Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diggle
    • By diggle 23rd Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 85Thanks
    diggle
    Service Monkey {text removed by MSE Forum Team}?
    • 23rd Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    Service Monkey {text removed by MSE Forum Team}? 23rd Jul 18 at 11:48 AM
    So well aware made serious error here {text removed by MSE Forum Team}
    Had a phone call re washer warranty up for renewal quoted £199 for 5 yrs . Must admit did seem uneasy should have gone with my gut instinct but paid with my card .
    On receiving paperwork decided to use my 14 day cooling off period and sent by signed for delivery back to address ., having been told via phone call would receive full refund within 10 days .
    Well no surprises no cheque and phoneline I had kept dead .
    Guessing thatís me lost £199 !!!128542; so just wanted to put it out there to warn others .
    Have full address. Of company and phone number turns out itís just an office you can hire . ,
    Lesson Learnt .
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-10-2018 at 9:01 AM.
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 23rd Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 23rd Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    If it was a credit or debit card get onto your credit card provider/bank, they should be able to help get your money back.
    • diggle
    • By diggle 23rd Jul 18, 1:07 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    diggle
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:07 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:07 PM
    Thanks can I do that if it!!!8217;s debit card thought it was just credit card . ?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 23rd Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 7,166 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    With a debit card you can initiate a chargeback - a voluntary scheme offered by Visa (and Mastercard?). The other party can challenge a chargeback, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

A credit card would give the option of a Section 75 claim which has a legal basis, which makes the credit provider jointly liable with the supplier for the fulfilment of the contract.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • diggle
    • By diggle 23rd Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    diggle
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    Thank you so much will get in touch with bank and see what they can do
    • diggle
    • By diggle 23rd Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    diggle
    • 23rd Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    Thank you so much again I have contacted bank and they are persuing this for me . Will let you know outcome .
    • FFS
    • By FFS 16th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FFS
    • 16th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    Outcome..
    • 16th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    Did you manage to get a full refund through charge back?
    I am going through the same issue with this dreadful company.
    • Andy97
    • By Andy97 15th Dec 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andy97
    • 15th Dec 18, 2:56 PM
    • 15th Dec 18, 2:56 PM
    Hi this compey did same to my wife yesterday ref a tv took 200 from card
    But
    1 for a t v we not have at all
    2 told 14 cool off time but will charge for that
    3 call and say miss yes but that wonted j and my wife is n
    4 but miss j lives not at are address

Call card compey see where we go from there
    Andy
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th Dec 18, 4:17 PM
    • 17,342 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 15th Dec 18, 4:17 PM
    • 15th Dec 18, 4:17 PM
    But

Andy
    Originally posted by Andy97
    How did she agree to this if you don't have the tv?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Dec 18, 6:00 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,834 Thanks
    agrinnall
    But

Andy
    Originally posted by Andy97

And how did Miss J have your/your wife's card number? We certainly don't have the full story from you.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th Dec 18, 8:15 PM
    • 17,342 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    hollydays
    And was it miss plum in the Library?
    • Toni9395
    • By Toni9395 6th Feb 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Toni9395
    I too have had my mother been taken for a ride by this company, despite, sending them, power of attorney, telling them of her lack of mental capability, with dementia, the promise of a refund of £199. I am still waiting and don't hold out much hope, the also sent her further mail, begging her not to leave dispite me asking for them to have no further contact, as it distresses her. And funny how they take your debit card and are supposed to refund by cheque. Horrible company just full of excuses.
    • psandbergnz
    • By psandbergnz 19th Feb 19, 12:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    psandbergnz
    Service Monkey
    I also had a problem with this company. Service Monkey. They tried to withdraw money (total of £439) from my bank account, using the details of my Debit card, but WITHOUT my authorisation.

I am very happy that my bank declined their attempt to defraud me, and I got the evidence for Serice Monkey's failed attempts (two). My bank advised me to cancel my Debit Card, which I did, to prevent their employees from re-using my Card details, in case they try to. Following my complaint, Service Monkey's Customer manager, {Edited by Forum Team}, told me that she is investigating the matter, but I will not let this serious breach of professional ethics be swept under the carpet. I will probablu inform Trading Standards UK in the hope that their intervention would be in the public interest.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 20-02-2019 at 8:58 AM. Reason: {Edited by Forum Team}
    • Elimatt
    • By Elimatt 13th May 19, 5:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elimatt
    Fraud
    Today we had this company call us, then tried to take money from our account but failed
    • Bizzybrig
    • By Bizzybrig 22nd May 19, 4:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bizzybrig
    Hi,

New to the forum, but just had a really disturbing experience with a Service Monkey employee that echoes what's been posted.

I received a call this afternoon, asking for my husband (who was not available). I was then told that he'd taken out a policy for our washing machine, and that the payment was overdue. I knew that he had asked for a quote, but we never agreed to a plan, because I remember it was extraordinarily expensive.

The phone representative insisted that he'd taken out a policy, provided card details (which they claimed were incorrect) and that the payment was overdue. They also said they had sent letters asking for payment - which I confirmed we had never received.

I asked if there was any evidence of a contract being signed, and asked them to email a copy of the contract to both of us. The rep said they didn't have email address on file, and that it was a verbal agreement & all their calls were recorded. I asked for a copy of the recording, and after quite a while on hold, I was told they could not provide this.

I then asked what details they had on file, other than our home telephone number. The home address the rep gave was not ours, and I conveyed this. At this point, the rep was insistent that I provide our address and updated card details, as the ones on file were out of date and declined. I of course refused, stating that I'd be happy to review the terms of any agreement, if they could provide proof that one existed. At this point they stated they were terminating the call.

The person was pushy and insistent, and it really bothers me as they were trying to be quite bullish and convincing - even though they couldn't provide proof of anything & even had incorrect details for us. If a vulnerable person was put in this situation, I could easily see it turning out differently - so please be aware and vigilant with your personal data.
    • G.Kor
    • By G.Kor 18th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    G.Kor
    More people affected
    Good Afternoon. My father has been scammed by this company for £199.00 Service contract for TV. He has dementia. They have taken money from a Barclaycard. Service Monkey tell me this has never happened before. I see that it has.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has been scammed by this Company as I believe we must prevent them from continuing. Please help. They refuse to refund as they say we are out of time however we have not received contract.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 18th Jun 19, 3:45 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Good Afternoon. My father has been scammed by this company for £199.00 Service contract for TV. He has dementia. They have taken money from a Barclaycard. Service Monkey tell me this has never happened before. I see that it has.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has been scammed by this Company as I believe we must prevent them from continuing. Please help. They refuse to refund as they say we are out of time however we have not received contract.
    Originally posted by G.Kor
    Contact your bank - if you used a credit card or debit card they should be able to help you get your money back.
    • G.Kor
    • By G.Kor 18th Jun 19, 6:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    G.Kor
    Service Monkey
    Thank you for the reply. I have reported this Company to Action Fraud, Trading Standards, Police and Companies House. I have initiated a section 75 and so it would seem that Barclaycard will pay the price. My aim is to stop this Company defrauding elderly and vulnerable people. I will not cease in this aim. They use diversionary tactics to put you off the claim and when telephoning then this evening , apparently their emergency number only operates between the hours of nine and six. Let us all hope no one needs help outside these hours.
    • G.Kor
    • By G.Kor 19th Jun 19, 6:04 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    G.Kor
    help needed
    Further to this thread re Service Monkey taking money without consent, I have reported them to Trading Standards and Action Fraud who are investigating. Please record your experience with them, it is easy and they must be stopped. You can do it online or phone 03001232040. The more evidence the more likely we can prevent them conning anyone else. Thank you.
    • G.Kor
    • By G.Kor 19th Jun 19, 6:08 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    G.Kor
    More evidence
    Please report this to Action Fraud. You can do this online it is easy. you can telephone 0300 1232040 they have taken it up. I have also informed Trading Standards who are investigating. We need to act to stop them. Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,761Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin