Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 5,174Posts
    • 44,340Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 29
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Apr 19, 2:47 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for the Mother's Day celebrations. I hope the medical appointment went well for your daughter. Let's hope they have a nice children's dept and can help her. It's so nice you are buying new things for the house. Enjoy it. I bought my things 11 years ago and they still cheer me up!
    Christmas Fund 148
    Reminder: June Spending on fleabay 6.99
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Apr 19, 8:28 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The consultant was really lovely and checked DD over thoroughly. She is being referred on to the chronic pain team as thankfully she hasn't got any of the nasty things like RA or fibro. Such a relief!

Hopefully she'll soon be able to cope better with pain and will also be off the painkillers, heat packs, having to rest after not much exertion etc, etc.
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad it's not RA one of my friends has it and it is awful. I hope they can make her life easier and less painful.

One day till the hols.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 5th Apr 19, 6:02 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The appointment has come through already! At the end of the month, and hopefully my Head will be amenable to me being out that whole morning (and me then covering as and where needed to pay back time )

HOORAY! It's the end of term, prosecco time tonight!!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 5th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Darn it, I can't take DD to her appointment as it clashes with my class visit to set up my half term Will have to reschedule to next month, which actually might be better as I'll end up taking the whole day out of school!

Yay, hooray for end of term - the kids were hyper but fun and we said goodbye to really cool chap who is moving to a new school after Easter I'm going to have a XX shaped hole in my heart for a while, he was one of my secret favourites....

And yay for end of term prosecco, Cointreau and strawberries, my favourite cocktail It's a tradition of mine, shall we say, hic!!

Tomorrow, I will no doubt forget all the things I wanted to get done, but at least I have 2 weeks to get them done
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Apr 19, 5:41 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Enjoy your 2 weeks off Kittikins. Am so pleased that your DD has finally getting some help and that its not fibro or RA or fobbed off as "growing pains".
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 898
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Apr 19, 10:24 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    We opened our sealed pot last night, in eager anticipation of our holiday next week - we had just under 90 in there! Not bad for saving since we moved in last year

So far I've done nothing work-wise, but have had a mani-pedi, an evening over at a friend's, and recovered from a hangover!

The 3 of us had a lovely evening yesterday playing cards and games; DD and I used to do this all the time and we're going to take stuff with us on holiday. KW fancies playing Monopoly tonight, the real one, not my favourite card version, might need to get the popcorn ready for snacking purposes!

I'm trying to do some work now as I need to go into school to feed the fish soon and it would be good to have something to print out or have ready for the new term
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on working so early and on the 90 in your savings pot. I hope you have plenty more nice days. Hurrah for the holiday.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 13th Apr 19, 6:41 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Well, I've had a lovely first week of holidays, yesterday KW enjoyed his first Friday non-working day, as his new jobs timetable (he now works for 2 rather than 3 companies), means he has Fridays off

We took DD to a friend's house, for a birthday shopping trip with some other chums (as usual, she spent not a bean, having not inherited my teenage shopping gene!) and we zoomed off to a couple of lovely garden centres and a super farm shop, to spent KW's 90 vouchers!

Which we did - and more....but we have lots of lovely plants and more soil to fill up the last of the raised beds in the back garden

I'm feeling reasonably on top of work I need to do, although I'm sure the panic will set in nearer the time of returning to the coal face!) We have to plan for 2 terms in advance, which is a pain in the bum now, but I try to not just have a medium term plan, but to have the lessons fully planned, including resources printed and trimmed, so I'm all ready to go. Some subjects take longer than others....I'm wading through the Stone Age at the moment, and learning a lot, as it's all new to me!
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 13th Apr 19, 5:15 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Sounds like a great way to spend the first week of the school holidays Kitti How long do you think you'll now be spending filling up the garden with all the plants? I'm never any good at actually pre-planning what I'm going to do in a garden so buy what I think looks pretty, put it all in rather haphazardly and then get disappointed when it doesn't thrive....

I used to be fascinated by the idea of the Stone Age when I was a kid - I rather romantised the idea of living in a cave with roaring fires and running wild and free all day! Mostly, I think, the idea of no school was the main appeal (sorry, I probably shouldn't say that to a teacher!!)
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 6,325.45 / 6,000
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 6,325.45 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 10,325.45 / 30,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 232 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 06/06/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Oct 2052
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Apr 19, 10:22 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    DS used to love board games and especially monopoly before he discovered Xbox / play station gaming. I do miss it. I still used to play cards with my mum when she came to stay or I went to visit her and dad. Well done on 90 in your sealed pot that's fab
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 898
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    DD, KW and I had a fab time last night - we've recently initiated him into playing a card version of Monopoly - we HIGHLY recommend it; it's fast, you can be mean, and easily portable! One of our best memories is playing Monopoly in the Italian town of Monopoli

Last night we played Monopoly, some card games, Uno and an old board game that my brother and I used to play, called Enchanted Forest. Thankfully, we had enjoyed a movie night on Thursday, so no one felt hard done by

DD plays Candy Crush and a Harry Potter game on her phone, but now we've got the lovely sofas, she's downstairs with us a lot more, which is fabulous, and I'm really making the most of her wanting to spend time with her mummykins again.

KW is the gardener, I'm just the one who says "Oooh, that looks nice, can we get one?" He's out now with the local sustainability group, putting soil into planters by the library ready for free crops to be grown. Then he'll be home and planting out the strawberry, tomato and other plants we bought on Friday

I'm procrastinating and avoiding work.....
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 21st Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The 3 of us went away for 5 days to very sunny north Devon, bliss! I booked it last year with a 10% discount on my town's FB group, as the owners of the lodges used to live near me We were a bit worried that our kitties would give us the hard shoulder as we put them in a cattery for the first time, but no, they still love us just as much - we had one snuggled up under the covers with us when I went to sleep and the other sleeping at our feet!!

We did spent probably a bit too much, but also managed to make some savings - we went to the amazing Eden Project using a 10% off voucher for DD and a buy 1 get 1 free card from Gardener's World for us

Now I'm back at my desk trying to get work done before going back to school on Tuesday...
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Apr 19, 1:18 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for the holiday to Devon. The Eden Project is wonderful. I really enjoyed it when I went a few years ago.

I have some marking to do to. I might leave it till tomorrow. lol.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 22nd Apr 19, 3:54 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've still not started mine....!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Apr 19, 5:07 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I totally understand. It is glorious outside and you need to spend memorable hols with lovely family and DD. Hurrah for fabulous holidays.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 23rd Apr 19, 6:25 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Sadly, I spent a lot of yesterday working - there's always so much to do and I do work better under pressure! Less faffing, but I wish I could be more strict with myself!!

Anyway, it was still a lovely day and I'm feeling excited about the summer term It's a short week and I've got all afternoon PPA on Friday as the rest of the school's going for a walk, and am out Thursday afternoon on a course, so it'll just fly by.....
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Apr 19, 2:45 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for a nice week. I hope today went well for you too. Only six weeks till the next break.
    Christmas Fund 148
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,341Posts Today

8,590Users online

Martin's Twitter