Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darklight2
    • By darklight2 11th May 19, 12:52 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    darklight2
    Subscribing to Sky for a couple of months
    • 11th May 19, 12:52 PM
    Subscribing to Sky for a couple of months 11th May 19 at 12:52 PM
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to take out Sky for just a couple of months during the summer. We're former subscribers but haven't had it for a few years. We still have an old Sky plus box and can buy a used Sky HD box if needed. We don't want to take a 12 month contract.

Thanks

Sam
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th May 19, 1:00 PM
    • 10,277 Posts
    • 15,961 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 11th May 19, 1:00 PM
    • 11th May 19, 1:00 PM
    Now TV could be your answer.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • darklight2
    • By darklight2 11th May 19, 1:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darklight2
    • 11th May 19, 1:02 PM
    • 11th May 19, 1:02 PM
    Now TV could be your answer.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Now TV and don't really fancy it. I'm looking to get it for live sport and there's usually a big lag with streaming.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 11th May 19, 1:52 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 11th May 19, 1:52 PM
    • 11th May 19, 1:52 PM
    I don't think you can. Sky themselves advocate Now tv for those wanting short term access.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 9,697 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 11th May 19, 6:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Now TV and don't really fancy it. I'm looking to get it for live sport and there's usually a big lag with streaming.
    Originally posted by darklight2
    That kind of depends on what your broadband is like. I've never had any problems with Now TV. It is the only way you'll get Sky Sports for a couple of months.
    • darklight2
    • By darklight2 12th May 19, 4:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darklight2
    • 12th May 19, 4:56 PM
    • 12th May 19, 4:56 PM
    That kind of depends on what your broadband is like. I've never had any problems with Now TV. It is the only way you'll get Sky Sports for a couple of months.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Thanks for the reply. The quality is good on Now TV but if you compare it to live events it's at least 1 minute behind what's actually happening. The lag is much less on satellite tv.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th May 19, 9:04 PM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 9,697 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th May 19, 9:04 PM
    • 12th May 19, 9:04 PM
    Thanks for the reply. The quality is good on Now TV but if you compare it to live events it's at least 1 minute behind what's actually happening. The lag is much less on satellite tv.
    Does that matter?
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 13th May 19, 4:40 AM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 13th May 19, 4:40 AM
    • 13th May 19, 4:40 AM
    Does that matter?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    No,if you are watching it alone.

But there is nothing more annoying than watching a football match and the goalkeeper is just about to take a goal kick when somebody with a mobile phone tells you the team you hate most has just scored
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th May 19, 8:19 AM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 9,697 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th May 19, 8:19 AM
    • 13th May 19, 8:19 AM
    No,if you are watching it alone.

But there is nothing more annoying than watching a football match and the goalkeeper is just about to take a goal kick when somebody with a mobile phone tells you the team you hate most has just scored
    Originally posted by Terry98
    I've just checked and it's only around 30 secs, not real big deal and certainly not a reason not to get Now TV if that's your only option for short-term Sky.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th May 19, 8:26 AM
    • 34,437 Posts
    • 21,783 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to take out Sky for just a couple of months during the summer. We're former subscribers but haven't had it for a few years. We still have an old Sky plus box and can buy a used Sky HD box if needed. We don't want to take a 12 month contract.

Thanks

Sam
    In essence no unless your willing to pay the hefty fees to cancel the contract after a few months.

Now TV is your answer.
    • rabialiones
    • By rabialiones 13th May 19, 10:59 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    rabialiones
    which is best now stick or now box

any recommendations please
    Nice to save.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th May 19, 12:06 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    which is best now stick or now box

any recommendations please
    Originally posted by rabialiones

Stick is Wi-Fi only. But can pause for upto 30 minutes.

Boxes have Ethernet and Wi-Fi, Later (larger) FV (blue box graphics) and 4K (pink box graphics) boxes can also pause.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 13-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    • rabialiones
    • By rabialiones 13th May 19, 5:14 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    rabialiones
    so, is it better just to take out sky subscription???????
    to avoid any distress to my dear oh, who lacks patience , but loves cricket
    Nice to save.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 24th May 19, 7:10 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Now TV sports is about 33 a month. Look out for Now TV boxes with free passes, although not often seen with sports. The value of the passes is usually more than the cost of the box. If you haven't had it before, try their free trial. Usually, if you subscribe for a month, then go to cancel, they'll offer you a deal to extend.
    I've had Now TV for years, and vary as to which packages I'm paying for. Currently just sports on a 9 month pass that cost 180. Had entertainment, just for GoT, but now cancelled as I have most channels on Virgin (just not Sky Atlantic). I've had no issue with streaming live sport, but I do have an excellent BB speed. I got it for the F1 and can watch the race no problem. The quality for me is better than standard def on my TV ,but not as good as HD. Much cheaper than the usual price for proper Sky TV, and is normally a rolling monthly deal so easy to stop when not needed.
    Never had a sky dish/box but that may be cheaper if you can't get a good deal.
    • rabialiones
    • By rabialiones 24th May 19, 2:57 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    rabialiones
    Now TV sports is about 33 a month. Look out for Now TV boxes with free passes, although not often seen with sports. The value of the passes is usually more than the cost of the box. If you haven't had it before, try their free trial. Usually, if you subscribe for a month, then go to cancel, they'll offer you a deal to extend.
    I've had Now TV for years, and vary as to which packages I'm paying for. Currently just sports on a 9 month pass that cost 180. Had entertainment, just for GoT, but now cancelled as I have most channels on Virgin (just not Sky Atlantic). I've had no issue with streaming live sport, but I do have an excellent BB speed. I got it for the F1 and can watch the race no problem. The quality for me is better than standard def on my TV ,but not as good as HD. Much cheaper than the usual price for proper Sky TV, and is normally a rolling monthly deal so easy to stop when not needed.
    Never had a sky dish/box but that may be cheaper if you can't get a good deal.
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474

hi, do you view thru the app or do you have a box/stick
    Nice to save.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

3,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin