Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 11th May 19, 4:08 PM
    • 195Posts
    • 160Thanks
    APennySaved
    How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner in 2019?
    • 11th May 19, 4:08 PM
    How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner in 2019? 11th May 19 at 4:08 PM
    Hi

We are looking for a cleaner to help on a fortnightly basis with house celaning.

How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner, in the UK, in 2019?

(I found an old thread with the same subject - different year or course! ,) - at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5042153, but it has been closed. So I am starting this fresh thread re 2019 rates.)

We are looking to hire privately rather than through an agency, as my old cleaner - a lovely Polish lady - said the ladies never get a good part of what the client pays the agency.

Last time I had a private cleaner was about 10 years ago. So the rates then would NOT be the rates now!!

Any ideas?
    Last edited by APennySaved; 11-05-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . !

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
Page 2
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 16th May 19, 9:41 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I use an agency and pay 12.95 an hour, 10/hr of which goes to the cleaner I send the agency fees off separately once a month they did want a standing order set up but I prefer to have control as we often have holidays or change the arrangement for other reasons so payments aren't always the same .

The first two people the agency sent weren't reliable or efficient but the lady I have now is brilliant. I wasn't keen to use an agency but couldn't find anyone myself and now at least they will find me someone else if needed and they have insurance.

I have two hours a week for a three bed house.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 17th May 19, 5:36 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    janb5
    My cleaner charges 13.50 per hour, so 2 hours costs me 27.

I'm just amazed at what she gets done in 2 hours!! Hoovers upstairs and downstairs + stairs, dusts ditto, washes kitchen floor and cleans the bathroom. I started using her because a bad hip meant lugging the hoover around was difficult. The hip has been better for a while now...
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I`m exactly the same as you having had a total knee replacement in January. Keeping my cleaner tho`!
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 17th May 19, 8:00 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    3 hours at 10 p/h every two weeks. And she’s brilliant. We provide hoover/steamer, she brings everything else. Like the poster above, she’s picky about who she cleans for and came highly recommended - she actually turns down work regularly. We’re very lucky to have her in my view. North Yorkshire.
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 20th May 19, 10:20 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    nLdn
    I pay 12 / hour in London.

If you deal with an agency, ask how much the cleaner doing the work actually gets. When I looked into it, the ones that answered were paying the cleaner well below london living wage. Luckily I found mine through personal recommendation of a friend.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 20th May 19, 2:32 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I pay 12 / hour in London.

If you deal with an agency, ask how much the cleaner doing the work actually gets. When I looked into it, the ones that answered were paying the cleaner well below london living wage. Luckily I found mine through personal recommendation of a friend.
    Originally posted by nLdn
    I am surprised you got an answer. Such information is usually considered commercial and confidential.

If you cannot get an answer from the agency, I would not push the cleaners to disclose how much they get paid as you could get them dropped from the agency's books for breaching confidentiality. They could also be sued for damages by the agency - but unlikely.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 20-05-2019 at 2:34 PM.
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 20th May 19, 10:18 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    nLdn
    Mistral001

Actually some of the agencies have a system where you pay the agency a monthly amount and it's up to you to give the remaining balance to the cleaner themselves when they turn up each time. This makes it clear what the cleaner themselves is taking home.

The most likely reason a cleaning agency would be hiding what they pay their cleaners would be to cover up them not paying equivalent to the living wage.

If I'm trusting someone to come into my home on a regular basis to clean I want to be confident they are being paid properly.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 21st May 19, 8:56 AM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    Mistral001
    Mistral001

If I'm trusting someone to come into my home on a regular basis to clean I want to be confident they are being paid properly.
    Originally posted by nLdn
    You probably would want to know whether they have a criminal record or not, whether they will be punctual, whether they will be professional and not speak about you and your business to other customers or neighbours etc. and of course whether they can actually clean properly. Those things are not necessarily linked to how much they are paid.
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 21st May 19, 10:39 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    nLdn
    I want people working for me to be treated well and with respect.
    • piggy_bank
    • By piggy_bank 21st May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    piggy_bank
    Out of curiosity - what is the etiquette with keys for a cleaner? Do they hold a spare key, do you hide one under a flowerpot, are you supposed to be around to let them in?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 21st May 19, 11:44 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,787 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Ours come once a month and blitz the house for 4 hours, two ladies. I pay 100 per month. It is a very large 4 bed/2 bath with Conservatory. They stick to the same day each month and are very reliable, but flexible.

We have a coded key lockbox ( bought off Amazon) where we store the house key.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

907Posts Today

7,434Users online

Martin's Twitter