available for me to order online with no message about being discontinued. It often depends where you are - they must cater to what sells locally (would be mad not to!).
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Both my local Tescos have lost their deli counter service.

I never bought anything from the deli counter but it was a good source of reductions towards the end of the day.

Morrisons now seems cheaper for everything like that.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure