Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• tlcgrantham
    tlcgrantham Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Because of the unique way Powershop operates it's not easy to compare prices but using their Bill Information on my online account and the Which Comparison site I discovered the following.
    From 2/10/2018 - 2/5/2019 I used 13,039 Kw costing £322.61
    With Utility Point this would have cost. £388.99
    and Zog. £413.89
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Looking back on my time with powershop the 1st year was outstanding. Kind of like an introductory capped deal where the cap is your first year promise. It really was a great 12 months where I bagged a lot of high discount packs. So many that the credit I built up enabled me to stay with powershop for 22 months

But after the initial introductory tariff I was baselined. My discounts dried up and my standard tariff went up in price. In effect a double whammy. Whilst my discounts decreased newer customers reported huge discounts being achieved. Why?? because they were in that initial 12 months.

I started using my credit quicker than I could replenish it so I jumped ship to a cheaper supplier ahead of my tariff review in September whilst prices were low with other providers
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Looking back on my time with powershop the 1st year was outstanding. Kind of like an introductory capped deal where the cap is your first year promise. It really was a great 12 months where I bagged a lot of high discount packs. So many that the credit I built up enabled me to stay with powershop for 22 months

But after the initial introductory tariff I was baselined. My discounts dried up and my standard tariff went up in price. In effect a double whammy. Whilst my discounts decreased newer customers reported huge discounts being achieved. Why?? because they were in that initial 12 months.

I started using my credit quicker than I could replenish it so I jumped ship to a cheaper supplier ahead of my tariff review in September whilst prices were low with other providers

I absolutely agree with everything above. Now, the big question is if/when we ever return, will we also get big first year customer discounts and, if we do, they will presumably be discounts off a much higher Baseline Tariff?

The judgement call will then be 'will I get sufficient first year customer discount to bring these high baseline tariffs down to a competitive rate?' It's a big risk I guess.
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Yes it is fewkeste and unless people post the discounts achievable its very difficult to judge what can be achieved

When I jumped to powershop it was because top shopper was easily the best rate achievable. In hindsight I even beat the top shopper rate in that first year

However now top shopper rates are some 60 to 70 pounds dearer than the best achievable rates with other suppliers which are of course guarantee

I'd say its unlikely I'll return unless top shopper rates come back to market leading prices
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    I certainly will. I've never paid so little for my energy and had so much fun doing it. Hopefully you both will return with your sage advice and as dual fuel customers as Powershop seems to offer bigger discounts to new duel fuel customers rather than electricity only.
  • Tafrock
    Options
    A year ago I was the same as you tlc. But once I was down to using 19.4% simple saver discount powerpacks the costs were rising. Basically I paid for nearly two years electricity up front with powershop. I virtually bought no powerpacks in my last twelve months (well I did but they were so low discount I ended up getting them refunded when I left)

Here's what I paid for powerpacks in my last 12 months

June _ 12.90 July 13.48 August and September zero October 27.45 November 38.10 December 21.73 January 22.92 February 20.62 March 14.09 April 14.64 may 4.84

Bear in mind my actual bills were between 28 and 31 pounds. You can see I was mostly using my credit that i bought upfront over a year ago when discounts were high. Only in November did I buy more powerpacks than I used.

My rules for buying powerpacks were anything less than 18% I disregard. I needed an overall discount level of 28% to make powershop viable. Come September and tariff review time that would have gone up too

Like yourself I enjoyed the experience. Was getting electricity at record low levels but it doesnt last. Powershops duel fuel offer was never low enough for me. Their customer service guys admitted to me they couldn't match zogs level of pricing when I took out my 24 month fix
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Just checked. Got a quote for duel fuel with powershop. Still nowhere near competitive enough for me

Powershop top shopper duel is 921.10.

My current symbio and zog contract 851

But powershop baseline quote is horrendous at £1245

Which means a saving necessary to get to my current costs of 31.5% across 12 months

That's not possible
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    According to my powershop app I've bought my energy up to the middle of October and paid £895.11 saving £414.28 which if true means I've got 31.6% discount.
  • Tafrock
    Options
    How long have you been a customer. Less than a year I guess
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    You do seem to have got two good deals Tafrock. Two birds in the hand might be better than one in the bush. I think they might be beaten though by buying the right power packs especially the big winter future packs which take discounts beyond Top Shopper promises.

Anyway it'll be fun trying and I do love a challenge and I'm still learning as I only became a customer with Powershop October 2018.

Meanwhile I'll post my power pack discounts as they are bigger for dual fuel users so you can see if it's worth returning.

From what I've heard about other companies hanging on to customers' credit for quite a long time, this is quite refreshing news.

Well done Powershop :D[/QUOTE]
    According to my powershop app I've bought my energy up to the middle of October and paid £895.11 saving £414.28 which if true means I've got 31.6% discount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback