Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Apr 07, 4:08 PM
    • 8,115Posts
    • 42,285Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt
    • 4th Apr 07, 4:08 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt 4th Apr 07 at 4:08 PM
    UPDATE NOTE: The info from this discussion has now been collated and is part of the full "How to cut the cost of supermarket shopping article"

The very best supermarket reductions are on fresh goods that are going out of date, but what’s the best time to grab these bargains?

I’d like any MoneySavers who work or have worked at any of the big supermarkets to dish the dirt on stores’ official reduction policies. This way we’ll be able to spot patterns and figure out the best times to get down to the reduced aisle.

Please let me know:
    • Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for?
    • What times of day do you reduce prices?
    • How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate)
    • What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)?
    • Who has the authority to reduce prices?
    • If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on it’s sell-by date are you allowed to?
    • Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store?
    • And any other useful tips …
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-12-2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 12
  • asbokid
    Actually the Tesco company pension is quite good.
    Originally posted by blazemore
    The company's career-average occupational pension is graded as mediocre to poor.

And my wage suits me fairly well; I'm only part-time, and I'm a student. I wouldn't want to have to live off it though.
    Perhaps for the under 21, the typical Tesco wage of 6.61 might seem appealing. But for an adult, the pay is scarcely above the minimum wage.

But yes, we do play little games with the pushy, rude ones. The ones who are in there every day, stopping us doing our job with their demands.

Once every couple of hours I check the bananas, discarding any bruised or damaged ones. The way to waste loose goods is to print out a reduction label with 0% reduction, and scan that into the waste system.
    That's nice. Is that something you were specifically trained to do? Is it Tesco policy across the store chain?

or...
    Put all the bruised bananas in a bag, and stick the 0% reduction label on it. These people just see the reduction label and go crazy; it's like catnip for them. So they grab the bag and don't even look at it. We sell all the bananas we were going to waste, at full price. They think they're getting some kind of fantastic bargain.
    The hardened money saver wouldn't fall for that mean-spirited sleight of hand.

It will just be types like the overworked single mum who is rushing to do her shop before school close, who falls victim.

Foolishly for her, she puts her faith in Tesco ethics. Every Little Helps, and all that.

The label implies reduced, she thinks, and the bananas are loose and tired, so they must be reduced, bless her.

Oh dear. What a mistake!

Meanwhile..

"LONDON (AFP) – Britain's biggest retailer Tesco on Tuesday (April 19) posted a 14-percent rise in annual net profits to 2.65 billion"

That's a profit of 5041 per minute.

Every Little Helps, indeed.
    • blazemore
    • By blazemore 25th Apr 11, 11:25 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    blazemore
    The company's career-average occupational pension is graded as mediocre to poor.
    Originally posted by asbokid
    OK maybe you're right, I don't have one.
    The union said that the Tesco pension was quite good, I'm just repeating that information

Perhaps for the under 21, the typical Tesco wage of 6.61 might seem appealing. But for an adult, the pay is scarcely above the minimum wage.
    I am under 21, and I'm talking about me.

That's nice. Is that something you were specifically trained to do? Is it Tesco policy across the store chain?
    I don't go out of my way to entice them to buy it. We have something called a "freshness trolley" into which we put bruised fruit, out-of-date produce etc that we find.
    When I label up the bananas ready for waste, I tend to put the banana bag on top of the trolley, rather than in one of the green trays beneath. Half an hour later, it's usually gone.

The hardened money saver wouldn't fall for that mean-spirited sleight of hand.

It will just be types like the overworked single mum who is rushing to do her shop before school close, who falls victim.
    I absolutely disagree. There are two types of reduction hunters:
    • Those who have a quick look to see if there's anything they fancy. There probably isn't, but you never know, they might unearth a bargain.
    • Those who follow my reduction trolley around, grab my potential reduction list off me and scan down it, pointing at things and saying "when you get to that, it's mine, don't let anyone else have it". They'll be in the shop for literally two hours, getting in the way of your actual work, making reductions one of the longest jobs of the shift. I honestly dread going to work sometimes because the same people will be hovering around, finding produce and saying "this looks a bit bruised, can I have 90% off? No? Oh my friend the other day got 90% off, blah blah blah".
    It's the second kind who will go rooting around the waste trolley.

Foolishly for her, she puts her faith in Tesco ethics. Every Little Helps, and all that.
    I became concerned about the reduction culture which was starting to grow in our store. I mentioned it to the store manager, who agreed that we should do everything we can to prevent this "reduction culture" as we are a fairly new store. I've mentioned to my manager that we should put a sign up next to the reduction department saying: "CUSTOMER NOTICE: All reductions are made at the shop staff's discretion".
    The Tesco Ethics do NOT involve reductions! It's an unfortunate side-effect of not being able to precisely gauge the exact amount of fresh food we'll sell every day.

The label implies reduced, she thinks, and the bananas are loose and tired, so they must be reduced, bless her.
    If she was that dedicated to saving 50p on a bag of split bananas, she'd probably have a rough idea of what they'd cost if they weren't reduced. Like I said, it's not the rushed people opportunistically grabbing a reduced item they were going to buy full-price anyway, it's the dedicated misers. It's not their miserly ways I oppose (I'd be a hypocrite after all!) but it's the way they feel they're entitled to reductions.

"LONDON (AFP) Britain's biggest retailer Tesco on Tuesday (April 19) posted a 14-percent rise in annual net profits to 2.65 billion"

That's a profit of 5041 per minute.

Every Little Helps, indeed.
    I heard 110 a second.
    • cardiffforthefacup
    • By cardiffforthefacup 25th Apr 11, 12:07 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    cardiffforthefacup
    If she was that dedicated to saving 50p on a bag of split bananas, she'd probably have a rough idea of what they'd cost if they weren't reduced. Like I said, it's not the rushed people opportunistically grabbing a reduced item they were going to buy full-price anyway, it's the dedicated misers. It's not their miserly ways I oppose (I'd be a hypocrite after all!) but it's the way they feel they're entitled to reductions. end of blazemore quote

Most of the stuff that tends to reduced is usually of very bad quality and I am surprised tesco can get away with selling rotting meat and vegetables. There are a number of grabbers around who shove the frail out of way in order to get what they want, but in the store I go to its the elderly and bad sighted who tend to get conned by the likes of you, you should learn a little humility as one day all this will come back on you and you may be the one who has to decide whether you could afford to buy fresh fruit/veg or only reduced. Shame on you.
    • blazemore
    • By blazemore 25th Apr 11, 12:13 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    blazemore
    Most of the stuff that tends to reduced is usually of very bad quality and I am surprised tesco can get away with selling rotting meat and vegetables. There are a number of grabbers around who shove the frail out of way in order to get what they want, but in the store I go to its the elderly and bad sighted who tend to get conned by the likes of you, you should learn a little humility as one day all this will come back on you and you may be the one who has to decide whether you could afford to buy fresh fruit/veg or only reduced. Shame on you.
    Originally posted by cardiffforthefacup
    Most of the stuff that I reduce is not usually of bad quality. Anything with mould on does not get sold.
    I am not conning anyone! I did my waste like I was supposed to! It's not my fault they go rooting around IN my waste trolley. They're looking for stuff that fits their low standards so they can try and get me to do 90% off.

I do feel sorry for them if they really can only afford reduced fruit and veg, but for the most part I don't think that's the case. They don't care what it is, as long as it's reduced. They just pick everything up.

Even if they are living below the poverty line, that's no excuse for being downright rude and pushy. They think just because they're the customer and I'm the staff, they can treat me however they please!
  • asbokid
    If you are harassed or angered by enthusiastic customers, or irritated by people gathering around you, then maybe you're in the wrong job, blazemore.

Why not transfer to the Tesco graveyard shift, and then you won't have to deal with the great unwashed at all?

Besides, where's your salesman's instinct? Find the Del boy in you!

"This tat needs shifting Rodders. Giz a hand flogging it down the market. Lovely jubbly!"

The minds of many of the younger generation have been captured, enslaving them to their corporate masters.
  • asbokid
    Put all the bruised bananas in a bag, and stick the 0% reduction label on it. These people just see the reduction label and go crazy; it's like catnip for them. So they grab the bag and don't even look at it. We sell all the bananas we were going to waste, at full price. They think they're getting some kind of fantastic bargain.
    Originally posted by blazemore
    • blazemore
    • By blazemore 25th Apr 11, 1:56 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    blazemore
    If you are harassed or angered by enthusiastic customers, or irritated by people gathering around you, then maybe you're in the wrong job, blazemore.

Why not transfer to the Tesco graveyard shift, and then you won't have to deal with the great unwashed at all?

"This tat needs shifting Rodders. Giz a hand flogging it down the market. Lovely jubbly!"

The minds of many of the younger generation have been captured, enslaving them to their corporate masters.
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job! I even enjoy reductions sometimes, especially flowers. I always do flowers down to 90% quite early, as I hate to throw them in the compactor. It makes everyone so happy when they can pick up an enormous bunch of tulips for 70p.
    • blazemore
    • By blazemore 25th Apr 11, 1:59 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    blazemore
    And no, that's just me. I've only done it twice, to be honest, and both times it was the same customer "hat lady" who's in every day (or at least every day I'm there), and is possibly the worst one.

One time she followed me into the staff only area.

Thinking about it now, it sounds so obvious to just not get worked up about it, but it's different when you're there.
    I know everyone thinks supermarket jobs are just some kind of big doss, but when I'm the only one on the department for the last 5 hours on a Wednesday, there is a LOT of work to get done, and customers like this really don't help.
    • charlie-chan
    • By charlie-chan 26th Apr 11, 8:56 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    charlie-chan
    Blaze.. I totally agree with your post. As a fellow Tesco employee, it is frustrating to see the same people come in day after day for reductions. I work on the Counters department and I often get a customer asking me when the chickens are going to be reduced, sometimes as I put the freshly bagged chickens on the grab and go cabinet :S.

It was mad at work yesterday, the reduction cabinet was always surrounded by people buying cheap meat etc. I think the Reduction colleague had to reduce it by 70% then 80% after a certain time because there was so much of it.

I think we have gone a bit off topic now, we were meant to be talking about reduction policies, not about the way Tesco does it reductions.
    Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
    • Yogibear
    • By Yogibear 26th Dec 11, 10:31 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Yogibear
    Merry Christmas
  • studentbargainhunter
    Please let me know:
    Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for?
    M&S (not saying which exactly but one in London)
    What times of day do you reduce prices?
    First reductions some time after 2pm and second reductions usually an hour before the shop closes. We don't always get round to doing second reductions and sometimes not even first reductions - it is all at the manager's discretion and if there are more important jobs to be doing then we do those instead.
    How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate)
    First reduction is usually 50p-1 off (we have a little sheet that tells us but if there are loads of things there we can do it cheaper)
    What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)?
    I think it is one hour before we close.
    Who has the authority to reduce prices?
    The person who is working on that specific section. Cannot reduce any other section.
    If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on its sell-by date are you allowed to?
    No, this is a sackable offence for the employers if their manager finds out. Also if customers bother the people doing the reductions enough then the manager might decide to stop all further reductions for that section.
    Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store?
    Don't know any 24 hour stores, sorry.
    And any other useful tips …
    M&S is not really a store where you can get bargains unless you come in at the exact time the second reductions are happening. Then, all items under 1.50/2 (I think) go down to 10p and most others go down to 50p. But ultimately it is up to the manager and I think each store has a different policy on reductions. Also, if you hover around the person who is doing the reducing it will annoy them, but you will probably get your bargain. If you do this with a manager they can refuse to reduce the item or even refuse your custom from the store.
  • dixie2011

Being a fellow part time supermarket worker i'd say there's no reward in having a salesman's instinct. Especially when the job isn't your career. I work on non-food section. I get nothing from convincing a customer to by a more expensive brand tv over the discounted one 95% of them want from the adverts.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Jun 12, 8:24 AM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,403 Thanks
    JackieO
    The sad reason there are so many pensioners and hard up folk looking for reductions is that often its the only food they can afford to buy I am a pensioner and can live reasonably well on what I have coming in but only buy careful buyingnof my food stores.I would love to splash out on a real treat of maybe aberdeen angus steak but at over 25.00 a kilo its not an option.If I see some meat or fish thats been reduced that I can make a meal out of then i will buy it in oreferance to doing without.I was standing by an old chap who politely asked an assistant in Tescos if there were any reductions in the bread rolls at all (this was around 5 at night) She was so rude to him and snapped back No we don't reduce them if their not sold we put them in the back to go for pigswill.This was said in a fairly loud voice and this old guy coloured up and apolgised for asking .This particular assistant is a supervisor in the store as well and half the store could hear her(its only a small Metro store locally) .I felt so sorry for this old chap I don't suppose he enjoyed asking and she had no reason to make him feel humiliated and small.I have never used this store since as I felt if this was the way customers were treated then they can do without my custom.I left my trolley and walked out in disgust.Lots of people ,especially in todays markets are struggling to make ends meet and rising prices mean that we all have to seek a bit of a bargain if possible so think about that next time you are rubbishing folk who haven't got you job or income coming in One day it could be you !!!
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • Cherries
    The sad reason there are so many pensioners and hard up folk looking for reductions is that often its the only food they can afford to buy I am a pensioner and can live reasonably well on what I have coming in but only buy careful buyingnof my food stores.I would love to splash out on a real treat of maybe aberdeen angus steak but at over 25.00 a kilo its not an option.If I see some meat or fish thats been reduced that I can make a meal out of then i will buy it in oreferance to doing without.I was standing by an old chap who politely asked an assistant in Tescos if there were any reductions in the bread rolls at all (this was around 5 at night) She was so rude to him and snapped back No we don't reduce them if their not sold we put them in the back to go for pigswill.This was said in a fairly loud voice and this old guy coloured up and apolgised for asking .This particular assistant is a supervisor in the store as well and half the store could hear her(its only a small Metro store locally) .I felt so sorry for this old chap I don't suppose he enjoyed asking and she had no reason to make him feel humiliated and small.I have never used this store since as I felt if this was the way customers were treated then they can do without my custom.I left my trolley and walked out in disgust.Lots of people ,especially in todays markets are struggling to make ends meet and rising prices mean that we all have to seek a bit of a bargain if possible so think about that next time you are rubbishing folk who haven't got you job or income coming in One day it could be you !!!
    Originally posted by JackieO

More aimed at your signature, but 100 a monthly for food and you're going to make a big deal out of it? I'm a student, and have 80 a month for food, and a small freezer. Don't buy meat; learn to cook lentils.
  • pleasereduceme99
    Quote;'Be friendly to staff as I'm less likely to go out of my way for someone who is rude (common sense really) but if we tell you we cant do something the chances are we cant, moaning or asking other staff just makes us less likely to help you in the future'

Quote; "Be friendly to staff as I'm less likely to go out of my way for someone who is rude (common sense really) but if we tell you we cant do something the chances are we cant, moaning or asking other staff just makes us less likely to help you in the future`"

Try not to be an idiot, it always helps. Reducing stuff is time consuming and important its done accurately, constantly pestering the person for another 10p off your chicken sandwich ain't gonna make you any friends. If you plan to be a Reductions Regular (every store needs them, they solve what is otherwise a problem ), it would help you enormously if the people you want to look after you don't all cringe when they see you...

Quote; `Oh...and never, ever fight with an other customer over the last pack of chicken legs - It is not big, not clever, pretty undignified and to be fair, the Police laugh at you once they have managed to split you up"

The above statments show that food thats been around for week or more on last legs that should be binned by a mega company is being sold and only if you you smile and act like a begger to staff.
    I am sorry but customers who buy and pay the wages of the staff that are saying these things should be lucky people are buying the reductions.
    I have seen Tesco staff treat people like they are dogs and this is wrong why should a customer who smiles more than an other or has only come once get a reduction. Staff should learn that being in such control over gone off food is not big but being a big head and trying to degrade people. Maybe when your on a pension trying to survive you will be in the reduction section and maybe you will have to smile and beg staff for a reduction.
    The truth is little shops reduce very well and I see mega supermarkets holding onto going off food to get pennies and wast staff time keep coming out and making reductions. Tesco, Morrison and all of them should be ashamed and so should these staff. Act like human beings and not try and play customers like fools and beggers and reduce the same for everyone not the ones who lick shoes to get another 10p off.
    • pennypincher3562
    • By pennypincher3562 14th May 19, 7:09 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    pennypincher3562
    I was in a supermarket today, and saw some 'familiar faces' trailing after staff who were reducing prices and getting them to hand over all the reduced items before they even hit the shelf.

It struck me as a bit greedy, but I'm curious is it not against company policy to hand customers reduced items directly, without even putting them on the shelf?
    Last edited by pennypincher3562; 14-05-2019 at 7:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,251Posts Today

7,988Users online

Martin's Twitter