Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brownsucre
    • By brownsucre 17th May 19, 1:56 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    brownsucre
    Securing my children's money
    • 17th May 19, 1:56 PM
    Securing my children's money 17th May 19 at 1:56 PM
    Hi everyone!
    So, it's been a very interesting experience on this forum having joined recently... I am hoping to get some very important and useful opinions/advises here.

From a few unpleasant things that has happened in my marriage, I now know that I have to protect the finances of my children who are very little at the moment- one being a baby...
    I have started putting aside some money in their name. But how do I ensure that
    that their money is protected - that my husband will have no access to them either until they reach adult age? This of course, is if death comes to me before I intend it to.
    Reason I'm asking this is that my husband has been very irresponsible with our finances. And we are in huge debt at the moment - though I have now started tackling it with him (paying them off gradually) since I found out. He has an adult daughter (from his previous marriage of many years ago) who is married with kids. But she has been very spoilt and constantly desperate for money that she makes up soppy stories which he falls for. Over the years, my husband has exploited our finances behind my back with his daughter. A recent incident exposed everything early this year.

I know that if my husband has access to my children's money, he will heave it all to his daughter when she makes up a story. His daughter used to exploit their grandmother (my husband's mother) who was in a vulnerable situation but when the rest of his family found out, they took control of their mother's finances - so closed off that access to their mother's money. That's how 'shameless' the whole thing is.

I know that I cannot stop him from giving her money but the financial security of my little children matter so much to me now. Please, I would appreciate the best action plan to go about this.

Thank you all.
Page 1
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 17th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    shiny76
    • 17th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:44 PM
    This would be a good start:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/junior-isa/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin