Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jun 18, 8:08 AM
    • 17,112Posts
    • 283,824Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Saving for my first bricks and mortar...
    • 1st Jun 18, 8:08 AM
    Saving for my first bricks and mortar... 1st Jun 18 at 8:08 AM
    Hi everyone!

I've been having a little read of other people's stories on here so thought I'd start my own, hoping it'll keep me on track

About me. I'm early 40's and have been renting forever. We have been very lucky with the landlord and not had a rent increase for 10 years, until now. He wanted to increase our rent by half again I worked out how much rent we'd paid to him over the years and was , and I realised that I could be paying that on my own house. That's how I ended up here!

I earn below the national average and live in one of the most expensive cities outside of London for house prices. I'm able to put away between 200-250 a month at the mo but that should change in my favour in the next month or so, to put more away. I've a HTB ISA and "high" interest saving account and a pot at home for odd coins.

I've a very long way to go on this so thought that keeping a diary here might help keep me focused when I find it difficult
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 5
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Jan 19, 3:42 PM
    • 14,214 Posts
    • 47,674 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for maxing out savings and also receiving the money from the account set up when you were a child. Hurrah.

Well done on extra money too.
    Christmas Fund 248 No spend month?
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Jan 19, 3:44 PM
    • 14,214 Posts
    • 47,674 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm also trying to save for my first place. I'm late 30's, single, living in Surrey with an average paid job. I've got 74,000 saved so far for my deposit (50k inheritage and 24k saved by myself) You'd think that would be enough but still not quite to be able to get a decent One Bed flat in an area decent enough for a single female. I'm moving a bit further out & further away from work to be able to afford something and I'm currently working 3 jobs. I hope to be able to get there this year. A few times I've thought I've been close and then house prices have increased, then last year when I was gonna try to start seriously looking we had big changes at work and I was worried about redundancy so I put it on the back burner and you guessed it, prices increased again. I wasn't techicallly made redundant but did have to move to another job in the same company and it was all up in the air. Hoping to be settled soon and try again seriously.
    Will still need to borrow money from parents for a bit of furniture but fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by Summer69
    Omg your savings are amazing. Maybe Brexit will result in house price falls? Either way with 3 jobs you will succeed I am sure. Good luck Summer69
    • Summer69
    • By Summer69 7th Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Summer69
    Omg your savings are amazing. Maybe Brexit will result in house price falls? Either way with 3 jobs you will succeed I am sure. Good luck Summer69
    Originally posted by savingwannabe
    Thank you so much! Inheritage is obviously a big help but the rest I've saved on my own since January 2014. Very pleased with it. Just hoping I'll have something to show for it before the end of the year
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 8th Jan 19, 2:12 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Yeay on maxing out your savings pot already this month Dizzy! And well done for having a plan and a budget for the birthdays - those are the sorts of things that tend to sneak up on me and blow the budget!!

Summer - 74k That's incredible! But I know how you feel - I also live in the SE with crazy house prices and despite saving up a decent deposit (not nearly as decent as yours though) would still not have been able to buy if I'd been single. Have you considered part ownership? I know they've got a bad rep but I know a couple of singletons who've gone down that route (and it's way better than shacking up with an undesirable and buying together!!). That might put you in a position to be able to buy in a better area? Prices do seem to have stabilised, or even decreasing slightly, round my way though I'm sure that's probably only temporary......
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 8174 / 6,000 (4671 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 7483 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 21,357 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 469 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 10/10/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jun 2052
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Feb 19, 2:24 PM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    This months update - another 450 put away, the maximum my accounts will take

This month will be somewhat expensive as I have several birthdays and an impromptu oven purchase for my parents but that was too much of a bargain to not take - it's a range oven which still sells at around 950 which I got for 100 it'll cost me to get it picked up and I need to replace either the glass or actual door on one of the ovens but that will only be around 100 ish so it's still a huge bargain

We did talk about having a holiday this year but when we looked, the prices of where we wanted to go were obscene so we decided against it for now. We will have "smaller" things to look forward to this year instead. I have Pink in June and I bought him rugby tickets for his birthday so there's that to look forward to as well
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 5th Mar 19, 1:21 PM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Hello March!

I'm a bit late with this months update but I have broken 4,000

A teeny weeny third world problem that I've had to open a THIRD savings account because even with putting the max 450 into my ISA and saving account, I am finding that I still have enough leftover to put some more away third world problem but it's a nice one to have

I'm really starting to notice the difference that the overtime in work has been making! Averaging 4-5 hours a week, more if it's my parking week. Plus it's my birthday this month so any money I get for my birthday can be put away too

• pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 8th Mar 19, 7:01 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Yeeeeeeaaaaay!! Being *forced* to open another savings account is an awesome "problem" to have - congratulations!! I literally move pennies around sometimes simply to avoid those little leftovers disappearing somewhere other than savings/mortgage overpayments.

Amazing news on the overtime too, every little bit really does add up and surprisingly quickly once the ball starts rolling

Happy birthday, do make sure you have a good one and spend some of the money on something nice/fun for you rather than saving every penny!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Mar 19, 9:04 AM
    • 14,214 Posts
    • 47,674 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurray on bargain oven - that's fantastic and well done on savings. It will all add up and you will be rich. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you.....etc
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 30th Mar 19, 8:49 AM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Morning!

I managed to put away the max again this month but it will probably be the last time for a while because the overtime at work has stopped

Anyhoo, I've just done April's transfer and it will leave me at 4,700

Great shame that my savings have fallen so close to 5K for the year but I am so proud that I've got so much!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 30th Mar 19, 10:01 AM
    • 14,214 Posts
    • 47,674 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Dizzy, nearly 5k is great! We are only on month 3. Well done on the overtime hopefully some more come up later in the year.
    • Hutch100uk
    • By Hutch100uk 11th Apr 19, 9:15 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Hutch100uk
    I just wanted to join and say how amazing I think you are. I am currently saving to buy too. I managed to scrape 3,500 from my last house sale when I split with my partner (surprised I got anything as it was a new-build).
    I'm 43 so time not on my side so I'm going to try for a 95% mortgage. My focus it to have at least 7k in total by this time next year (or earlier).
    Its not easy as I'm a single mum with 2 kids. On a basic month I can only save 100 but I do get a bonus from work twice a year. I also pay off my car loan in July so there is another 100 saved each month.
    I take things to extremes when budgeting. I literally work out exactly how much I need for: diesel, food shopping, kids activities etc and I withdraw the cash and put it into individual envelopes. That way I can see exactly what I am spending. I try not to use my debit card at all.
    Its working well so far.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 13th Apr 19, 11:18 AM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Hi Hutch and thank you please feel free to stick around keep at it, it will happen for you

My month has taken a little bit of an unexpected hit - I had to go to the hairdresser I put a dye on my hair yesterday and it ended up with a very definite orange colour 50 later and I am back blonde again

The lack of overtime at work lasted 3 days so hopefully I'll be putting the max away this month- taking me over 5K a year ago I had 162 put away so I'm very pleased with how much I have now. When I did a forecast when I started, I thought I'd only have 3K

• pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 13th Apr 19, 4:48 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Sorting out an orange hair do is definitely a necessary use of your savings! A friend of mine had her hair dyed blue by a trainee hairdresser when we were teenagers. As she was already blonde, the hairdresser decided she didn't need to bleach her hair first and it came out bright green (actually, rather a nice green I thought but certainly not what she'd wanted!!!).

That's fantastic news at being so far ahead of where you were hoping to be in terms of savings, congratulations!! And that's fab news about the overtime being available again
    • Hutch100uk
    • By Hutch100uk 15th Apr 19, 8:15 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Hutch100uk
    Well done at being so ahead of target. I've not managed to read through the whole thread but how much are you hoping to have, and by when?
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 16th Apr 19, 8:44 PM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Well done at being so ahead of target. I've not managed to read through the whole thread but how much are you hoping to have, and by when?
    Originally posted by Hutch100uk
    I was looking at 20K in 5 years initially and I guess that's still my target but for now I'm as much as possible as soon as possible

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 28th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Big news in my little world - I've been offered another job

It's more pay which can go in the pot, more holiday which is never a bad thing, less travelling expenses which can also go in the pot, within walking/cycling distance so hopefully will lose me some weight and much less stress which again, is never a bad thing

The only "drawback" I can see is that as I've had to wear a uniform for 3 years and I've not been spending any uneccesary money on clothes, I will have to budget some money from April's pay to buy some new clothes Primarni here I come

This months payday will see me pass 5K which I am over the moon with. Someone at work has been saving for a similar amount of time and there are two of them and they have half of what I have. It made me feel a bit bad for her but very good for me

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Apr 19, 7:59 AM
    • 14,214 Posts
    • 47,674 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Dizzy, the money spent at the hairdressers was an essential. I am so glad your hair is back to its normal colour again. Tremendous congratulations on the savings 5000! holy moly.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 29th Apr 19, 6:29 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    That's amazing news on the job front, congratulations!!! Though I must admit, for me having more holiday days would probably wipe out the extra pay on the extra travelling I'd want to do
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Apr 19, 8:57 PM
    • 14,214 Posts
    • 47,674 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I missed the new job - congratulations. Really well done. That is a big deal in this current working environment. Primarni is the place to go for reasonable price clothing also try fleabay.

I am not allowed on it all this month. At all. At all. At all. (She mutters to herself lol).
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 9th Jun 19, 4:15 PM
    • 17,112 Posts
    • 283,824 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Hello all

How is everyone?

New job started and going well so far but it's only been a week savings are a bit weird this month because of the change in pay dates, but that's probably just as well because my last employer screwwed me over and left me very little for this month still sitting nicely at just over 5K though do I'm ok with that.

What I'm not ok with though is that my brother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer my moving back home plans are on hold because my brother is going to go back home at some point. My savings look like they're going to take a battering because I'm the only one in my family who has enough to cover the eventuality

On the upside, I'll be able to save more money by walking to and from work - in 4 days last week I walked 30 miles I did drive on Friday becaus the weather was hideous Pretty soon I'll be able to figure out how much money I'll be able to put away each month. One of my saving accounts is about to mature and I need to move it to one that pays a similar amount of interest

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

6,518Users online

Martin's Twitter