First EON bill £909! Usage question

Options
Morris29
Morris29 Posts: 15 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi, wondered if anyone could help please?

I have received my first gas and electricity bill today (moved into a new build 27/10/18). They took the reading via my smart meter and it comes to £909! This seems a lot higher than I used to pay for a similar size, less energy efficient property. I live in a 4 bed detached that heats up very quickly. I do one load of washing per day, do use the tumble drier during winter and use the quick wash on the dishwasher once per day. There are 2 adults and 1 x child that live in the property.

The readings are:

Electric
Opening 27/10/19 00077
Today 01924

Gas
Opening 00072
Today 01189

I’m shocked that I have used enough to cost £909. I have rung them to query it but they said it will take 3-5 days to reissue the bill (the bill they gave today was via the smart readings).

Could it be possible that there’s an issue with the meters or does this usage sound relatively normal? Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sounds fairly reasonable. Maybe 10% higher than a random guess, which means nothing.

Remember quick wash on both dishwaser and washer does not mean cheap wash. Usually means expensive wash. the 3 hour cycle on my washer is the cheapest (don't use a dishwasher, seems more effort than its worth!).

What you need to say for more thought is what do you use that makes heat and how much.

Shower (electric/gas?), heating, cooking, kettle, water, washer, dishwasher, dryer. etc etc.

FWIW one load of washing a day seems ridiculous to me. But it's all obut the cycles. Using a quick 90 degree cycle costs a lot more than a cold 3 hour cycle. Both clean the clothes (with appropriate washing goop!).
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The usage does not seem too far off usual but the cost seems high. How do the readings on the bill compare to those taken today ? Did you check the actual meter readings on moving in ? What are the billed kWhs for the gas and what are your unit prices and daily charges ?
  • Morris29
    Morris29 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I’m not being as energy efficient as I had hoped, I thought quick wash option would be most effective for some reason!

I should’ve said that the gas element is only being billed from 27/12/19 for some reason despite me telling them when I moved in. We have gas heating/water and job but none are on constantly
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 May 2019 at 10:20PM
    Options
    It's much better to check your meters yourself at least once a month and make sure that they are being recorded correctly and you'll also know how much you are using. Don't just assume that because you've got smart meters that the readings are being used - you really need to check yourself.

Just relying on the smart meters to get on with it doesn't help you understand your consumption unless you check your on-line account regularly. Have you actually verified that the bills are based on actual meter readings rather than estimates - they'll have A for Actual, E for Estimate, D for deemed against the readings.

Just waiting for a bill to fall through the letterbox (or E-mail or whatever) is a bit too late because you've used it all and got to pay for it but you don't have a clue where its all gone. If you don't monitor it yourself then you can't do anything about reducing it.

I only use £909 in a whole year for my leccy (and we are all electric, heating, hot water, cooking, washing, drying, dishwashing etc etc) so I'd be looking very carefully and trying to find out where its all being used.

You should also be checking your tariff. A poor choice of tariff could easily account for £200 of that.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They took the reading via my smart meter and it comes to £909!
    Seems reasonable enough for the 6 coldest months of the year.
    This seems a lot higher than I used to pay for a similar size, less energy efficient property.

Did you build up Summer credit in the previous property? Remember you haven't done that yet with this one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Game_Over
    Game_Over Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Morris29 wrote: »
    Hi, wondered if anyone could help please?

I have received my first gas and electricity bill today (moved into a new build 27/10/18). They took the reading via my smart meter and it comes to £909! This seems a lot higher than I used to pay for a similar size, less energy efficient property. I live in a 4 bed detached that heats up very quickly. I do one load of washing per day, do use the tumble drier during winter and use the quick wash on the dishwasher once per day. There are 2 adults and 1 x child that live in the property.

The readings are:

Electric
    Opening 27/10/19 00077
    Today 01924

Gas
    Opening 00072
    Today 01189

I’m shocked that I have used enough to cost £909. I have rung them to query it but they said it will take 3-5 days to reissue the bill (the bill they gave today was via the smart readings).

Could it be possible that there’s an issue with the meters or does this usage sound relatively normal? Many thanks for any help.

Did they explain how issuing a new biull would change the cost of the energy you have already been billed according to the bill you already have?

Presumably a new bill, based on later readings, will simply demand even more money.

Perhaps this will help you for the future?
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Morris29,

Already some excellent advice on the thread, so thank you guys :)

I agree with what's being said.

Did you take the reads directly from the meter when you moved in? Do the reads we've billed to match what's on the actual meter.

Check that you're on the best tariff for you, on the website and the comparison sites.

The bill only really covers the colder months so far, so have you thought about setting up a monthly Direct Debit to even out your payments. There's lots of information on the website about how a Direct Debit works, if that may help a little.

I'm not sure why we're issuing a new bill, unless some of the reads have been estimated.

I would advise you to set up an online account, you can then pop reads on regularly to produce a real time bill or balance, you'll then see where your energy is being used. You can also adjust your Direct Debit on there and can basically keep fully on top of your account.

If you do need some more help, please just ask.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Find the pdf manuals on line, They should say how much power every setting uses.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Morris29 - Consumption looks OK for what includes a winter period.

Get into the habit of reading your own meters and keep a simple spreadsheet.

Have you had no bills since you moved in ? No emails telling you to look online ? Not looked at you online account ?

Your costs look high - what tariff are you on ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP has not logged back onto the site since 15th May.

As is so often the case, posters are generous with their time and effort to help someone but the thread starter never returns to thank them or tell us the outcome.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure