Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lelyndz
    • By Lelyndz 17th May 19, 5:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lelyndz
    False car insurance claim made against me
    • 17th May 19, 5:13 PM
    False car insurance claim made against me 17th May 19 at 5:13 PM
    Hi. My car insurance company contacted me out of the blue to say I had been involved in an accident. News to me! The alleged accident took place two months before they contacted me. They took details from me and i told them I wasn't involved in any accident. I was also at my place of work at the time and date. I also used public transport that day. They advised someone would be in touch to ask for more supporting evidence and possibly arrange an engineer to inspect my car.

Fast forward 3 months and no contact since except a letter advising the matter had been investigated and it would be deemed my fault.

I esculated this to the complaints team (they also mishandled my complaint who since have paid me 100 in compensation for bad communication) who have advised they made this decision based on photographic evidence of me in my car at the scene. At no point did they ask for a photo of myself or in fact carry out any further investigation.

They are now advising I need to prove I wasn't there. I have a letter from my employer and bank statement showing my debit card transaction for the public transport tickets. I will be asking to see this photo of course, and what other details they were initially provided with from the third party insurer.

Its shocking that my insurance company have failed to investigate this properly! I contacted the police too but they weren't interested. Someone could have cloned my plates. Can anyone give me any further advice? Is my supporting evidence enough to prove my innocence?
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th May 19, 5:40 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 17th May 19, 5:40 PM
    • 17th May 19, 5:40 PM
    If you can’t resolve your complain ask for a letter of deadlock and take it to the ombudsman, but obviously send your evidence and ask for the photo.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

969Posts Today

7,259Users online

Martin's Twitter