Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ashe
    • By ashe 19th May 19, 9:47 AM
    • 613Posts
    • 439Thanks
    ashe
    Carpet - maximum width & fitting advice?
    • 19th May 19, 9:47 AM
    Carpet - maximum width & fitting advice? 19th May 19 at 9:47 AM
    Hi,

Mrs has decided she wants carpet in the living room now. It's currently carpeted but previously she fancied laminate.

Looked around a few shops and prices vary wildly and assume they do the dance between low fitting costs and low up front costs with free fitting, so just need to find one we like and do the sums - is it generally advised to get it fitted by a private local firm or to just go with whatever firm the shop uses? I am assuming the former, but dont know if this impacts on things like guarantees from the stores?

Also we have a query around the width - our room is 5.68m wide by 5.19m wide but in an L shape - the shops I went into yesterday told me that the widest that carpets are made is 5m so there will be a join somewhere. Try as I might I cant find where this is currently - he did say they apparently join it together with heat or something - is the join usually not noticeable? my POV is that if we cant see it now and it must be there, then we shouldn't see it on the new one, but she is concerned there will be a noticeable gap.

Based on the measurements of the room he told us we will need 28 square meters of carpet and 24 square meters of underlay (there isn't currently any underlay down under the existing carpet) and that the join would be best off by the front window where its shortest. Is this correct? Seems fairly logical, but wanted to check

Image below (ignore that it shows a wood floor as she has obviously changed her mind since then!)

If that doesn't work: https://imgur.com/a/djFqEH9
Page 1
    • happy35
    • By happy35 19th May 19, 10:06 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 2,900 Thanks
    happy35
    • 19th May 19, 10:06 AM
    • 19th May 19, 10:06 AM
    Yes 5m is normally the widest in a domestic carpet shop, I would consider looking at contract carpet as I assume that could be wider.

I went down the Amtico route in my last house as IMO you can always see a join, another route I was going to pursue was Bronte carpets as they do make wide carpets but I assume they would be expensive.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 19th May 19, 11:04 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    ashe
    • 19th May 19, 11:04 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:04 AM
    Looked at the amitico site and they donít seen to do carpets

Bronte are 50-60 per square meter apparently so that rules that out.

The carpet that is down now is definitely nothing premium - are there any other options?
    • Section106
    • By Section106 19th May 19, 11:54 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Section106
    • 19th May 19, 11:54 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:54 AM
    The carpet that is down now is definitely nothing premium - are there any other options?
    Originally posted by ashe
    Have you considered doing the corridor area between the two doors (the right hand side of the 'L' on your image) as laminate and the rest of the room as carpet? It might be a good compromise between having the lounge area more cosy, and keeping the area which gets walked on the most (and therefore gets dirty and wears more) easier to clean.

It would also get round the max 5m width issue.

Of course it is all down to personal taste and details like how the carpet of choice would look next to laminate, and also whether it would affect the appearance of the room e.g. making it look smaller.

A good carpet fitter should be able to make a join more or less invisible, but it helps if the join is not in an area which gets walked over a lot, and if the two pieces are laid in the same orientation. Unfortunately, for reasons of economy and speed of fitting, attention to those sort of details sometimes gets ignored.
    • CityLite
    • By CityLite 19th May 19, 12:03 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    CityLite
    • 19th May 19, 12:03 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:03 PM
    If someone has told you they could carpet this room for 28 square meters of carpet, you should ask them to explain in detail how they plan to do that.

The cheapest way to carpet this room I suspect would be with 3m wide carpet running top to bottom of the image, with a join covered to a large extent by the settee shown

I'm assuming the 5.98m dimension shown on the RHS is an error that should read 5.68m as on the LHS.

Even so, that will cost you over 34 square meters of carpet.

You could have a shorter join running in line with the upper doorway using 4m wide carpet running left to right of the image, but that would cost you in excess of 40 square meters of carpet

Joins are always visible, but as you seem to have found, become barely noticeable after time if done correctly. There should certainly be no gap!

We have always used the fitter as provided by the retailer; saves any complications if you have any issues once the carpet is laid - particularly important where the carpet laying involves additional complications such as joining.

(actually, the cheapest way, but not by much, to carpet this would probably be 3m wide carpet running left to right, but I discounted that option as it would leave a join almost as long as running top to bottom, most of which will be visible, and also in high traffic areas)
    Last edited by CityLite; 19-05-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    • CityLite
    • By CityLite 19th May 19, 12:51 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    CityLite
    • 19th May 19, 12:51 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:51 PM
    Another option to consider if your Mrs really doesn't want an obvious carpet join across the room, would be possibly to have a border all around the room, with a contrasting carpet design.

Or you could go retro and not have a wall to wall carpet at all

Any skilled and experienced carpet retailer should be able to discuss these options, and possibly more. Keep away from the big chains, and rely on the expertise of local, experienced craftsmen.
    Last edited by CityLite; 19-05-2019 at 1:17 PM.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 19th May 19, 1:00 PM
    • 7,961 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    cattie
    • 19th May 19, 1:00 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:00 PM
    In my previous home I had a room where a join was necessary with the carpet & one fitted there was absolutely no way you could tell that the carpet had been joined. This was a plain 80/20 wool twist carpet too, which you might expect any join to be noticeable but if you've a good experienced carpet fitter & a good quality carpet, it's not possible to see where any join has been made.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 19th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    ashe
    • 19th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:07 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys

In summary there is no chance she will want contrasting carpet borders or mixed carpet and laminate so think will ask at some stores if they can show us examples of their joins for her reassurance.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 19th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    ashe
    • 19th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:10 PM
    If someone has told you they could carpet this room for 28 square meters of carpet, you should ask them to explain in detail how they plan to do that.

The cheapest way to carpet this room I suspect would be with 3m wide carpet running top to bottom of the image, with a join covered to a large extent by the settee shown

I'm assuming the 5.98m dimension shown on the RHS is an error that should read 5.68m as on the LHS.

Even so, that will cost you over 34 square meters of carpet.

You could have a shorter join running in line with the upper doorway using 4m wide carpet running left to right of the image, but that would cost you in excess of 40 square meters of carpet

Joins are always visible, but as you seem to have found, become barely noticeable after time if done correctly. There should certainly be no gap!

We have always used the fitter as provided by the retailer; saves any complications if you have any issues once the carpet is laid - particularly important where the carpet laying involves additional complications such as joining.

(actually, the cheapest way, but not by much, to carpet this would probably be 3m wide carpet running left to right, but I discounted that option as it would leave a join almost as long as running top to bottom, most of which will be visible, and also in high traffic areas)
    Originally posted by CityLite
    Yes no idea how itís done that as it was a web all that auto resizes with the room, bizarre, 5.68 not 5.98.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 4,305 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    A good quality natural wood (we have engineered oak) and a large rug. It's a whole new world away from laminate, and no pesky carpet joins !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,627Posts Today

9,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin