Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 8th Apr 19, 4:04 PM
    • 210Posts
    • 297Thanks
    Cordie
    Bus Pass Identification
    • 8th Apr 19, 4:04 PM
    Bus Pass Identification 8th Apr 19 at 4:04 PM
    I will be eligible for a bus pass in the next few weeks for which I have to give my NI number as part of the identiification process. Does anyone here have any knowledge of the information that the council will have access to when checking my details.

I know it's a strange question but the woman who works in the council office where the passes are processed lives near me and I am not keen on her knowing my business. I'm hoping that it is just a question of them confirming the name matches the number and everything else remains private.

Having a bus pass would be a big saving as ticket prices have increased massively over the last few years.
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 8th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 3,738 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 8th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 8th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    Generally, people working in places like the Council offices and suchlike will have restricted access to databases, sufficient for them to do their job but no further. For instance, my doctor's receptionist only has as much access as is necessary to make me an appointment, she does not have the level of access to know what conditions I have or medication I take.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    Generally, people working in places like the Council offices and suchlike will have restricted access to databases, sufficient for them to do their job but no further. For instance, my doctor's receptionist only has as much access as is necessary to make me an appointment, she does not have the level of access to know what conditions I have or medication I take.
    Originally posted by LadyDee

Are you sure about that? Our receptionists have enough access to be able to tell us our test results, and if we need to see a Dr or not.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Apr 19, 1:29 PM
    • 7,319 Posts
    • 13,826 Thanks
    Farway
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:29 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:29 PM
    Are you sure about that? Our receptionists have enough access to be able to tell us our test results, and if we need to see a Dr or not.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Mine's the same, and deals with prescriptions etc
    • alanq
    • By alanq 9th Apr 19, 1:30 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    alanq
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:30 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:30 PM
    my doctor's receptionist only has as much access as is necessary to make me an appointment, she does not have the level of access to know what conditions I have or medication I take.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    At my surgery the receptionists may not have access to the details of medical records but they certainly have access to prescription information. They print off any repeat prescriptions to give to a doctor to sign and then file them awaiting collection. They can also tell a patient when they last ordered a medicine.

The medicines being prescribed would give an indication of the conditions one had.

I am not sure about test results. They know what tests have been carried out. They can also say if the results are back and whether a patient needs to see a doctor to discuss them. So they can tell if tests were negative or not. Perhaps no more than that.
    Last edited by alanq; 09-04-2019 at 1:37 PM.
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 9th Apr 19, 5:02 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Cordie
    • 9th Apr 19, 5:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 5:02 PM
    Thanks for your replies, I'm hoping as LadyDee suggests that information to council employees would be restricted as it's hard to see why they would need to know anything other than the name matches the number. I wonder if data protection laws would prevent detailed access?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Apr 19, 5:31 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Apr 19, 5:31 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 5:31 PM
    Thanks for your replies, I'm hoping as LadyDee suggests that information to council employees would be restricted as it's hard to see why they would need to know anything other than the name matches the number. I wonder if data protection laws would prevent detailed access?
    Originally posted by Cordie

Data protection laws may not prevent access, but they certainly prevent someone from 'gossiping on' the information obtained.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 9th Apr 19, 6:01 PM
    • 6,533 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:01 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:01 PM
    I have just applied for mine today, and before issueing the details I have supplied will be verified by the customer service team, so she maybe the one who verifies your application, although apart from seeing your NI number and some proof of residency, she is not going to learn anything about you to worry about.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,832 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    Data protection laws may not prevent access, but they certainly prevent someone from 'gossiping on' the information obtained.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

They don't prevent it, they just provide for action to be taken if it happens. If a law prevented something happening then we'd have no speeding, no murders, no theft, etc., etc.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Apr 19, 5:03 AM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 8,797 Thanks
    Murphybear
    If I remember correctly when I got my bus pass I sent them a copy of the letter from the DWP about my State Pension.
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 10th Apr 19, 5:51 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Cordie
    I can take my application and proof of age and residency to any Council Customer Care Office but my NI is on the actual form itself and it is this that is sent to the main Council Office for verification.

Unfortunately I know from previous experience with another council department that information leaks but it is not just a question of that I don't want this particular woman to know my business.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Apr 19, 7:55 AM
    • 6,533 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    I can take my application and proof of age and residency to any Council Customer Care Office but my NI is on the actual form itself and it is this that is sent to the main Council Office for verification.

Unfortunately I know from previous experience with another council department that information leaks but it is not just a question of that I don't want this particular woman to know my business.
    If you are that paranoid about giving them your NI number, donít apply and just keep paying the standard fares.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    • 10,050 Posts
    • 5,113 Thanks
    missile

I think you are being a little paranoid. Having your NI number will not give "this woman" or anyone else access to your records held by any other government department.
    Last edited by missile; 10-04-2019 at 8:22 AM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 10th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Cordie
    I do have the option of not applying for a bus pass I just thought that with the wide variety of experiences of people on this forum someone may have had knowledge of how identity documents are verified.

Sometimes it's nice to have your mind set at rest about something that is niggling at the back of your mind and this is a great place for that.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Apr 19, 11:18 AM
    • 9,487 Posts
    • 31,834 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Most clerical jobs checking NI numbers are very standard jobs, where the individual is expected to manage at least X per hour & any shortfall is noted & commented on. They are also allocated pretty randomly so if your not-quite-neighbour is at a low admin level & is also allocated the job then you are unlucky.

If by word or deed she reveals she has done anything more than process your bus pass, then while you cannot take away what she has read from whatever files she can access, you can (& should) complain & she might be moved to even less interesting work or loose her job.

She may even say "I know this person" & be immediately routed to another task, as it isn't considered professional to allow her to continue on that particular case.

In all honesty it should not be an issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

46Posts Today

3,417Users online

Martin's Twitter