Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 23rd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 589Posts
    • 1,554Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary
    • 23rd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary 23rd Oct 17 at 8:38 PM
    My diary to debt free and saving for a deposit by 35 .*updated feb 2018 - aim to be homeowners by if not hopefully before 30*

we aim to save 25k before even going to the bank for a dip

current age 25 . current financal status . trying but not trying hard enough . in debt with hardly a pot to wee in ... it has to change ... from today

we have consolidated our debts as of November so will just do an update regarding extra payments and a remaining balance every few months.

for the most part this will be my diary on saving for a deposit the highs lows and raising 3 children all currently 8yo or younger while doing it .
    Last edited by mumof3.12kindebt; 25-02-2018 at 9:13 PM.
Page 23
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 2nd May 19, 3:28 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Hi everyone.
    No savings update. It's still the same.

On the house front we don't have a date yet. And it may not go through. We have secured our mortgage but the seller might not accept 5% deposit. As much as I want this house. If they don't accept with our 5% deposit and 95% mortgage we won't be continuing with the purchase as we just don't have the money right now to put down 10%

We have added up our costs and we won't be left with much a couple of hundred pound if we are lucky. But it's better than being in the red. In the meantime between now and moving we are continuing to save as much as possible. At the moment it doesn't look like we will be completing in may. Which isn't a bad thing it gives us more time to get savings in the bank.

Fingers crossed it will still all go through
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 8th May 19, 3:48 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Hello everyone ,

So my new job is more hours (not sure if I have mentioned that before) . It means I won't need to rely on overtime or agency work regularly. It also means after commuting we should be better off.

I'm not sure if I have previously mentioned but we are currently in a 2 bedroom housing association flat paying 410 a month in rent.
    The new house is 468 while on our fixed deal. And then 550. This means for 58 - 140 extra a month we have gained an extra downstairs room , an extra toilet and 3 extra bedroom. 3 of the 5 bedrooms are double bedrooms. Our garden area is smaller but the kids have enough room to play out there and we won't have a drive (we don't currently have one anyway).

The plan stays the same. Rebuild our savings then overpay the mortgage, while getting the house how we want it. (and hopefully adding some value to it).

What's even more shocking is it hasn't even been 2 years since we started this diary.

I will do a post of a breakdown of our costs once we have moved. I'll make a post shortly with a "timeline" of paying off our debts and saving up to move.

We still don't know about weather we will be moving in may or not.
    We still haven't had confirmation about acceptance of the 5% deposit but we have secured the 95% mortgage. Fingers crossed it will all be going ahead still and by the end of this school year we would of moved and settled in our new home.

We are still trying to keep our monthly expenses to a minimum to allow us to save as much as possible untill we move.
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 16th May 19, 1:21 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Hope you are all well.

Just had an email off the solicitors they are waiting on one enquiry from the seller regarding a disability grant that was used for the downstairs toilet and then they will be in touch regarding a date for exchange and completion.
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 17th May 19, 8:57 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Hi everyone ,
    Last day at my current job today. Start my training next week at my new job. Solicitors have also been in touch they are ready for us to exchange contracts so we need to let them know when we want to do it. We are continuing with spending as little as possible to get as much money in the bank as we can (although we have enough for the move)

Will keep you all updated. Have a great weekend
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • LeighofMar
    • By LeighofMar 17th May 19, 11:17 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    LeighofMar
    How exciting for you. I hope the rest is smooth sailing and you will soon be unpacking in your new home.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 18th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thankyou. Hopefully won't be too much longer.

Morning all,
    Kids are watching a film with me.

As the amount stands in our bank at the moment 11,300 we will just about have enough to cover costs/deposit and a removal company. I think the seller needs a few weeks to find somewhere else to live so it's likely we will get the keys next month. We then have to give a month's notice here so it's looking likely we will move in June/July.
    I still have to tell my dad and the rest of the family and we haven't told the eldest yet either

I'm starting to get excited now but there's still a little bit inside me saying don't get too excited incase something goes wrong.
    Once moved I'm going to keep track of our spends more closely the house is much bigger so I'm expecting higher running costs and we will be. Spending more on petrol for me to get to and from work. Although when we can afford it I'm going to switch to an all electric or hybrid car to help with this. We have already said we will be doing more with the children taking them places etc obviously it wont always cost. But they have been brilliant during our journey of becoming debt free and saving for this move and we haven't really done much with them in regards to trips and days out so it will be nice to do more stuff in general. We are currently in a village and partner doesn't drive so they have been restricted as to what they can do while I'm at work unless partner took them on the bus.
    Our new home is in a small town and the town centre is ten minutes walk. So everything we need on a daily / weekly basis is within walking distance. The only time we will be using the car is for me to get to work to come back to visit family and on trips / days out further afield. We also have ten beaches within an hour and a half (currently only have 2 within that distance) some of the beaches we can get to on a bus at the new house.
    Once we are moved and settled I'm going to start posting everyday with at least 3 things I am greatful for. I will also challenge myself to something each month it could be related to finances or personal things. I'm going to really try to stick to this.

Have a great day everyone
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 18th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    My 3 g's of the day (grateful/gratitude)
    1. Seeing both my grandmothers
    2. Having the day off - spending it with my kids
    3. Having the money to pay for my food shop

We have watched a film, baked some shortbread , visited my nana , my grandma visited. I spoke to my dad on the phone and my brother via text. We did a food shop. Today has been a nice relaxing day. I also did a load of laundry and I've washed up more time than I can count .. hope you have all had a great day
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 19th May 19, 2:04 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Today I am greatful for
    1. Being able to save enough money to buy our first home.
    2. Seeing my brother and dad
    3. Not being in debt
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 19th May 19, 2:24 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Debt / savings journey

June 2017
    16k of debt
    0 savings

November 2017
    13k of debt
    0 savings

Sept 2018
    Loan paid off

Oct 2018
    2400 debt
    2000 savings

November 2018
    Debt free !!
    5000 savings (sold my little car for around 4000)

19th Dec 2018
    5k savings
    150 help to save +75 bonus
    500 LISA Skipton
    200 nationwide moving costs account
    246 bricklane

10th April 2019
    10,570.00 in savings

26 april 2019
    11,300.00 in savings

It's been 1 year 6 months and 26 days since I started this diary.

13,000.00 of debt gone !
    11,300.00 saved !

I think that deserves a clap
    *Does a happy dance*

I can't tell you how proud of us I am.
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 19th May 19, 3:01 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Typo it's been 1 year 6 months since we started our debt free. Journey properly starting with 13,000 of debt
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 19th May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    julicorn
    Congratulations, that is absolutely amazing! And how exciting to hear you are almost there with the house purchase
    Original mortgage: December 2017, 203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, 201,800
    Current: 170,300
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 20th May 19, 10:20 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    julicorn thank you ! We are just in the process of trying to sort a date .

Morning everyone,
    Hope you are all well.
    Yesterday was a NSD.
    I went to see my dad and brother yesterday and eldest went on a bike ride with my dad.

The two boys have gone off to school. I sat and had breakfast with DD .
    We are going to the library soon to get some more books.

My 3 g's for yesterday
    1. I'm greatful for my car. (Makes it easier to see people, especially as some days I struggle to stand and walk)
    2.im greatful my son took the news of moving so well.
    3. I'm greatful for music (it makes me feel good)

Today's g's
    1. I'm greatful for our library. (We are going there today to get some more books to read)
    2. I'm greatful I live in a country where my children can get an education without me having to spend thousands of pounds.
    3. I'm greatful for my hair straighteners. (I woke up this morning with completely wild hair after going to bed with it still damp).

Have a great day everyone. We have visited the library and got some more books and I sat and read some to DD while oh was picking out some for himself . doing housework now and possibly going to the park with the kids later if it stays dry.

DD is down for a nap . Wm is on. Going to peg it out to dry.

I need to sort my stuff to take tomorrow to my first training day for my new job.
    Once moved I am going to be sticking up routines for us all to follow and they will all sync with each other so everything fits in nicely. At the moment we just have a routine stuck up for the kids and us adults have our own routine that works along side it but we don't use our time as effectively as we could. Our new home is walking distance to everything we should need on a daily / weekly basis. Only thing we will need to use the car for is for me to get to work and to come back to visit family. We have started telling family they are all pleased for us. Still have a feeling I'm going to be a blubbering wreck when we get the keys

Off to pick up ds2 soon from school. (He only goes to school 3 hours a day at the moment) .

Catch up later. Have a great day everyone !
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 21st May 19, 6:09 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Morning beautiful world.,

I'm all ready to leave for my first training day at my new job. Ds2 Is also up had breakfast and washed and dressed ready for school.

I'm looking forward to my training day. But also anxious. The weather is beautiful this morning with a clear blue sky. I sat outside with my cuppa when I first got up listening to the birds

I've moved the child benefit into our account for next month's bills. We should have enough on that account by the end of the week. The rest will go to savings
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 21st May 19, 7:54 AM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 12,664 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Hoping all goes well on your 1st day at your new job. Will catch up with your diary for now, looks like exciting things happening.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Mortgage Free 21.12.18
    Just 11 Years 3 months early
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 21st May 19, 4:29 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thank you A frayed knot .

Today went okay. I will get a weeks worth of pay at the end of June and my first full month in July from what I gather. I will also get a lower pay from my old job in June. So will be down a little in June but we should be fine if we stay frugal.

Much to my annoyance. I have continued to gain weight so most of my clothes don't fit. And my new job doesn't have a uniform just comfortable and casual. But I will just make the best of what I have for now. Due to my cp I don't have a lot of energy left after working full time and looking after the 3 kids. But I understand my health must become a priority.

If I have done my calculations correctly we should be able to add 1000 to the savings on Friday. Due to the lower pay next month I'm not sure how much we will be able to add to savings in June. But as long as we don't accumulate debt I'm not worried .

Have a good night everyone x
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 21st May 19, 6:01 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Just want to note this down for future reference.

My new job from the new house is 45 miles each way. I need to look at getting a more economical car. For two reasons. 1. I'm going to almost double the millage amount compared to my allowance on my lease car we have now. 2. It's going to cost me a fortune in fuel.
    We are considering an electric car (not hybrid as from research this wouldn't save me much If any money).
    My issue is. 1. Electric cars are expensive
    2. We don't have a drive so I would have to charge it in car parks etc.

My other option is look for another job closer to the new house. Not ideal but tbh it might be the better option.

It's all things I need to think about
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 22nd May 19, 9:54 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 4,356 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Best of luck with the new job and the new house! You've made astonishing progress in the last few years .
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 23rd May 19, 5:26 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thank you GlendaSugarbean. Sometimes I don't believe it myself what we have managed to achieve .

10th of June is the set date for completion

Fingers crossed .

I'm on training again tomorrow and next week and the week after I start on my rota. I need to tell them that I need the tenth off and then we will move between my shifts.

Money will be tight over the coming weeks but it won't last forever. And it will all be worth it

Hope everyone has had a good few days x
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 24th May 19, 5:41 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    debtaghh
    You are doing so well, well done!
    Credit card debt ( May 2019) : 56,918... won't even start on the family debt
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 24th May 19, 6:45 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    12500 in savings.
    That will probably be all we will manage to save before the 10th.
    Last training day now until Tuesday so a weekend off.
    At some point over the weekend I plan to have a few hours to just chill out . Will probably watch a film with the kids

We are going for coffee later with partners mum. And will do a trip to the library over the weekend as partner and eldest have finished the books they were reading

It's half term next week. I am on training Tuesday to Friday but we will try and fit some activities in at some point

Will post later of any spends we had today
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,233Posts Today

7,760Users online

Martin's Twitter