Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 7:21 PM
    • 35,638Posts
    • 41,791Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 7:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 7:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 76
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 13th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 1,162 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    Cancelled today gave 30 days notice,But then got an email saying phone is 24 a month,Minimum period 12 months i rang up and said i cancelled the lot she said its so i can port my number,Iv'e cancelled the lot a few times and never had this has anyone else had this.
    Originally posted by den169
    Yes, it happened to me. They then failed to terminate my service as expected, which meant another wasted hour on the phone to tell them the error of their ways.
    • a.sadler
    • By a.sadler 20th May 19, 6:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    a.sadler
    Better to move
    I have been with Virgin for years and have got fed up with constant price rises and having to phone to haggle them down again. Last November my broadband only price increased by 2 to 28 and now to 35 i.e. 35% rise since last November. This time when I phoned I was told I would have to pay 35.

I changed provider to the best deal I found through Moneysaving expert and now pay 21 per month. The download speed is 36 meg rather than 50 but the upload speed is 3 times as much as it was.

Good riddance to Virgin media. Now I have left they still insist I pay for another month and I am now plagued with sales calls.

Also the online billing does not work, I have not seen a proper bill since I joined years ago just a message to say I have just joined and the bills are not available yet.
    • BigBlueSky
    • By BigBlueSky 22nd May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    BigBlueSky
    Has anyone been offered any decent retention deals lately ?

I was on Player TV Bundle with 100Mbps Broadband, Player TV, Weekend calls for 37 (was previously 20).

I've been offered Full House @ 60/month or Mix TV Bundle @ 47/month
    • Anon
    • By Anon 23rd May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 13,742 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    Has anyone been offered any decent retention deals lately ?

I was on Player TV Bundle with 100Mbps Broadband, Player TV, Weekend calls for 37 (was previously 20).

I've been offered Full House @ 60/month or Mix TV Bundle @ 47/month
    Originally posted by BigBlueSky
    Have you cancelled? If not, then you don't tend to get offered the best deals.
    • surfboard2
    • By surfboard2 30th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 48,359 Thanks
    surfboard2
    What is the best deal people have got for 100Mbps broadband and weekend calls recently?

I've been with Virgin for one year and they are offering a 'deal' to the equivalent of 30 quid?
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 31st May 19, 6:15 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Hi guys.

I just called them last night and you need to press option 1, 4 then 5 to get through to rentions.

I had the player bundle for 29 per month with 100 broadband thingy.

If I continued on rolling contract I would be paying 51 per month.

They offered me the player for 31 a month. I asked how much I would pay for the next package up and it was the mix and that would be 38 a month. So only an extra 7 a month and you get more channels.

I did do a web chat with upgrades before calling and they were offering the player bundle for 60 a month. Also if I just wanted broadband for 42 a month.

I say I got a good deal then.
    • den169
    • By den169 2nd Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    Hi guys.

I just called them last night and you need to press option 1, 4 then 5 to get through to rentions.

I had the player bundle for 29 per month with 100 broadband thingy.

If I continued on rolling contract I would be paying 51 per month.

They offered me the player for 31 a month. I asked how much I would pay for the next package up and it was the mix and that would be 38 a month. So only an extra 7 a month and you get more channels.

I did do a web chat with upgrades before calling and they were offering the player bundle for 60 a month. Also if I just wanted broadband for 42 a month.

I say I got a good deal then.
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    I'm pretty certain pressing 1 4 5 is not retentions you have to cancel the account for retentions to ring back.I cancelled 2 weeks back mine had gone up to 41 from 36-85 they rang me the day after,i dropped from 200mb to 100mb
    And finished up with 100mb fun mix tv evening weekend calls 35 plus a 50 credit which makes it 30-83 a month so well happy.
    Last edited by den169; 02-06-2019 at 9:27 AM. Reason: added
    • DiseasedBunny
    • By DiseasedBunny 3rd Jun 19, 8:19 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DiseasedBunny
    only ever had the full house bundle, so with the "basic" packages, the fun/mix/whatever they call it, is it basically greyed out throughout, or do they remove the channels from the list? As the former would be a PITA
    • den169
    • By den169 4th Jun 19, 7:16 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    only ever had the full house bundle, so with the "basic" packages, the fun/mix/whatever they call it, is it basically greyed out throughout, or do they remove the channels from the list? As the former would be a PITA
    Originally posted by DiseasedBunny
    Greyed out.
    • hr100
    • By hr100 4th Jun 19, 10:37 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    hr100
    I have cancelled after only being offered standard pricing.

Contract ends in 3 days. Called to ask about equipment and they still aren't budging re price. They want 47 for 20b broadband or 58 for 100m, TV mix and phone line.

So I'm gonna get cut off shortly. Any chance they will call me after being cut off?

If I ask their data dept to remove all my info can I sign up as new customer in 30 days time? I don't have a partner to swap name into.
    • wapow
    • By wapow 5th Jun 19, 7:55 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    wapow
    I have cancelled after only being offered standard pricing.

Contract ends in 3 days. Called to ask about equipment and they still aren't budging re price. They want 47 for 20b broadband or 58 for 100m, TV mix and phone line.

So I'm gonna get cut off shortly. Any chance they will call me after being cut off?

If I ask their data dept to remove all my info can I sign up as new customer in 30 days time? I don't have a partner to swap name into.
    Originally posted by hr100
    Hello

What is the deal you are looking for and what is the price you want to pay? I can offer some advice if i know what it is you want from them.

Also, only 3 days left? Are you sure?
    • Debbiemathis
    • By Debbiemathis 6th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Debbiemathis
    Virgin mobile & media
    Rang virgin today originally to update my phone. However when I pointed out that there were better deals elsewhere for the same phone and package that this lady was offering me she basically said that this is all that is on offer today I should go with them. I informed her that I was a loyal customer of over 25 years with TV, internet and land line and there must be some loyalty bonuses to which she put the phone down on me. I was stunned. So now I am looking for an all inclusive package and will never go back to virgin if this is how they treat people.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Jun 19, 6:24 PM
    • 13,338 Posts
    • 6,092 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Loyal users and savings means no money saving expert .
    Though it has ben noticable last few weeks many ISPs are saying take it or leave .

Inclusive depends upon what you actually want .
    See sticky top of the page .

TV Channels would be your starting point .
    • hr100
    • By hr100 9th Jun 19, 2:11 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    hr100
    Hi

Yes I am now due to be cut off tonight!

Ideally I want 200mb internet with at most basic tv package.

I would prefer to pay less than 50 a month for this.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Jun 19, 2:37 PM
    • 13,338 Posts
    • 6,092 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    So what do you do next ??
    Cut off , lost current phone number .
    Go to another non VM ISP who will not (in most cases ) be able to offer 200mb . OpenReach max at 70-80 meg unless FTTP has arrived .
    • wapow
    • By wapow 10th Jun 19, 3:25 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    wapow
    Hi

Yes I am now due to be cut off tonight!

Ideally I want 200mb internet with at most basic tv package.

I would prefer to pay less than 50 a month for this.
    Originally posted by hr100
    Ring them now go through to retentions and ask them what offers they have for 200bb and basic tv (do you even need basic tv?)
    chances are theyll offer you a price below 50 quid anyway but if not, just say youll think about it and wait....wait...
    • wapow
    • By wapow 10th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    wapow
    Success
    I think i got quite lucky and I'm thankful to the advisor for not putting me through the grinder.

I ended up with 60 Credit and a 12 month contract of 35 per month for Anytime Landline and 100mb BB but the discount can continue to 18 months so i can keep this rolling. No tv.
    • MonkeyD
    • By MonkeyD 11th Jun 19, 12:26 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MonkeyD
    Would like some advice on this if possible.

I am currently with BT, and saw a very good deal on uSwitch for VM (basically 108Mb + Talk Weekends for 27). I am thinking of making the switch, but was wondering:

- Can I change the Talk Weekends to Talk Anytime, I dont mind the additional cost, but whenever I go and click on the uSwitch deal there does not seem to be a way to modify the components. Can I change to Talk Anytime once I am a VM customer?

- Also, should I give BT my cancellation notice first before signing for VM or should I get the deal first and then phone BT to hand my notice?

I have not done a phone switch before hence the confusion.

Many thanks!
    • capstain411
    • By capstain411 11th Jun 19, 9:25 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    capstain411
    I was on big bundle for past 12 months. Price increased to 51 per month. I rarely watch tv on Tivo box have freesat. And did not make single phone call.

Called virgin media to cancel. Was offer fibre broadband 100mb, unlimited download for 20 per month. I think this suffices me, as i have prime and netflix and freesat and occasionally purchase NOW tv...i have another few days to ponder on this deal. Vodafone can offer 30mb for 16, but i think virgin is lot more reliable...
    • youreds
    • By youreds 11th Jun 19, 5:59 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    youreds
    Player bundle due to go to 51 from the new customer 27 offer.
    Was offered it at 42 initially, told them I could go back to any of the providers through my BT line for about 25 a month including phone line (I don't use the landline or Virgin TV box).
    She spent ages typing in what I was telling her before I went to retentions. Straight off the bat offer of 31 a month, which I'm happy with.

Should be interesting in 12 months with FTTP coming in my area & 5G, let's see what Three price the latter up at..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

2,219Users online

Martin's Twitter