Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 8th May 19, 2:43 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 13Thanks
    marmite1979
    Repaying full journey
    • 8th May 19, 2:43 PM
    Repaying full journey 8th May 19 at 2:43 PM
    Should they refund the lot?
    I bought a split ticket, the journey was delayed meaning I missed the final connection and was Taxied home. the train company has only offered to refund the cost of one portion. I thought they were supposed to refund the lot.
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 9th May 19, 3:36 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    London50
    • 9th May 19, 3:36 PM
    • 9th May 19, 3:36 PM
    https://noda.trainsplit.com/static/content/claiming-refunds-on-split-tickets.aspx
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 9th May 19, 9:56 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    marmite1979
    • 9th May 19, 9:56 PM
    • 9th May 19, 9:56 PM
    They keep referring to only one leg even though I have given photographs, have sent them a PDF of the transactions and explained what occurred.
    My whole return train journey was by Virgin Trains the delay meant I missed my TFW service meaning I travelled home by taxi arranged by TFW.
    They agreed to refund only one portion of the split I believe they are eligible for the full fare.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 9th May 19, 10:57 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    harz99
    • 9th May 19, 10:57 PM
    • 9th May 19, 10:57 PM
    I can't see the relevance of that link to the OPs question?

Looks like the train operator is doing what Ryanair and co do for delayed flights, treating the connection as a separately ticketed point to point journey for which they are not responsible. I guess you were lucky that TFW didn't take the same attitude, as the delay to your previous journey wasn't their responsibility

You might be better advised to go on the RailUK forum and ask the questions there.
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 10th May 19, 9:40 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    marmite1979
    • 10th May 19, 9:40 AM
    • 10th May 19, 9:40 AM
    I can't see the relevance of that link to the OPs question?

Looks like the train operator is doing what Ryanair and co do for delayed flights, treating the connection as a separately ticketed point to point journey for which they are not responsible. I guess you were lucky that TFW didn't take the same attitude, as the delay to your previous journey wasn't their responsibility

You might be better advised to go on the RailUK forum and ask the questions there.
    Originally posted by harz99
    He's posted a relevant explanation on refunds to split ticket.
    And lucky?? Why?? It's VT that got lucky as I could of changed at the original station and have made them fork out for an even dearer taxi, I could have bought an A-B ticket and have a bigger compensation claim.
    VT were responsible for me missing my final connection at each point trains could have connected, I was unable to complete the journey by train, the guard arranged the taxis by phoning the station ahead to book them(They actually hailed them outside) and advised all passengers to claim.
    I don't use RailUk as the threads all end being ruined with Trainspotters arguing the toss over minor details that are irrelevant. I hope this place isn't likewise.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 10th May 19, 8:25 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    harz99
    • 10th May 19, 8:25 PM
    • 10th May 19, 8:25 PM
    He's posted a relevant explanation on refunds to split ticket.
    And lucky?? Why?? It's VT that got lucky as I could of changed at the original station and have made them fork out for an even dearer taxi, I could have bought an A-B ticket and have a bigger compensation claim.
    VT were responsible for me missing my final connection at each point trains could have connected, I was unable to complete the journey by train, the guard arranged the taxis by phoning the station ahead to book them(They actually hailed them outside) and advised all passengers to claim.
    I don't use RailUk as the threads all end being ruined with Trainspotters arguing the toss over minor details that are irrelevant. I hope this place isn't likewise.
    Originally posted by marmite1979
    Your choice, but you'll get far better advice there than on here.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th May 19, 4:33 AM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th May 19, 4:33 AM
    • 11th May 19, 4:33 AM
    Did they pay for the taxi? Presumably they did if you were "taxied home", and you want a refund as well. Sorry if I've misunderstood.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 11th May 19, 8:34 AM
    • 8,380 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 11th May 19, 8:34 AM
    • 11th May 19, 8:34 AM
    Did they pay for the taxi? Presumably they did if you were "taxied home", and you want a refund as well. Sorry if I've misunderstood.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    The OP is merely getting what they are entitled to.

I have done similar. Taxi home and refund, which was very welcome as it was two first class tickets.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th May 19, 5:17 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th May 19, 5:17 PM
    • 11th May 19, 5:17 PM
    The OP is merely getting what they are entitled to.

I have done similar. Taxi home and refund, which was very welcome as it was two first class tickets.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    And people complain about the cost of train tickets. There's "entitled" and just not being satisfied with a solution which, on the face of it, sounds pretty good.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 11th May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 8,380 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    daveyjp
    And people complain about the cost of train tickets. There's "entitled" and just not being satisfied with a solution which, on the face of it, sounds pretty good.
    50 for a first class single is very good value.

Passengers don't make the rules.

I claimed for what I was entitled to after a change of London terminal, a change of route and a change of operator meaning a poorer first class service than I paid for and an arrival 3 hours later than it should have been.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 11-05-2019 at 8:13 PM.
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 12th May 19, 12:47 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    marmite1979
    I can guarantee you the TOCS will be getting there full whack out of the incidents and will be profiteering out of it as many passengers will not bother claiming.
    If they don't like the rules of the game they either shouldn't make ones that allows me to claim for the delay, or they need to start running a Train Company that doesn't give me cause to claim
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 12th May 19, 4:24 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    marmite1979
    I paid for a train, if I wanted to go by car I'd have driven.

Train Companies in the UK get off pretty lightly when not providing a service you've paid for. A lot do not refund a penny if you are less than 30 mins late, only give a full refund if you are delayed by 60 mins and then make it a right ball ache for you to claim.

If you paid 60 for a meal and you were made to stand next to a smelly toilet to eat it when it turned up cold and inedible would you expect to pay full price or a % of it depending on when it turned up?

Comfort and a seat on a train is often a privilege, you won't get refunded for not getting one.
    Poor trains are the norm, services are adequate and prices are extortionate. They even charge 10 for the privilege of paying you back!!!
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 13th May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    marmite1979
    After a ''Live Chat'' they've agreed to payback the full fare
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 28th May 19, 9:22 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    yorkie2
    Should they refund the lot?
    I bought a split ticket, the journey was delayed meaning I missed the final connection and was Taxied home. the train company has only offered to refund the cost of one portion. I thought they were supposed to refund the lot.
    Originally posted by marmite1979
    If your journey is delayed by an hour or more, then Delay Repay compensation (where applicable) means you are entitled to 100% compensation, based on the cost of your journey.

The National Rail Conditions of Travel entitle you to use a combination of two or more tickets for one journey.

Therefore, you are absolutely right. I am glad to see from your most recent post that the company did relent, and did the right thing in the end.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,226Users online

Martin's Twitter