Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 4th May 19, 5:29 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Zandimos
    Painting and decorating
    • 4th May 19, 5:29 PM
    Painting and decorating 4th May 19 at 5:29 PM
    Hi all,

Me and my partner are hopefully moving into our first home together and will need to decorate for the first time in our lives.

I have a quick question for you people with more experience than us, do you have recommendations for best rollers and paint brushes? Equally, do you have any decorating tips and tricks that we may find useful?

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • eamon
    • By eamon 19th May 19, 1:49 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    eamon
    Don't buy cheap emulsion, not worth the price, unless you are painting just plastered walls/ceiling and if thats the case consider it as an undercoat.

As with the other posters prep is key and empty the rooms of everything. By all means get your new carpets etc measured and ordered now but delay fitting until you are ready for them.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 19th May 19, 2:12 PM
    • 36,305 Posts
    • 22,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    With a whole house ahead of you keep an eye out for stuff cheap.

We picked up a load of Craig and Rose 1829 chalky emulsion cheap.
    A dream to apply and a great finish.
    • king132
    • By king132 20th May 19, 1:42 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    king132
    If painting a whole house i'd consider investing in a paint spraying machine - you can paint whole walls and ceilings in minutes and in my opinion better finish than using rollers.

have a look on ebay for Wagner or Ozito machines. I purchased an Ozito machine off ebay for 150 and you can put the pipe directly into a can of paint a draw directly from it rather than wasting time filling up handheld containers.

It does guzzle paint and takes a bit of getting use to, but its perfect for large projects.
    • Aleem
    • By Aleem 20th May 19, 11:00 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Aleem
    If painting a whole house i'd consider investing in a paint spraying machine - you can paint whole walls and ceilings in minutes and in my opinion better finish than using rollers.

have a look on ebay for Wagner or Ozito machines. I purchased an Ozito machine off ebay for 150 and you can put the pipe directly into a can of paint a draw directly from it rather than wasting time filling up handheld containers.

It does guzzle paint and takes a bit of getting use to, but its perfect for large projects.
    Originally posted by king132
    How much mess do the sprayers create? More than using a roller?
    Charles J
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,822Users online

Martin's Twitter