Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LJ92
    • By LJ92 18th Mar 19, 3:28 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LJ92
    Options!
    • 18th Mar 19, 3:28 PM
    Options! 18th Mar 19 at 3:28 PM
    Guys! I've only just signed up to this MSE Forum malarkey so I'm a little bit lost!

I'm 26 and never had a credit card however I am finding myself in need of an extra 500 next month to cover the rest of a final payment needed to pay off my baloon payment on my car. I don't really know much about balance transfer cards and as much as I google I find myself a bit bamboozled! Am I better to use my 750 over draft (I don't normally touch this) to take the money out of and pay back with the balance transfer or get a normal purchase credit card and use it to purchase my every day spendings equating to the 500 I need in order to put that money towards the payment?
    Obviously I would go for a 0% interest for as long as I could get it. (After paying off my final payment I will have an extra 160 a month that I have been paying towards the car so that will pay off the money used). I am aware that I could just use my over draft however I find the thought of so much of my wage being swallowed up in the overdraft for the first couple of months rather stressful!

I am probably sounding really dramatic - I just don't know what the best option is because I don't know enough about it!

Thank you x
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Mar 19, 3:32 PM
    • 22,392 Posts
    • 24,509 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Mar 19, 3:32 PM
    • 18th Mar 19, 3:32 PM
    You would probably need a money transfer card to pay it directly, but your chances of getting one may be low.

Try an eligibility checker to see what you might get - but it may be that you need to use your OD. If you do, clear it as soon as you can.

Build up a savings buffer in the coming months so you don't need to fall back on credit.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 28th Mar 19, 9:40 PM
    • 6,180 Posts
    • 4,233 Thanks
    fwor
    • 28th Mar 19, 9:40 PM
    • 28th Mar 19, 9:40 PM
    <please ignore - spam removal>
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Mar 19, 6:20 AM
    • 22,392 Posts
    • 24,509 Thanks
    zx81
    • 29th Mar 19, 6:20 AM
    • 29th Mar 19, 6:20 AM
    It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post!
    Originally posted by Fractoggen
    Nice to see that some people still know how to write unconvincing home page spam posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin