Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andygb
    • By andygb 31st May 18, 3:08 PM
    • 13,039Posts
    • 29,418Thanks
    andygb
    Bus pass eligibility
    • 31st May 18, 3:08 PM
    Bus pass eligibility 31st May 18 at 3:08 PM
    There I was talking to a mate, him taking the mickey out of me because I will reach the big six zero this year, and the subject got to bus passes, with him telling me not to forget to put in for one.
    I wasn't that bothered because I walk most places, but then again it could come in useful.
    So, I looked into it and found that if I lived in London, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, I could indeed apply for my bus pass this year.
    However, as someone born in England, it turns out I have to wait another seven years.
    What the heck is going on?
Page 2
    • CheeryDays
    • By CheeryDays 27th Dec 18, 6:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CheeryDays
    The TFL map of under shows underground to shenfield unless I am misreading it ?
    Originally posted by moremore
    Your misreading it. But to be honest TfL make it far more complicated than it needs to be.
    They call it the 'Tube Map', but there is more on it than just the tube.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 30th Dec 18, 1:31 AM
    • 6,078 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I have a companion bus pass but only got that when I was awarded enhanced PIP, both care and mobility. What criteria you have to meet to get them varies from borough to borough. I can travel on buses outside my local area but obviously only between 9.30am until 11.30 at night weekdays (free travel all weekend). As I go into London for hospital appts, I paid 20 for a disabled train card that allows me to take a companion and myself with 1/3 off the fare.

These passes help so much.

I don't think the passes will help with a 6.30 am start.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 30th Dec 18, 5:31 AM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 3,691 Thanks
    _shel
    I cant wait until I get to 60 when I qualify for a Merseyside concessionary pass (NOT a Pensioners card) and can commute to work (as I get a train before 6.30am) and save myself , at today`s prices 1341 pa).
    Thats very MSE isnt it ?
    Originally posted by antonic
    Merseyside pass is for off peak. 9.30am start https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/tickets/concessions/pages/60+.aspx
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 30th Dec 18, 3:50 PM
    • 15,373 Posts
    • 18,014 Thanks
    KeithP
    Merseyside pass is for off peak. 9.30am start https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/tickets/concessions/pages/60+.aspx
    Originally posted by _shel
    But on page 7 of MerseyTravel's Travel Passes for Older People booklet, which is linked from that webpage you mention, it says:
    When can I use my Merseytravel Local Travel Pass?

• All day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays.
    • Any time Monday to Friday, except for journeys which start between 6.31am and 9.29am.
    Last edited by KeithP; 30-12-2018 at 3:57 PM.
    • moremore
    • By moremore 1st May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    moremore
    Your misreading it. But to be honest TfL make it far more complicated than it needs to be.
    They call it the 'Tube Map', but there is more on it than just the tube.
    Originally posted by CheeryDays
    On train from london liverpool street you can travel to Shenfield on freedom pass I have used it.. But must be Tfl train..
    • GibbsRule No3
    • By GibbsRule No3 3rd May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    GibbsRule No3
    " Any time Monday to Friday, except for journeys which start between 6.31am and 9.29am."

I remember when London buses had restricted times. OAPs waiting at bus stops 9.28 and asking "am I too early?" bus drivers nicknamed them "twearlys".

60+ in London has saved me a small fortune on train, DLR, bus and tube. I think there is a reduced fare on some boats on the Thames as well.
    Paddle No 21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin