Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion
    • 10th Dec 18, 9:33 AM
    PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion 10th Dec 18 at 9:33 AM
    What do you think is the best type of gaming? Do you prefer PC gaming or Console gaming?

Here's the things to focus on

Do you agree that mouse control is better with pc gaming when it comes to first person shooters, think of how the mouse controls the gun so much better than a console controler

Then there's the entire genre of (MMORPG Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games where you need the keyboard controls to cast spells and to interact with the gameworld that I don't think consoles will ever be able to match

Then there's always going to be the overall graphics quality is going to be much higher on a computer
Page 5
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 21st Mar 19, 4:39 PM
    • 19,325 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    motorguy
    I choose PC over a gaming console because I can use my PC for drawing and editing (Photoshop/ClipStudio), making documents (MS Office), and streaming series and movies than a gaming console that is purely for gaming.
    Originally posted by robertclyne
    But the price you'd have paid for a full on gaming PC compared to a current gen console + standard desktop PC surely makes that a moot point?

Unless you're a graphics designer....
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • dan958
    • By dan958 25th Mar 19, 11:30 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    dan958
    And yes, there are many valid reasons for preferring PC gaming to console, however "because not knowing if my console will play a previous console game is a problem i dont want to have to deal with" is a new one on me....
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Backwards compatability has always been a massive complaint for people when it comes to consoles. If this is the first time you have heard about it, you are living under a rock.

A great example of this is that they have just announced they are working on Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2. I felt like playing the original again, a game from 2004. I was able to quickly install and play this. Whereas on consoles (I know that this game is not out on console, it is just an example) you have to either keep all your old consoles, or you just have to hope that the game you want to play has been made backwards compatible on a new console, or re-released.

I enjoy playing older video games, so this is a big plus for me. If you only play things from the latest generation then I can see why you wouldn't care about this feature - but this thread is asking for my opinion on PC vs console.
    Last edited by dan958; 25-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    • James1236
    • By James1236 26th Mar 19, 2:25 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    James1236
    In my opinion...
    I personally find that every time I've tried to pick up PC gaming, getting used to mouse and keyboard is very overwhelming. Controllers minimise the controls to everything functionally required, and while you can't be as accurate with aiming like in an FPS, I much prefer movement with a controller. If you're that bothered about specs and feel the need to spend thousands on a PC to run pretty much every game possible, you can just get best of both worlds and link a controller to a PC. There is plenty of ways to map a controller for PC use, and that way you can enjoy either high-spec. or modded games while getting the controller side of console.

However, to play high spec games, you have to spend a lot more on a PC than you would on a console, which is dedicated to getting the best out of your gaming experience for the most affordable price. For example, the Xbox One X can easily provide a 4k experience, or sacrifice some of the picture quality to increase the Frames Per Second to 60fps. In my opinion this is not that bad of a sacrifice, since to me, while the difference between 1080p and 4k is noticeable, it is not that crucial to have a game constantly running 60fps to get the best gaming experience. Take Red Dead Redemption 2 for example. This game focuses heavily on visuals and story-telling, sometimes playing more like a movie than a video game. Movies play at 24fps, so running a AAA title at 4k 30fps would still provide a quality gaming experience.

Overall, for customisation, PC always wins. But a console shouldn't be automatically be deemed 'inferior' just because it can't achieve 120fps, or 60fps with 4k. It will still give you the best, most consistent gaming experience for a fraction of the price of a PC build.
    • sarwan32140
    • By sarwan32140 28th Mar 19, 2:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarwan32140
    Pc gaming is good
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 1st Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    joeypesci
    Hi Bigphil

You don't need to fiddle around with upgrades with a console. They just work.

Here is a good question. Has anybody ever played minecraft on both console and computer and does anybody have a preference?

Same question with regards to Call of duty? Any difference between console COD and PC COD?
    Originally posted by paranoidandroid31978

Played Minecraft on PC and Switch. Much better on the PC. Easier to control and more features.
    • William1ne
    • By William1ne 5th Apr 19, 1:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    William1ne
    PC and console different things why compare them?
    • Browniez
    • By Browniez 22nd Apr 19, 9:33 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Browniez
    PC and console different things why compare them?
    Originally posted by William1ne
    Well, because PC is considered by many a synonym of a game platform same as consoles.
    However, PC has mods, and consoles do not. Take Garry's mod, for example, it's a huge sandbox which hugely relies on modding, which is not possible on consoles. Check for yourself, here's the link - https://garrysmodsandbox.com/.
    I was a hardcore PC gamer as a teenager, I was playing classic RPGs like Baldurs Gate 2 and strategies like Age of Empires 3, but when I got older I couldn't afford to play a lot. Now it's just easier to buy a console which allows you to play a game right out of the box.
    • smartmartin
    • By smartmartin 26th Apr 19, 11:45 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    smartmartin
    Many good games are only available in consoles.
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 27th Apr 19, 7:15 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    duggan1
    Many good games are only available in consoles.
    Originally posted by smartmartin
    Same can be said for PCs. Consoles are getting some grand strategy now. Stellaris is out on consoles, wonder if it grinds in late game.
    • Billy101
    • By Billy101 6th May 19, 12:16 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Billy101
    Hey.. I game on both. I have a PS4 pro and a good custom rig for gaming. I enjoy FPS games more on PC and I play sony's exclusives on console like GOD of war series, Uncharted series and other games. Right now I am waitin for Days gone.

Btw, did anyone play anthem? I tried it on beta testing and the game was full of bugs and glitches.
    • Bknd
    • By Bknd 20th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bknd
    As for me, I would definitely choose console!
    • rybennet
    • By rybennet 19th Jun 19, 4:03 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rybennet
    I would always choose a console over a gaming PC.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 24th Jun 19, 7:27 PM
    • 3,111 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    What about the new streaming services coming from the likes of say Google? Doesn't this make the argument for console or PC mute?
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 25th Jun 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I've never been as undecided for quite a number now of years.
    New Ryzens+GPU's
    Even Nvidia announcing what could be affordable 1650's
    And I can only decide if I go p.c. 2019 or one or two new consoles 2020.
    Honestly think Microsoft console could be fun next year.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2019-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -252 Uk pounds
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 25th Jun 19, 6:10 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Dandytf
    What about the new streaming services coming from the likes of say Google? Doesn't this make the argument for console or PC mute?
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    Not necessarily
    I know the Microsoft one supports their new console rather than threaten it.
    Both streaming service look interesting though.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2019-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -252 Uk pounds
    • EllyKing
    • By EllyKing 27th Jun 19, 6:33 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EllyKing
    Console Gaming
    I prefer gba classic DIGI RETROBOY console games
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 30th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 19,325 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    motorguy
    I prefer gba classic DIGI RETROBOY console games
    Originally posted by EllyKing
    I had a quick look around there and Amazon seems to be the only outlet @ 79.99 which seems pricey.

Have you any recommendations as to where to get it cheaper?
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • jameskotler
    • By jameskotler 8th Aug 19, 1:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jameskotler
    I would say PC gaming as I feel more comfortable in it. I have PS4 but I still don't remember when I last played it. lol
    • mrgrtt123
    • By mrgrtt123 9th Aug 19, 12:52 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mrgrtt123
    I have bought but I prefer playing using my personal computer.
    • talzub
    • By talzub 9th Aug 19, 11:28 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    talzub
    You have made a valid point regarding the mouse and graphics. Thing is there is a niche for both the gaming methods. If you consider 90s games, the only charm was the PC games which brought life in gamers. No matter what chair you had, uncomfortable or not you'd sit there for hours without blinking your eye. Your mouse would die in some time and your control over the keyboard and mouse was phenomenal.

Now if you look back, gaming consoles have taken over and its staying for a while. I prefer PC gaming because I feel more dominating on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,660Users online

Martin's Twitter