Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 16th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 5Thanks
    James Blonde
    What can my mum do with her money?
    • 16th May 19, 7:03 PM
    What can my mum do with her money? 16th May 19 at 7:03 PM
    We live in Scotland. After a number of falls, I'll health and periods in hospital left her unable to cope, and on recommendation by social services and doctors, my mum has just moved into rented (housing association) sheltered accommodation with on site care. Her house sale is due to go through tomorrow which will mean she has savings of around 150k.

She obviously needs to be able to fund her rent and her care (offset by benefits at her assessed rate) but am I right in saying she can effectively do what she wants with the rest of that money?
Page 2
    • James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 18th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    James Blonde
    I was aware care home fees were significantly higher, and even worse in England, but I have to admit I had no idea fees of 7.5k a month were even a thing! how can that be possible?! What are you getting for that money that you couldn't get by privately paying 2-3 people a decent wage to look after your every need! That's crazy!

Think I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that old age just isn't worth it, though I honestly don't believe there will be a retirement age by the time I get there. Might as well cash everything in, enjoy the money, and then when it runs out... Well.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 18th May 19, 2:46 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Yep, it's cheaper to go on a world cruise, if you are able that is...................
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 18th May 19, 4:15 PM
    • 6,223 Posts
    • 10,713 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Certainly the OP should look into care home costs but putting in figures like 60,000/year and higher rates of 7,400/month when you don't know where they live or standard costs in that area is not very helpful.
    Originally posted by kangoora
    Care home fees are expensive but that's extortionate, I've never heard of fees even close to that. Where in the country is that and what do you get for the money? I'm willing to bet this certainly isn't a council run home!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 18th May 19, 5:32 PM
    • 4,573 Posts
    • 11,910 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Care home fees are expensive but that's extortionate, I've never heard of fees even close to that. Where in the country is that and what do you get for the money? I'm willing to bet this certainly isn't a council run home!
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    It's in Beaconsfield, Bucks - a pretty expensive place to live - and no, it's not a council run home. I only gave the paperwork a cursory read, but the highest costs would be for those receiving high level nursing/ dementia care.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 18th May 19, 5:35 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    ibizafan
    My 92 year old father went into a care home last week in N Herts. Not exactly a cheap area, and his fees are 950 pw. It would be 750 if no nursing care was required. A lot of money but at least he can choose where to go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,416Posts Today

7,956Users online

Martin's Twitter