Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spivved1987
    • By Spivved1987 26th Jan 19, 12:25 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Spivved1987
    0 WOW
    Amazon Prime - is this a new trick? If so, heads up
    • 26th Jan 19, 12:25 PM
    0 WOW
    Amazon Prime - is this a new trick? If so, heads up 26th Jan 19 at 12:25 PM
    I bought a few items today, and as usual they tried to get me to sign up for Prime to get free delivery, even though the order was more than 20 on eligible items so was free delivery anyway.

As I proceeded to checkout, a screen popped up asking me if I wanted to sign up for Prime. The trick was that the middle of the screen (this is all on laptop by the way, not mobile app) contained a box which had a division line across the middle of it. The upper half of the box contained the usual Prime logo etc, the lower box contained 'Proceed to Checkout'. In fact the two boxes both sign you up for Prime - they are not two buttons but the same button with two boxes linking.

The correct 'Proceed to Checkout without signing up for Prime' is not visible without scrolling down (at least on my laptop). I made the logical choice to click on the lower half of the box I referred and was signed up for Prime. I cancelled it 2 minutes later, which hopefully means no harm done.

In response to the normal 'you should take more care' argument, I would say that this is simply unacceptable practice, of a sort which wouldn't be tolerated in a double-glazing salesman.
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 26th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 25,850 Posts
    • 13,055 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 26th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 26th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    I can't comment on your case but when I ordered goods this week the old sign up to Prime and get a free month seems to have disappeared and replaced with 99p for one week.
    They ain't getting my money either way.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Spivved1987
    • By Spivved1987 26th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Spivved1987
    • 26th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 26th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    Good for you (apart from being a Man U supporter that is )
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 27th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 27th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 27th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    I got a free sign up to Prime a few weeks ago for 1 month then I got an email to say I could have a further month for free.......
    Must remember to cancel before then !!!!
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 28th Jan 19, 2:00 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 28th Jan 19, 2:00 PM
    • 28th Jan 19, 2:00 PM
    Likewise and yes i always cancel .
    Must have saved 50 + on delivery charges via multiple free Prime .
    They keep offering and a cancel within 14 days at no charge.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 28th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 9,136 Posts
    • 16,907 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 28th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 28th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    I got a free sign up to Prime a few weeks ago for 1 month then I got an email to say I could have a further month for free.......
    Must remember to cancel before then !!!!
    Originally posted by greyteam1959

Your use to be able to stop it renewing straight away and keep it for the free month.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • waggy
    • By waggy 12th Feb 19, 11:31 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    waggy
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 11:31 AM
    Bought an item on Amazon this morning, didnt click on prime at all, used 3-5 day delivery. then 10 mins later rec an email saying thank you for signing up to Prime, they will deduct 7.95 a month from my credit card. first month free,, cancelled order and cancelled Prime,, why do this without my permission, thought it was illegal to do this..
    • Carltonbp
    • By Carltonbp 22nd Apr 19, 11:46 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Carltonbp
    • 22nd Apr 19, 11:46 PM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 11:46 PM
    I've just done this on my Dad's account. So annoyed. This is done on purpose,different fonts, very vague. Couldn't see any other option. I cancelled prime straight away. Took 4 pages of are you sure you don't want these great benefits. I don't like this tricksy behaviour, makes them seem very untrustworthy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,767Posts Today

8,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin