Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 22nd Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit
    • 22nd Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit 22nd Apr 18 at 8:48 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 2
    • Caparn
    • By Caparn 24th Apr 18, 11:14 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Caparn
    Can I sue Facebook if I buy whatever the advert was for because I purchased it in the safe knowledge that Martin Lewis was promoting it?
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 25th Apr 18, 1:36 AM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Thanks for all the notes above. The bizarre thing is programmatica ads means as the story of me suing facebook got bigger, more of these ads came out of the woodwork. I'm talkign with my legal team about how to approach them.

Facebook though has been doign it more and logner and on notice far more than the rest.
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    What you are trying to acheive is just and a good thing for everyone Martin best of luck.
    • StuMac01
    • By StuMac01 25th Apr 18, 5:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    StuMac01
    Facebook’s arrogance is astounding - I wish you luck Martin with your action and hope it will go some way towards making them re-think about their attitude. The way they allow personal data to be used in such manipulative ways by companies such as Cambridge Analytica is actually quite shocking.
    Last edited by StuMac01; 25-04-2018 at 5:53 AM.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 25th Apr 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    Even my Ebay home page served up an ad via Yahoo this morning:

Links to:

http://pr.ybp.yahoo.com/cj/cd/5B6KFlZN73z0QzNxDT11_1NHhQHt4-g4ATsUS-i3wlQosMKxCB3pnhrerEotjXfQ0QMVrmq9bPlTmLjfZIWYv0Gm _tvkZNTpYRjfiNDKNX_XZlZ-WCbYehp-QVp43RQ5vXqiLyz6fLsLlOMV2jzgpDVDbxtMpQc6/rurl/https://booksclicks.com/product/you-need-a-budget-invest-like-a-pro/?utm_ad=972697&utm_domain=ebayadvertising.co.uk

which forwards to

http://topfinancedaily2018.com/r/uk/lewis2/indexb.php?utm_ad=972697&utm_domain=ebayadvertisin g.co.uk&sig=MTUyNDY0MTM2NA%3D%3D.0-JJZlNKQOYFLVapaDP_

Well done Martin for addressing this.
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,655 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,060 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Diana2014
    • By Diana2014 25th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Diana2014
    Delighted to see that Martin and his solicitors have put together such a strong case for making Facebook answerable to the English High Court for its misbehaviour. It's long overdue but it takes someone with a great deal of resources, moral courage and determination to launch such a challenge.

Please don't give up this lawsuit unless you get absolutely watertight, properly-secured guarantees which actually prevent such abuses in future. In any settlement agreement, only have the case stayed - NOT dismissed - while putting any promises from Facebook to the test.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 25th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Facebook though has been doign it more and logner and on notice far more than the rest.
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Hi Martin, are you applying for a job with the Guardian ?
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Stanstedpete
    • By Stanstedpete 25th Apr 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Stanstedpete
    Isn't it ironic....
    Most of the comments have been in the open discussion where you have to log-in using Facebook.
    • psellars
    • By psellars 25th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    psellars
    Good luck
    Good luck Martin. These scam ads have cropped on my Facebook several times over the months. I have reported them as a scam to FB but they still appear.
    • Oasis111
    • By Oasis111 25th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Oasis111
    Good for you Martin!!! I hope you give them hell!!!
    They have REFUSED to investigate & pull down over 100 FAKE PROFILES that is being made of my daughter - to her detriment- by a "known" male! Yet even the Cyber Action Group & police even refuse to do anything about! This has been going on for over 8 years now! Not to mention the other 6 or so other girls (that we know of) that this same person is doing fake profiles of too! Yet Facebook still refuse to ban him - even though he has been named!
    So you damn well go for it and beat Facebook - it will be a victory for ALL of us that Facebook ignore!!!!
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 25th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    They have REFUSED to investigate & pull down over 100 FAKE PROFILES that is being made of my daughter - to her detriment- by a "known" male! Yet even the Cyber Action Group & police even refuse to do anything about!
    Originally posted by Oasis111
    Yes this is a major problem with facebook. They require no proof of ID to sign up so trouble makers, stalkers, scammers, whoever can make fake profiles of people and abuse their identity in however way they see fit - or just bully them. It doesn't just happen to famous people who can have their reputation abused in a scam.

If Martin wins this case I do hope it has carry over effects to this sort of thing where facebook will be held responsible for allowing this on their platform as well as paid for ads. Reporting said fake profiles frequently does not result in anything happening at all.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 25th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    bxboards
    It's all well and good Facebook saying that if you see an advert then let us know and we'll remove it, but who realistically has the resources to scour Facebook continually looking for fake adds ?? That's a full time job for a team of people. And even then, they'll just pop up again somewhere else.

Surely the onus should be on Facebook to screen the adds before publishing them (for that is what they are doing) and not put the onus on the injured party to report.
    Originally posted by Leon W
    This site is infested with spammers and we are expected to report them - they are not screened out pro-activly by MSE.

So it seems a bit rich on the one hand to demand other sites screen posts, when it's not done here..
    • colinrosy
    • By colinrosy 25th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    colinrosy
    Facebook is the 'Pits'
    God luck Martin. Almost everything about the way Facebook operates is a disgrace. Can you get them to pay a reasonable amount of tax on their UK earnings next?
    • ben501
    • By ben501 26th Apr 18, 6:52 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    ben501
    This site is infested with spammers and we are expected to report them - they are not screened out pro-activly by MSE.

So it seems a bit rich on the one hand to demand other sites screen posts, when it's not done here..
    Originally posted by bxboards
    They're just generic spammers though, not using the image of another well known person.
    It does raise a curious question of how MSE would deal with it if these spammers started posting their images & links on the forum here, and no board guides or other members reported the posts. (Wouldn't happen though spammers, so don't waste your time.)
    • Acelee
    • By Acelee 26th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Acelee
    Zuckerburg - Master of excuses
    Facebook are making money by being a significant, knowing and willing step in the process that only exists to exploit money from people, while doing damage to others along the way.

While this is unacceptable in itself, hiding behind the excuse that it isn't a publisher definitely doesn't absolve it of any responsibility.

I think Martin is absolutely right to follow this course of action. I think Facebook will fight it as it could have serious knock on effects for the rest of its business/functions but if it makes it act more responsible it can only be a good thing.

Martin has put lots of hard work into helping vast amounts of people. If there was a way of giving a donation to help with the legal costs i will gladly do it. MSE let me know.
    • Donatello
    • By Donatello 27th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Donatello
    Possible additional offences
    Surely, FB, Yahoo, Microsoft, the newspapers et al are benefitting from the "proceeds of crime" by carrying these fraudulent adverts, some of which, if not all, may be linked to international organised crime or even to terrorist organisations.

Maybe your legal team could look at that aspect of things and, since the authors of these adverts are most cetainly overseas and largely anonymous or untraceable, the only recourse is to pursue the media platforms themselves and to let THEM make a case against the authors.

These media outlets could not care less about the truth when it comes to posting adverts, they're blinded by the profits that they're making, the ONLY solution, as I see it is to hit them where it hurts with punitive and exemplary damages, an avenue that you are currently pursuing, maybe seeking to confiscate assets under Proceeds of Crime legislation, or even contravention of the Human Rights Act, for as long as it is part of UK law.

Better yet, you may wish to consider hitting them on as many fronts as possible, simultaneously, until they stop acting as accessories to criminal acts.

Good luck Martin, I wish you every success.
    Last edited by Donatello; 27-04-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 27th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Tragen

It's not the same and it depends how well it works; Facebook relies on community-policing but it is slow and often simply does not work meanwhile it can be extremely damaging to individuals and businesses. That does not mean it cannot work, there are numerous platforms that deal with these things swiftly and efficiently.
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 27th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Tragen
    Better yet, you may wish to consider hitting them on as many fronts as possible, simultaneously, until they stop acting as accessories to criminal acts.
    Originally posted by Donatello
    I think teaming up with other victims is the way to go and bring about possible legislation and real change in the industry.
    • 14anon52
    • By 14anon52 30th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    14anon52
    14anon52
    I'm delighted Martin is suing Facebook. I was scammed last year after seeing an add purporting to be from him on Watchdog extolling the virtues of Cloud Trader. I lost £13k and my father who is over 90 lost an excessive amount. One of my credit card providers has refunded my money but the other provider has refused (how they interpret Section 75 differently beats me). Perhaps Martin can explain that.
    • pjcox2005
    • By pjcox2005 30th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    pjcox2005

There is the distinction that Martin doesn't receive revenue from spammers posting on a forum, whereas facebook does for the spam content published by them, which adds an onus of responsibility.
    • karinsmar
    • By karinsmar 30th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    karinsmar
    false LIKES!!!
    i have noticed via my partners Facebook that various ads have been supposedly liked by myself, however this isnt true and i havent Liked them at all.
    they dont show on my facebook account that i have clicked 'like' only other peoples pages.
    i have notified Facebook on several occasions regarding this issue to which i haven't received any response or explanation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,201Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter