Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toshkininny
    • By toshkininny 17th May 19, 8:46 AM
    • 1,129Posts
    • 622Thanks
    toshkininny
    Can BT charge for calling a non answered mobile from a landline?
    • 17th May 19, 8:46 AM
    Can BT charge for calling a non answered mobile from a landline? 17th May 19 at 8:46 AM
    I just want to check if this is common.

I have on occasions when we can't find our mobiles, called them from the landline, just for a couple of seconds and not picked up the call from the mobile - just disconnected it. My BT bill has now come in saying mobile phone called for one second and charging 0.33p. How can they charge for phoning a mobile when we haven't even connected? Is this right?
Page 2
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 18th May 19, 4:40 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    Ian011
    It is complete nonsense, because the consumer is no better off in understanding the cost in a simple way. Since every telco has its own rates, the caller will need his network price guide and go down to the 5th digit to discover the cost, of the connection, then factor in the per minute cost for the rest - Ah, but then charging is based on not when they answer, but on the gateway, and is it pro rata or rounded to the next minute? Possibly VAT extra too? Clear as mud. You criticised providers claiming calls were equal to a local or national call long after even BT dropped these delimiters ending charging by distance. A complaint to the ASA to outlaw such descriptions got absolutely nowhere as they said it was ‘generally accepted’ a useful indicator of costs.

The networks too got on the act, saying that all calls to 01,02 and 03 were the same cost. No they weren’t! If the 01 code connected to the CI or IoM you paid more, NOT the 01 cost promised. Other exceptions meant 07 was split into multiple charge rates and the only time you knew the true cost was when the bill came in. In 2019, clairvoyance is still required and you have to ask if this is satisfactory after such a long time.

Lastly, back when I had an ISDN 30 connection (1990) I found I could programme my terminals to present any number I wished (now called ‘spoofing’) in those 30 years no network has done anything to prevent the C7 signalling being used to modify the presentation numbers displayed by Caller Display devices - it has always been open to abuse, and now is a major concern as small switching systems make this potential for fraud as easy as pressing a few keys.

Having knowledge of some of OFTEL/OFCOM perverse decisions over the last 30 years makes you realise its mostly a mess, with reactive decisions often having to be unwound later - ‘premium’ rated phone calls being the star.
    Originally posted by Buzby
    You are conflating multiple issues. To stick to the single issue of 084 and 087 charges, callers who intend calling one of these numbers now need to know only the single per-minute rate Access Charge levied by the caller's phone provider, as detailed in their tariff guide, along with the per-call or per-minute Service Charge which MUST be shown alongside the number everywhere that the number is mentioned. The Service Charge is the same rate irrespective of which provider is used to make the call, you seem to be suggesting this is not the case. The only time anyone will need to look up the Service Charge is where the service provider has not stated the charge next to the number they are advertising - this failure can be reported to ASA. But, and this is the most important point, the splitting of these charges into the two parts made clear the premium rate nature of these numbers and paved the way for their use to be banned for customer service lines and public service service helplines. Anyone else with any sense has also dumped them. We now have the situation where hardly anyone ever calls these types of numbers, with the consequence that Ofcom is starting to think about completely removing these number ranges. And, that was the plan all along.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

528Posts Today

6,115Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin