PS4, Xbox or wait for Stadia?

I'm not a huge gamer but do like to play once in a while. I've been thinking about upgrading from my PS3, with the recent news about Google Stadia I'm wondering what people thoughts on it are compared to current console for the casual gamer?

Comments

• dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As someone who has never been a fan of game streaming (bad compression, input lag etc), I'd say go for an actual dedicated console.
  • icomp
    icomp Posts: 16 Forumite
    I sort of agree, but I really am more on the casual side, probably play games once or twice a week, I should have mentioned I prefer slower paced games so the latency might not be an issue although adventure type games I think I'd rather play on the PC, like The Witcher series. I think I'd like a console for racing car games or retro arcade style games, not the very fast first person games.
  • dan958
    icomp wrote: »
    I think I'd rather play on the PC.

Do you already have a PC? If you do and are just looking for a more casual 'sit on the sofa' style, then you can try streaming your PC games to your TV - it is something I do every now and again.

Stadia is definitely much too early for us to give any insight on.
  • icomp
    icomp Posts: 16 Forumite
    dan958 wrote: »
    Do you already have a PC? If you do and are just looking for a more casual 'sit on the sofa' style, then you can try streaming your PC games to your TV - it is something I do every now and again.

Stadia is definitely much too early for us to give any insight on.

What do you stream with? I tried a raspberry pi with steamlink, wired but it blanked out every now and then.
  • dan958
    icomp wrote: »
    What do you stream with? I tried a raspberry pi with steamlink, wired but it blanked out every now and then.

I used the Steam Link. Discontinued now, but the app is avaible on Android. Your network will need to be decent speed though.

I wouldn't play game that requires a fast reaction (such as FPS games), but it was great for those controller type games.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    for any new format always wait until its an established success. For now i would go with ps4, especially if you have been happy with your ps3.
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd go for the console myself.. More money upfront but u can buy used games if your on a budget which are cheaper from places like CEX/ebay etc

And at least you can keep them or sell them on. With streaming like psnow, the upcoming xcloud from microsoft or stadia from google, games are often removed so you might lose access to them if say your half way through a game.

And by going the console route, you wont get no input lag if your net decides to play up or get choppy
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My current broadband won't cope, so for me it will be cheaper for me to buy a PS4 than a years Stadia.

As for Google Stadia minimum speed requirements, they are:

10 megabits per second: 720p, 60 fps, stereo sound
    20 megabits per second: 1080p, 60 fps, HDR, 5.1 surround sound
    35 megabits per second: 4K, 60 fps, HDR, 5.1 surround sound
  • yeslek
    yeslek Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2019 at 2:22PM
    get a console now - there are lots of offers and xbox's are dropping in price all the time(as PS4 is the popular and more stable choice) so you could pick up a cheap, new XB1S for around £150 with games(I got mine at £179 2 years ago, with what was then a 3 week old vanilla Destiny 2 disc and Minecraft)

dont wait for stadia
  • Go X1 or PS4.

As a Xbox One owner I'd say go for PS4, its got much better exclusives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure