Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th May 19, 5:04 AM
    • 3,425Posts
    • 47,935Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 17th May 2019
    • 17th May 19, 5:04 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 17th May 2019 17th May 19 at 5:04 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 17th May 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Dull, dreich, overcast and blustery here this morning, was woken up by the rain in the early hours, but it's barely damp underfoot at the moment - more rain forecast though. No line drying today, unless it changes dramatically.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and I'm showered, dressed and enjoying first cuppa and my porridge. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was pork loins, roasties, LO cauli/broc cheese, mash, yorkshires, peas and gravy. Tonight will be something easy - not sure what.

Yesterday I was reasonably productive, I got the errands done, then washing, drying - all line dried, basket was empty for a short while, but I notice it's not now! I did some brief housework - so it's ok.

So on to today -
    I'll be heading to the SM first thing, then home to unpack the shopping, and tackle the ironing. I also have some admin work and clearing my desk as it's getting a bit of a mess again.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 17-05-2019 at 5:17 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th May 19, 5:43 AM
    • 4,316 Posts
    • 53,823 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 17th May 19, 5:43 AM
    • 17th May 19, 5:43 AM
    Morning All

Thanks for the start nmlc.

Dry here but lots of high cloud, I don't have any washing to do today, got a load washed and dried when I got home from work yesterday. Once all my jobs were done I went to sit in the garden but the sun went behind a cloud and the breeze was quite strong so I gave up!

No swimming this morning, I woke up at 2am with a pain in my side so didn't sleep too well. It's OK this morning but may phone the docs later.

Spoke to DS1 yesterday, he and the DGC are coming over tomorrow for the weekend, I'm quite excited, haven't seen them since Easter.

Hope everyone's OK, hugs to those in need. Take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 17th May 19, 6:07 AM
    • 7,062 Posts
    • 99,213 Thanks
    redruby
    • 17th May 19, 6:07 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:07 AM
    Morning all

Overcast and chilly here today what a change from the rest of the week its really quite cold !

Off to work for me but Im on a course today so that will make a nice change I think its a H + S course but im not sure.

My Friday tidier comes today so it could all be sparkling when we get in tonight just the washing to do over the weekend.

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and rummage in the freezer after this.

Right I had better get on and get ready have good days all xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 17th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 8,797 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 17th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:35 AM
    Good morning, and thanks NMLC for starting off.

It's fine and sunny here, chilly tho. Yesterday was spoiled by a brisk easterly breeze, still it dried the washing.

We are going away for a couple of weeks tomorrow, to a family wedding, so we are taking the caravan and making a bit of a holiday out of it. I'm knee deep in lists at the moment, but it'll all get done. Most of our clothes went over to the van yesterday, and we'll pop over again today.
    it's in a secure storage so we don't worry about it being stolen with all our stuff in. You hear about people packing their caravans and parking overnight outside the house, and the van disappears, what a nightmare.

DD is calling in after school drop off, so I'll make breakfast for her.

Hope everyone is doing ok, I'll try and post while I'm away, but I'll definitely be reading along.

Take care everyone xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 19, 6:39 AM
    • 7,402 Posts
    • 50,280 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th May 19, 6:39 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:39 AM
    Morning all.

After a bit of dashing around I then spent more time twiddling my thumbs waiting for DM to arrive. She appeared at about 3.30pm, the ambulance service use a mechanical stair-climber which makes a noise just like the half robot in 'The Wrong Trousers'.

She was so pleased to be home though tired. She did a little walk down the corridor to look out her window to the park, shuffled back up to the bedroom and lay on her bed. Most of the rest of the day was spent watching some recorded TV programmes, talking to some visitors who had responded to the balloons in the close and nibbling on a sandwich.

I sort out all the meds into the pill box!

This morning her cleaner is coming to visit DM. I'll have to go out for a little too-up shop and the dance attendance.

I hope that everyone is doing well or getting better and wish you all a happy Friday.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th May 19, 7:19 AM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 21,742 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 17th May 19, 7:19 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:19 AM
    Good morning everyone and a happy Friday to you all,

Rather muggy this morning. Despite the overnight rain and morning drizzle, it's still warm. No gym this morning as I was absolutely shattered when the alarm went off at 5am. Will still equally as tired at 7am when it went off again. I've brought my gym stuff with me and I'll aim to visit after work. My boss has invited me to his house for food a few beers with his friends. Still undecided about going. Not that I've any other plans, so I really should.

Yesterday morning I wasn't able to report on here as I was the physio through the NHS. I waited close to 3 months for the appointment and I'll need to wait 6 weeks for my next. I went regarding my knee, which normally gives me pain only when I sprint but it's now when I'm walking up stairs. The young (and I mean young) girl I seen didn't fill me with confidence and diagnosed me with inflamation in my quad which is completely different to what private physios have told me in the past. I've been told no running for 6-8 weeks which is a real bummer as I was really getting into it. But she's the one with the qualifications, not me, so who I am to question her.

Couple more NSD's recently takes me up to 6.

camelot - Hope the pain dissipates.
    RR - Ahhh not health and safety!! Hope it's not too painful.
    Scarlet - Enjoy your trip away with the family. I do love a good wedding.
    Gers - Lovely to hear your DM is home, safe and sound. Hopefully this gives you a little bit of rest bite, too.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 17th May 19, 7:20 AM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 25,587 Thanks
    snoozer
    • 17th May 19, 7:20 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:20 AM
    Gers, good news, hopefully things will go better than last time.

Hester, your new dog looks very cute and settled, as if he's been a boat dog forever.

Taff, I hope your leg is feeling a bit better.

We went over to Chris' to mow the lawn yesterday afternoon. He won't be back from Bridgend until Saturday so we thought we'd save him a few hours (big lawn). He has got his leaving do on Friday night although he still has a week to work in Wales.

I got back to find a parcel I had given up on had arrived. The wrapping had been damaged and it had been put in a plastic bag but the books inside were fine. I'd been feeling very guilty about it (even though it wasn't my fault) because it was a private seller and I felt that she might not believe me when I said it hadn't arrived. Anyway, I've paid now so it's all ok.

Friday tidy today, and hopefully some sewing in store as well.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th May 19, 7:36 AM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 23,637 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 17th May 19, 7:36 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:36 AM
    Good morning everyone
    It's lovely out at the moment although it is forecast to be a bit drizzly later on. Steve and Phoebe have left for work, Lilly has college at 10 and Lee is going to the gym so I shall have a bit of time on my ownsome.

Yesterday turned out to be quite busy with visitors and I had only had 3 hours sleep so I found it a bit trying. I have managed a few more hours last night and although I got up at 3am as usual, I went back to bed at 6 and slept till 8am. I feel as though I can cope a bit better with things today although I hope it is just a nice quiet day really.

Thanks for all the people asking after Lee, his interview isn't until next Wednesday so he is just preparing for it at the moment. I have everything crossed that he gets a place on the course as it would mean so much to him.

Not sure what we are going to have for tea, I have some chicken breast defrosted so maybe a curry. Lilly was complaining that we eat too much curry and chilli but until she offers to cook a meal I am just ignoring her.

Glad to hear your Mum is home Gers, hopefully she will recover better in her own home. I hope you can take some time for yourself too xx

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 17th May 19, 8:22 AM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 24,251 Thanks
    RosyRed
    • 17th May 19, 8:22 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:22 AM
    Morning all,hope you are all well or at least as well as you can be. Glad to see your DM is at home Gers.I'll be reading back later as I've missed a couple of days news due to being outside in the nice weather and gallivanting.My friend I met on Tuesday had a 2 for 1 code at an Italian place so we went there for a change.Yesterday I met up with my cousins and went to our usual place & nattered for England I've also been up the road to Aunties so I feel like I've had a sociable week for a change. Today will be spent tidying and other boring stuff to make up for it.

My new Panny breadmachine arrived this week.My old one must have been on the way out for a while as the loaves are rising much more,but I had had it for about 10 years at least & it must have made hundreds of loaves in that time.The best thing is I got it from E bay and it was half the price,but it was clearly unused,just missing the paddle which was soon remedied.I kept the old one too just in case it gets mislaid,but the new one just slides out and hardly leaves a hole unlike the old one.My only problem now is keeping up with demand...hardly cooled down before the menfolk start hacking away .Speaking of which, I'd better get a new loaf going .Hope you all have a nice weekend xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 35,681 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. A dull start here but now brightening up.

I am a late comer this morning as I had a manic start with the 3 DGDs to sort out and dispatch to school, followed by the arrival of the decorator. He had purposely left the last bit of painting (the banister) until there was no danger of childrens' fingers grabbing it on their way up and down the stairs! Just watch, it'll be me who grabs it!!

He has gone now but is returning later for the mountain of equipment etc he has here. It's all over the place upstairs so no chance of a Friday Tidy up there till it's all gone. Once I have got the bookcase back at the bottom of the stairs I can start filling it with my much pruned stack of books and then I can at least give a half hearted clean around downstairs. I look forward to being straight again but the hall, stairs and landing look so much better that it's been worth the upheaval. The trouble is it shows everywhere else up now! Always the case isn't it!

Pleased to hear GERS DM is safely back home and hope she progresses better than last time. SCARLETT RIBBONS have a lovely holiday. The weather is set to improve again next week the WM says. TAFF I hope you are in less pain today. I hope SILVER OLDIE is bearing up with the stress she is under.

Have a lovely day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for those who need them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 17th May 19, 10:27 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    Phew I've made it on here before lunch today .
    Slept really well last night, 9hrs with only one loo visit so I should feel on the ball today, as I have lots to do ready for our hols which start on Sunday. Unfortunately my head is not complying as I've already put some softener in the wrong WM drawer .

This morning we did a quick visit to Al*is for a cooked chicken and salad stuff to take with us ( we will have that for Sunday lunch ) and the shop is in chaos as they are mid extension, so everything is everywhere.... mostly in the aisles .
    Now my coffee break is over I have to sort/tidy the house, finish the washing ,do the last of the ironing and start some packing. The hardest part is getting Mr Fix It to decide what he needs to take, not what he wants . I am refusing to take all the walking gear, which seems enough to climb the Eiger for a start .

Enough procrastinating I must do something while I wait for the WM to finish, I'm hoping the washing will dry outside, but the sky looks ominous at the moment. I need to try to do nearly everything today as tomorrow I'm going to see "Joseph" in Cardiff with DD. I hope she's feeling up to it as she has been quite poorly this week .

Scarlett enjoy the wedding and your holiday.
    Speky I hope the knee gets sorted soon.
    TA that would be me catching hold too .
    Hugs and healing vibes to everyone in pain, undergoing treatment or going through the wringer for any reason.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 17th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Morning all,

Just OH,DD1, Mossie and me here for the weekend, DD3 and family have gone to a wedding in Clare, DGD7 is spending the weekend with Ganny (aka Granny) in Tralee and they will all return on Monday.

Although promised, we had no rain yesterday, it was cooler, today is cloudy so far.

Gers.....good to hear that DM is home ,easier for both of you, she will be better now among her familiar things.

SO hope that thigs are better for you.

Hester.....love your dog!

TA......you are one busy lady..

OH is in the kitchen concocting some brunch......he normally only eats one (large)meal per day and this is it......he doesn't understand that I prefer smaller meals but more of them!

Have a good day.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th May 19, 2:36 PM
    • 16,735 Posts
    • 143,395 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums not a brilliantly sunny day here in Kent ,although resonably dry .
    Today would have been my OH's birthday bless him he would have been 86.I wonder what he would have thought of the world the way it is now.I think he would have been pleased at how our children and grand children have coped and no doubt pleased at how the grandchildren have grown up.I know he would be delighted with our little granddaughter and the hope for the new one due on New years Eve.

I cannot believe its almost 16 years have gone by ,I swear time goes quicker the older you get.

I had History club today and it was really interesting as we found out all about the history of shops and the big department stores.

I am at DDs tonight for dinner and we shall as usual be discussing her late Dad and all the jokes he pulled on us all over the years.He was an inveterate practical joker

Right time for my afternoon cuppa as my DGS has just got in from school

Hope you all have a good weekend and your DM continues to improve Gers

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 17th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Evening everyone

Visiting family in the north west. It’s my dgs 5th birthday today, party tomorrow at the leisure centre, was due to be at home but changed due to weather report. Was meant to be spending day with ds1, but he is unwell and on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

grandchildren are now in bed so will head back to dm and spend the rest of evening there.

Gers glad Dm got home ok.
    Redruby I want a Friday tidier too.
    Holly - enjoy the batch cooking
    OL - I made my ds1 chopped egg today because he was ill!
    Taff - slow down
    Jackieo - enjoy your evening, your dh would be proud.

Hugs to anyone that needs/wants one. Take care
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

477Posts Today

4,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin