Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1,298Posts
    • 741Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 9:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 19
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th May 19, 2:08 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    As we pay 1 month in advance and (some of us) have high Winter DDs and its been a mild Winter, I expect many people will have large credits going in to Summer. Time to read the T&Cs...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • tk47
    • By tk47 13th May 19, 3:03 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    tk47
    Its quite frustrating that their website is slow to update the balance.

Our statement date around the 14th of the month, we're now 13th May and our account on the website is showing a credit balance of £195, I asked for this to be refunded given our monthly payments are still on the "high" cycle and our usage is quite low and we'll be leaving them once they go back up again as it will be the 12 month fixed deal ending so there won't be any "debt" to build up again - they keep saying the statement issued on the 14th shows this balance is reduced by that months usage...so why doesn't the website show a balance which is previous balance less billed balance on the 14th? Seems like it will a always be one month out of date if thats the case
    Originally posted by ashe
    The online account is updated as soon as the supplier has the required information.

But I agree it is not updated automatically as soon as the supplier receives your meter readings, as some suppliers do. I guess they are cautious enough to wait and only use meter readings that are approved by the independant meter reading agency.

As regards to credit, for example, this is updated on your online account almost as soon as it is received.

Remember, you pay in advance for your energy, so your online account will always have a credit balance of at least 1 months payments (assuming you are paying enough to cover your usage)

If you have not been billed for last month yet, then your account will currently show at least 2 months credit (on the same terms as above)

Your monthly bill is the best place to find out the health of your account, as its shows the balance at the end of the month i.e. after you take account of credit applied (less payment in advance) and the cost of your consumption.

If there is an issue with the level of DD, I found this supplier to not take too long, and adopt a sensible approach, to any complaint logically argued.
    - as I reported in this thread last Sept when the supplier tried to increase almost everyones monthly payment by £4.00 exactly for no obvious reason.

I've eventually received a reply from UP about my challenge to the DD increase.

They have agreed they could find no justification for this increase and so have agreed it should never have been changed.

Unfortunately, they were too late to stop the increase this month, so they took the extra £4 anyway

To resolve this, they propose to take £8 less next month (i.e. £4 less than my previous, usualy monthly payment) and then revert to the previously agreed monthly payment.
    Originally posted by tk47
    Last edited by tk47; 13-05-2019 at 3:07 PM.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th May 19, 3:12 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    As regards to credit, for example, this is updated on your online account almost as soon as it is received.
    Originally posted by tk47
    ...which can be a 3/4 days after the DD date.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • tk47
    • By tk47 13th May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    tk47
    ...which can be a 3/4 days after the DD date.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    ... Even longer if there are bank holidays as well as weekends involved
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 13th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I reclaimed credit from Utility Point last month without issue.

However I did ensure that my point was put across in such a way as to show that the credit could be returned without causing my account to go overdrawn at any time in the near future.

I emailed them on the last day of my account month and told them that I had calculated that my bill would be x amount and that I would be in credit by £56 as at the bill. I asked for £50 to be returned and also asked for the direct debit to be reduced back to last year's original amount for the May DD collection.

Two working days later, they agreed by email to reduce the direct debit and refund the £50. The DD was shown reduced in the portal that day and the credit was returned to my bank some 19 days later.

So it worked out for me.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 17th May 19, 10:20 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Noticing my account was in a large amount of credit this morning after being billed, I've asked Utility Point to refund me the best part of it. My reasoning is that I will have over summer to build enough credit for winter. Better in my pocket than theirs.

How long do refunds take? I was told up to 28 days.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 17th May 19, 10:49 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    ashe
    Are you noticing from your bill or your balance shown on the website? As the balance doesn’t seem to factor in what your last bill says eg mine on website says £238 credit but they tell me my last bill wasn’t taken off that amount despite the bill going down when the bill was issued and going up when the payment comes out.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 17th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    MABLE

How long do refunds take? I was told up to 28 days.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Thats your answer then!
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 17th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Are you noticing from your bill or your balance shown on the website? As the balance doesn’t seem to factor in what your last bill says eg mine on website says £238 credit but they tell me my last bill wasn’t taken off that amount despite the bill going down when the bill was issued and going up when the payment comes out.
    Originally posted by ashe
    The account balance shown on the bill seems to match the balance on the website.
    Thats your answer then!
    Originally posted by MABLE
    If only it was that simple...
    credit was returned to my bank some 19 days later.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 17th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @poppellerant

I was also told that it could take up to 28 days when they confirmed the refund but it was only 19 days in actuality. I guess they were giving themselves some leeway.
    19 days is less than 28 just in case that wasn't clear from my earlier post so I received the refund earlier than anticipated.
    Last edited by gsmlnx; 17-05-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 17th May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    poppellerant
    @poppellerant

I was also told that it could take up to 28 days when they confirmed the refund but it was only 19 days in actuality. I guess they were giving themselves some leeway.
    19 days is less than 28 just in case that wasn't clear from my earlier post so I received the refund earlier than anticipated.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Seems like 19 is the magic number then.

I just like to know what is coming and going from my bank account and have always been weary of uncertainties.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 21st May 19, 8:33 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    MABLE
    Cannot rate them highly enough. Excellent company.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 10th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    After being with Utility Point since Jan last year and singing their praises, I have now started a move away from them.

Two reasons:

1) I now have my eligibilty back for Warm Home Discount and so it is cheaper for me to return back to a WHD providor. (Not by much, but every penny counts)

2) I was going to leave my gas with UP, so phoned them to renew. The person who answered the phone did not have a clue. I had my monthly payments worked out, so first of all asked for my DD payments to be amended. I went through security and then he asked me for my bank details. I thought the bank deatils was part of security. He then said that he had amended my details, was there anything else I wanted. Told him that I did not want to amend my details, only the payments. I then heard a tut. He then asked me what I wanted to change my payments to, messed around for a few minutes and said he had done the amendment.

I was not amused at this point - mainly the tut and his mannerism. He then asked if he could help any further - decided that if he could not do a simple amendment correctly, God only knows what would happen when I asked to renew my gas.

Told him no thanks - and have moved my electricity back to EON and gas back to ZOG.

It's a shame, as UP started out brilliantly. Now, for me anyway, I can see a decline.
    Last edited by PennineAcute; 10-06-2019 at 4:51 PM.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 10th Jun 19, 5:27 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Benight
    After being with Utility Point since Jan last year and singing their praises, I have now started a move away from them.

Two reasons:

1) I now have my eligibilty back for Warm Home Discount and so it is cheaper for me to return back to a WHD providor. (Not by much, but every penny counts)

2) I was going to leave my gas with UP, so phoned them to renew. The person who answered the phone did not have a clue. I had my monthly payments worked out, so first of all asked for my DD payments to be amended. I went through security and then he asked me for my bank details. I thought the bank deatils was part of security. He then said that he had amended my details, was there anything else I wanted. Told him that I did not want to amend my details, only the payments. I then heard a tut. He then asked me what I wanted to change my payments to, messed around for a few minutes and said he had done the amendment.

I was not amused at this point - mainly the tut and his mannerism. He then asked if he could help any further - decided that if he could not do a simple amendment correctly, God only knows what would happen when I asked to renew my gas.

Told him no thanks - and have moved my electricity back to EON and gas back to ZOG.

It's a shame, as UP started out brilliantly. Now, for me anyway, I can see a decline.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    That'll cost you, just because you had a poor experience with one phone jockey

I personally wouldn't be moving to Zog at this time - they are far too expensive as they haven't lowered their gas prices for ages, despite most other suppliers dropping theirs in the face of lower wholesale prices.

If you hadn't gone to UP in the first place, you could still be enjoying a super low 2 year fixed tariff that Zog used to offer (with no exit fees either )

They've now corrected the anomoly of zero exit fee tariffs being cheaper than the equivient tariffs with exit fees (but I can't blame them for that)

I'm not sure what Zog are up to recently? Perhaps they are building up their war chest to lauch an electricity supply that they had originally threatened to lauch last year, but beginning of this year said it might be end of this year now.

Zog need to remember why most of their customers went to them i.e. low cost.
    If they lose that vision, they will lose most of their existing customers come the end of the cheap deals that most are on.

For an average user, the cheapest Zog tariff is coming in at about 5% more expensive the cheapest UP tariff (this may vary by region, but I suspect Zog are currently more expensive than UP in all regions for gas)
    As you said "every penny counts"
    MSEers should consult a comparison site to find the best deal for them.

I have noticed that the growth in customer numbers at Zog has stalled over recent months which speaks volumes.
    Perhaps this is part of their business planning in anticipation of lauching their electricity suppy too ... but it needs to be cheap to attract customers.

And, of course there are no kick backs available with Zog.
    Last edited by Benight; 10-06-2019 at 5:50 PM.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 10th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Zog's two year, for me, is £12 more expensive than new UP's 15 months and my current. Compared to my current UP rate and their current new tariff. Same UP, SC is 3p a day more.

UP's new electric tariff is £387, compared to £303 what I am paying now. EON is £403. Yes, I took a hit on exit fees £36, but I am not being spoken to, or treat in that manner. Distance customer sevice is the same as face to face customer service. Pleasant and polite, even if you think the customer is a ... If I get treated badly in a shop, I take my custom elsewhere, even if it means paying that bit more.

I was with EON and Zog before I moved to UP, so it is not a new venture - although past experiences do not mean good new experiences.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 10th Jun 19, 6:37 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    And yes, I consulted the comparison site - hence going with the second cheapest Gas supplier and the cheapest electricity that offered WHD. As I said, every penny counts.
    • FrugalWeasel
    • By FrugalWeasel 12th Jun 19, 4:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    FrugalWeasel
    Unhelpful and rigid
    I moved to Utility Point as they were the cheapest provider available for gas. I signed up to a fixed tariff for the same reason. Almost immediately my Utility Point gas bills were telling me there was a cheaper tariff available, but with their web site being useless for finding out tariff details it took me a few months (eventually realised it was easier to get the information from MSE comparison than out of Utility Point) to find the necessary information - they told me by email that the cheaper tariff on my bill was no longer available but gave me no information about what was available. They also told me they'd sent me current and prospective tariff info then never sent it. So I just finally rang them to try to change tariff. Here's what I learned through this process:
    - If you want to change from one Utility Point fixed tariff to another before the end of the term, the T&C say they may or may not charge you an exit fee. However, they will definitely ALWAYS charge you an exit fee, if it's earlier than 42 days before the end of your term (this 42 days is forced on them by regulations). I've switched between a lot of energy companies over the years, and this is the first one to do this. I would still have saved money by paying the exit fee and moving to their now much cheaper tariff (they seem to bring out new tariffs at least monthly), but I'm not inclined to under the circumstances.
    - Their exit fee is £36, not £30. If you look at their price quotes there's small print saying plus 20% VAT, even though they list their other prices inclusive of VAT. They are sneaky enough about this to have fooled MSE, who still list the exit fee as £30 on comparisons.
    - If there is a credit balance on your account, they will only refund the difference between this credit balance and your monthly payment. Fair enough, I signed up to a deal which was clear about them taking payments a month in advance, and this will contribute to their cheaper prices since they're taking zero credit risk with anyone. What wasn't clear was that they are allowed to take up to 28 days to make any requested refund, and this means they will ALWAYS take the maximum 28 days before paying it. Again, this is the first company I have encountered who are doing this.

Overall the customer service person I spoke to was pretty rude and argumentative.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,182Posts Today

7,957Users online

Martin's Twitter