Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Apr 10, 10:02 PM
    • 6,860Posts
    • 47,492Thanks
    newgirly
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun!
    • 15th Apr 10, 10:02 PM
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun! 15th Apr 10 at 10:02 PM
    I have been reading other peoples posts for a while,trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to start overpaying on the mortage.DH and I have a house worth about £220,000 with a mortgage of £159,000 although we only paid £120,000 for it (£93,000 mortgage) to start. So as you can see we have been not so great in the past! Last year we also owed about £20,000 on credit cards which is now down to £10,000. I really want to get rid of the mortgage before our youngest turn 18, the twins are nearly 10 now. So any words of encouragement would be great, I need keeping on the straight and narrow.

Xmas paid for by saving £1 a day minimum in a sealed tin, plus homemade/sale stuff.
    Birthdays now in monthly budget, plus extra vouchers earned

I am taking part in the earn £2012 in 2012 challenge on the up your income board, so whatever earned from that will be split between op's and holidays fingers crossed.

Budget from may 2012 onwards:

income.................2092.00
    child benefit..........188.60
    child tax cr..............0 no longer!
    total....................£2280.60

mobiles x 2...........32.00
    tv licence..............12.37
    elec/gas................140.00
    water....................60.00
    council tax............125.83
    home insurance.......11.83
    pension..................21.90
    life ins....................15.17
    sky ........................21.00
    car tax....................15.83
    car ins.....................22.00
    car maintenance.........8.33
    petrol.......................60.00

school dinners............48.00 (1 dinner/1 bacon sarnie each pw)
    pocket money.............20.00
    clothes.......................30.00
    birthdays....................50.00

grocery.......................250.00
    (food/pets/cleaning)
    DH's money.................100.00
    0%cc ................................32.35
    mortgage interest.........425.00
    mortage overpayment....778.39

money in: £2280.60
    money out:£2280.60

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by newgirly; 16-03-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Page 393
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 13th May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    We have had a howdens kitchen in for about 8 years and it's still perfect. Hope you get one to suit :

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th May 19, 9:19 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Sorry for the delay in replying Daisy and thanks, itís good to know you are happy with your kitchen

Itís been a bit chaotic here this week, ds2 is now living in the conservatory and dd is staying at my parents. The electrics are half done so hopefully it will take another week and a half or so before the bedrooms are all completed and they can move back in.

The boys are away tonight visiting a uni friend in Sheffield, so we have spoilt ourselves with food today toast in the garden centre for breakfast, a sandwich in the pub for lunch and an Indian takeaway for dinner tonight. Not at all mse I know but I felt like a splurge!

Other news this week is we are viewing a house on Tuesday, not that our house is in any way in a good position to sell right now, but the one we are viewing is a lot bigger than houses usually for sale in our price bracket, so I feel worth a look. Itís a bit ugly really and quite dated, but has three receptions , a downstairs loo and utility and even a study. It would mean borrowing approx an extra £125k, so not a decision to be taken lightly.

Its still very close to where we are now, but in a quiet no through road with fields behind, very tempting at the moment as itís been very noisy here lately.

Iím very overdue catching up on diaries and sorting the finances out, hopefully tomorrow Iíll catch up
    MFW 21

£74,498.77left target £10k/ £6,537.10in 2019
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 19th May 19, 9:50 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 7,055 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    oo, good luck with that. I've only visited your area a few times (niece lives there) but the woodland where she is is lovely
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    Re mortgage August 19 £110470, HSBC £3850cc, Hfx £6800, NW £5840 M&S £1250, car £5500.
    CC 17740 , it's coming down
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th May 19, 8:05 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Thanks mfdís, Iím a bit nervous incase I love it , itís all a bit overwhelming, Iím also slightly worried that my irritation with neighbours might influence me too much. Next door have moved back in except mum is in the house and her ds (18) is living in the outbuilding. He is not especially noisy but smokes pot in the garden and often has hoody wearing friends over talking until late - not noisy enough to complain about, but enough to disturb me and my early nights now Iím getting on a bit

Anyway, back to business! £5.04 topcashback opíd today along with £7.22 Tilly tidy, now the total is £167.44 of the £150 target
    MFW 21

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 22nd May 19, 5:56 AM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Weíll we viewed the house last night and I donít know what to do!

Lovely family there who have not even started looking and said they are in no rush (our house resembles a building site so not ideal!) but could move out still if not found and stay with family.

So here are the pros and cons-

Pros-

Three receptions, including 21 ft dining room for my massive table
    Downstairs loo , seperate utility -we currently have one very long 35ft ish reception and a 10x10 kitchen, no room for downstairs loo really, no utility

Slightly bigger garden , side access

4 beds , bathroom and en-suite plus study area

We wonít find anything this big near this budget as most houses around here are traditional looking and dearer.

parking for three cars (not two) plus drive wonít be constantly blocked

Very quiet road

Bus to station , walk to the boys pub still if a bit further

Price OIEO £500K

Semi not terraced

Garden that would be better for family gatherings and maybe one day grandchildren

Garden more private , current one is now ok (all paved) but we seem to have lots of neighbours close by and it can be noisy

Cons-

An extra £125k approx on the mortgage , we do have rent coming in after the factory mortgage is paid off in 4&1/2 years (25k before tax)

Everthing is liveable but I can see money needing spending everywhere , bathrooms, windows , floors, kitchen etc.

£125k could be spent on holidays and cruises now the kids are adults

Layout -big but a bit odd

Style - current house fifties semi with bay window at front , new house more sixties looking , weird tiled bit on front between main windows.

Its not home, we have lived here since the twins were ten months old and I am very sentimental

Hassle -prepping and selling ours , moving many years of stuff in sheds and garage

Our bedroom is much nicer in our current house , bigger and we have a bathroom with bath and shower, itís my fav room
    MFW 21

• lindez
    • By lindez 23rd May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    lindez
    Hi I have been lurking in the background for a couple of weeks just getting to the end of your diary. You have done brilliantly newgirly thank you for sharing your diary it is inspirational.
    MFWB#44
    MFTT5 #28
    save 12k in 2019 #71
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 24th May 19, 8:42 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi Lindez, blimey you have not read all that surely if so you deserve a medal for perseverance! Thanks for your very kind comment though, will you be writing a diary?

Itís been a busy week, Iíve upset the builders by stopping them taking a short cut and delayed the bedrooms by a week by asking they plaster the whole of each room rather than just redecorate, there are no plasterers available in the company currently Iíve chosen the kitchen, which was traumatic as I like to pontificate and change my mind very often with big decisions and usually they can take months But today I sat down and picked it all within a couple of hours from a book no weeks on end looking at showrooms and on p*nterest.

Itís gloss white handleless with white shiny worktops, white wall stuff instead of tiles. I wanted a seventies vibe but itís hard to do that without it a). Looking a bit bonkers or b). it looking like we need to update out old kitchen

So Iíll have some old funky 70ís crockery etc. But in a modern plain kitchen.

Financially I've no idea what all this will cost, ive picked the kitchen I want rather than whatís cheapest ( I do mean ďIĒ picked it - dh hasnt even looked!) and feel like while they are here we will get as much done as possible. I think Iíll put all ops into the offset instead of paying off the balance at the moment as Iím sure we may need more. Still adding them to my op totals for the year though

Weigh in day yesterday and I put on a pound, clearly WW scales are faulty as I was really good all week, itís upset me so much dh ive had five biscuits today

This weekend is one of odd jobs and catching up , ds2 is going to a couple of London day festivals this weekend, he has invited friends over for drinks before they go at 9 am tomorrow , we are just so classy here luckily they should be gone by 11am. After that Iím off to collect my new sparkly wedge sandals ordered from a shop, identical to the ones I had and loved last year which went ďmissingĒ after Dd emptied out her shoe cupboard and sold it all at cash for clothes, apparently these two things are a coincidence though.........
    MFW 21

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 26th May 19, 3:39 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 7,055 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    After we tidied up our house 18months ago I still wanted to move.. Sometimes its a now or never thing... but do you want to keep paying mortgages for 10 years or so? doing up a place is a nuisance when living in it. our 1920's/1970s bathroom will cause us ructions when we eventually get to it. Where will we shower? where will we P?

Pre festival sounds fun.. I need to remember I'm nearly 50
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    Re mortgage August 19 £110470, HSBC £3850cc, Hfx £6800, NW £5840 M&S £1250, car £5500.
    CC 17740 , it's coming down
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 26th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Bathroom work is not fun, Iíve been there and moved in with parents when the kids were little and we only had one toilet

Not sure I do want to pay a mortgage for a lot longer really, Iím just getting fed up of the noise, nothing out of the of ordinary just neighbours sitting outside chatting - but Quite loudly and every night....

Ds1 had the worlds worst hangover after the festival yesterday and unfortunately he has to go back again today for day two! Ironically our town had its own music festival this weekend (in the news for being badly run actually today!) my two look down their noses at it not being a proper festival - itís all dance music and girls with fake tan on apparently

Still half the roads are shut and there are thousands of them wandering around town with no portaloos! last few years best friend who lives in the main road into town has seen some traumatic sights toilet wise

Anyway, Iíve spent the day ironing and packing for the cruise which is in 13 days time. This will no doubt attract a little criticism, for some reason the ďlate packersĒ donít approve of us ďearly packersĒ in my family. Itís seen a small some sort of weakness to not be able to pack the night before you go.
    I can pack light for short trips on planes and I always do, however a week long cruise somewhere that could be hot/cold/wet requiring dressy clothes every night plus a couple of black tie outfits requires a lot more effort. I can take as much luggage as i want as we go from Southampton , so I am taking a lovely big case Iím putting in lots of flip flops In different colours I donít even need, just so dh can count them all as ďshoesĒ and proclaim to everyone that will listen how many Iíve brought (11 this time so far )

Tomorrowís plans are :

Pack for dh - check how much he doesnít already have

Do finances

Pick all kitchen built in appliances and email to designer , there are no prices in the howdens book so I suppose I just guess

Book travel ins

Book cruise parking

Tidy and clean again - usually keep this to a minimum but am doing all constantly at the moment and itís still a mess.
    MFW 21

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 27th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 14,163 Thanks
    themadvix
    If it's the neighbour's son, surely he'll move out at some point and the noise will reduce? Better that perhaps than paying the mortgage for a lot longer? I guess you just have to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. What does DH think?
    • LadyGnome
    • By LadyGnome 27th May 19, 5:50 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    LadyGnome
    How long will you have a full house too? At some point the children will move out (hopefully )and then you can have a think about what you need from a house.
    Mortgage
    Start Nov 2012 £310,000
    June 2019 £215,842.73
    Reduction £94,157.27

End Oct Sept 2034 but I have a cunning plan...
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 27th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi ladygnome and vix, thanks for popping by

Iím trying to be balanced about all this, Iím just feeling the pressure as (donít laugh!) I feel we do move again I want it to be while Dd is still at home so it feels like her home still

Hopefully the kid next door will move on but he is still only 18 and we live in a London borough so it could be a very long time. Best friend has helped a bit as she has been telling me of her neighbours who are a bit bonkers and sheís lives in a huge house in the posh end of town

Iím currently thinking of the extra mortgage vs holidays and travel that could be done instead, we have not travelled much at all as we weíre married at 21/24 and had kids straight away so finances and logistics stopped all that.

Packing almost totally done now, not much else on the list crossed off so Iím about to do it now in bed
    MFW 21

• debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 28th May 19, 7:19 AM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 10,594 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    I totally get the whole kids seeing houses as homes. Realistically what we want / need now won't be the same as in 10 years, but I'm kinda bit of life is for living so move now and they will have memories there. That said we are looking to sustain / reduce the mortgage and hopefully find something that needs minimal work! If that even exists!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £77,993.33
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 28th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    We have a friend whose father bought a vast house at retirement. 6huge bedrooms and a massive garden. His reasoning behind this was that he wanted to be able to host everyone for Christmas and other events. There are 4 children plus spouses, then 10 grandchildren I think. 2 children & some grandchildren live close enough to commute to events, but the rest don't, so he wanted the space for everyone to be together.
    Would that be worth factoring that into your thoughts?

Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £27,000
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #28: £800.something/ £2860
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 28th May 19, 2:26 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 14,163 Thanks
    themadvix
    Just my thoughts on the 'DD home' thing. My parents divorced when I was 21 (and living at home while at uni). I ended up living with my Dad for 6 years before DH and I got married and bought our home. Mum and Dad both bought homes where my sister and I could have a bedroom. I didn't stay at Mum's that often, but I know there's a bed for me there should I ever need it (even now) and I certainly pop in and out (with my own key) without feeling it's 'not my home' (was incredibly upset to leave childhood home behind but in hindsight realise that it's only bricks and mortar - you keep the memories and that's what's important).

Likewise, we're currently clearing my Nan's house. She and my Grandad bought it just as Mum was leaving home to get married and I don't think either of my uncles (who lived there for slightly longer) would consider it to be their childhood home (which is very frequently mentioned with great fondness). I think it not being their childhood home is making the clearing much less upsetting/stressful - I think my sister and I are probably going to be as upset (if not more so) at saying goodbye to the house as it's so closely linked with our memories of Nan.

There is a point in there, although I've not made it very clear! I suspect wherever you are, as long as there's a place for DD, she'll feel like it's home - it's about the people, not the building itself.

Re the neighbour - you'd have to hope he'd move out within 10 years? How much longer would you need to pay mortgage for/how many weeks/weekends away per year could you manage without the mortgage - it's a balance!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 28th May 19, 6:42 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    We have a friend whose father bought a vast house at retirement. 6huge bedrooms and a massive garden. His reasoning behind this was that he wanted to be able to host everyone for Christmas and other events. There are 4 children plus spouses, then 10 grandchildren I think. 2 children & some grandchildren live close enough to commute to events, but the rest don't, so he wanted the space for everyone to be together.
    Would that be worth factoring that into your thoughts?

Wish
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway

Hi wishing, thatís kind of been partly my thinking too, but thatís how my mother in law is also thinking planning on buying a big house at nearly eighty. The reality is though nobody will want to go and stay there! I think a small filled house would always be preferable over a big empty one
    MFW 21

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 28th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi debtfreeoneday, if you can find something without having to spend a lot more then that sounds fantastic, I think for us we are talking years of sacrificing to get anything bigger here, and a fair few years extra to get something the same or smaller thatís not a terrace with a small garden I hope you manage to find something that fits the bill and doesnít cost the earth, itís not easy is it

Hi vix thanks for that, itís great to get other peopleís perspectives on this, but way more so other mfwís opinions as I feel like only they know the sacrifices that have been made to get to this point. ďNormalĒ people seem much happier to just do it now and let the future take care of itself a bit more, my own dad said quite recently my that itís not worth oping as your wages go up so in real terms what you owe goes down. (That would be true of my wages did go up I guess )

Sorry to its so sad sorting through your nans stuff, I felt the same doing it a couple of years ago with mine. I ended up taking a few of her items (bookcase, sixties ceramics etc. ) and have them in my living room, they still look cool but more importantly itís a bit of a comfort interesting that you still feel at home letting yourself into your mumís no way even though it wasnít your childhood home- I guess itís how at home you feel there thatís the important bit.

As for the chav (sorry but you know, itís the best description) next door, he is serenading me right now with his lovely music , he is in the garden , Iím in the loft room and itís a tall house.

Ds2ís plan is to try and educate him into listening to better music, he was blasting out tiny dancer into the garden the other day to drown out chav and chavs chavvy friendsí little afternoon soir!e

Oh and weekends away, approx 125k plus interest and excluding renovations - how many weekends would that cover
    MFW 21

• debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 29th May 19, 5:08 AM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 10,594 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    I like DS's tactic! We had a very inconsiderate set of neighbours once that would roll out their karoke machine onto their decking at weekends and invite everyone (except us, we always declined and said we were out / hid in our bedroom) around for a singsong. Strains of Culture Club - do you really want to hurt me at midnight on a Saturday night were too much - we moved!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £77,993.33
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 29th May 19, 6:02 AM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 47,492 Thanks
    newgirly
    oh dear thatís a bit hardcore! Ours are not very loud to be fair, Iím just listening out for them too much

Attitude adjustment is probably something that would help me, we are a big family who also make noise sometimes too. Iíve set up an amazon dot in the loft room too (bought ages ago on offer but not used) and thatís a big help if itís hot and the windows are open while he is outside.

Anyway I hope you have a much more peaceful home now

£6.24 Tilly tidy op made today, total now £173.68 of the pay extra challenge
    MFW 21

• daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 29th May 19, 8:23 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    oh dear thatís a bit hardcore! Ours are not very loud to be fair, Iím just listening out for them too much

Attitude adjustment is probably something that would help me, we are a big family who also make noise sometimes too. Iíve set up an amazon dot in the loft room too (bought ages ago on offer but not used) and thatís a big help if itís hot and the windows are open while he is outside.

Anyway I hope you have a much more peaceful home now

£6.24 Tilly tidy op made today, total now £173.68 of the pay extra challenge
    Originally posted by newgirly
    I was like that too ng, always listening out and getting annoyed by neighbours through the wall who had family round 2 sundays out 3 for years. Looking back i got myself into a right state about nothing, they were just a normal couple inviting a sister and the kids plus a mum and dad round cos they had a lovely house with a lovely big garden. They certainly weren't doing it to annoy me but oh boy it really used to !!! Luckily we ended up moving but Sunday afternoons were awful waiting on 2 o clock and "it" to start. In reality "it" was just them sitting in the garden talking and laughing and a ball being kicked about, often with the radio or music on but it actually was really that blaring ie it was just a family enjoying spending a sunny afternoon together. How gleeful we privately were if it started to rain. Daft, as it meant we also weren't enjoying our lovely big garden which we certainly could have been.

That continued into living in this house where I was listening out for noise in the gardens and surrounding area and it ruined me having my own peaceful time. Then I read something that I now repeat to myself - noise is just other people enjoying themselves. Somehow that has flipped my thinking and instead of feeling aggrieved that these people are annoying ME I now feel they are in no way trying to annoy ME but are merely people doing their own thing in their own way.

In essence nothing has changed in the area, but I certainly dont get all bent out of shape now and that has been huge for me. Hoping you find a way of co-existing too.

Daisy xxx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,783Posts Today

7,963Users online

Martin's Twitter