Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 5,047Posts
    • 6,634Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave?
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave? 7th Jul 18 at 6:41 PM
    As above!

I am now sick to death of the hot sticky oppressive weather that shows no sign of stopping.

I have barely done any housework due to being a sweaty over heated mess. Working is difficult. Go outside and I burn to a crisp in minutes even with sun cream.

Roll on the rain I really miss you as does my garden.
Page 2
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 7th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 3,224 Posts
    • 4,842 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Seriously? They would stop self employed tradespeople from earning a living ?

I assume there was also a minimum temperature for working too.
    Originally posted by pepper77

There are existing laws on minimum temperatures but not maximum.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 7th Jul 18, 8:31 PM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 11,867 Thanks
    catkins
    It is too hot for me BUT I after months and months of cold and rain and, of course, lots of snow, I'd far rather this hot weather.

I am lucky that I don't work. I get up early and do some housework then I can sit indoors in the cool with all the windows and doors open.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 20,165 Posts
    • 46,718 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I'm finding it much nicer than the usual hot humid British summer. Here it's been a very dry heat with a gentle breeze most days, very Mediterranean.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 7th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 35,109 Posts
    • 107,571 Thanks
    Marisco
    It's just right up here, but I do wish we'd have some rain, I'm fed up of watering the pots and garden every day. Still it's better than the rubbish we usually get every year
    • evenasus
    • By evenasus 7th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 9,875 Posts
    • 24,498 Thanks
    evenasus
    I am so jealous! I wish I had air conditioning, the heat is killing me. With my Irish roots and red hair I was not designed for this weather. I live near a beach and we are having a walk on the beach every evening when it is cooler and usually a nice breeze.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    Having the very pale skin that goes with having/had red hair has been the bane of my life. I hate the heat and my freckles get freckles.
    I can burn just sitting at the traffic lights.
    The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
    Save for what you want to buy
    • robin58
    • By robin58 7th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    If things get too hot, they do generally smoke
    Originally posted by chris_m
    I'm feeling the heat and I have NEVER smoked in my life.

So no generalising thank you.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,988 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    It's just right up here, but I do wish we'd have some rain, I'm fed up of watering the pots and garden every day. Still it's better than the rubbish we usually get every year
    Originally posted by Marisco
    Once a day? You don't know you're born!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 7th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    We couldn't have lived here without it, given my husband's lung condition - now he's gone I'm not giving it up!
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    Well I'm reporting you to the Air Conditioning Police.

Why should you be smug while the rest of use are being boiled like lobsters!

Last edited by robin58; 07-07-2018 at 9:18 PM.
    How little I know.!!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 7th Jul 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Well we won't get any rain yet.

The Government haven't yet appointed a water Czar.

They did in 1976 and within a few days of his appointment, we had a deluge over the whole country.
    How little I know.!!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    • 15,962 Posts
    • 22,322 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I love it and would be happy if it lasted until next summer as long as it occasionally rained overnight.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 7th Jul 18, 9:40 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 4,496 Thanks
    Mista_C
    I'm not a fan of the heat, I much prefer to be around 16C for comfort although I have to say, so far, the heat hasn't been unbearable and I've enjoyed the freedom of just walking out of the front door without concerning myself with the likes of a jacket (I hate sleeves).

On the flip side my lawn is now dust, all it's missing is tumbleweed. The local greenery is now brownery, the local wildlife is going a bit wobbly in the heat so I've started putting out water bowls around the place, and I'd like it if it could just be a little a cooler in the evening so I could sleep a little better.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 28,792 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Yes hate it. As well as being uncomfortable and harder to sleep it increases the chances of our moron neighbours partying and guess what, they are right this minute.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 7th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 20,277 Posts
    • 43,470 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    I'm not a fan of the heat, I much prefer to be around 16C for comfort although I have to say, so far, the heat hasn't been unbearable and I've enjoyed the freedom of just walking out of the front door without concerning myself with the likes of a jacket (I hate sleeves).

On the flip side my lawn is now dust, all it's missing is tumbleweed. The local greenery is now brownery, the local wildlife is going a bit wobbly in the heat so I've started putting out water bowls around the place, and I'd like it if it could just be a little a cooler in the evening so I could sleep a little better.
    Originally posted by Mista_C
    Been putting out water for the birds for some time. Get a string of visits with a lovely view of the birds having a drink.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 7th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    Been putting out water for the birds for some time. Get a string of visits with a lovely view of the birds having a drink.
    Originally posted by Mrs Arcanum
    Hedgehogs need it too. A couple of trays of water out are attracting 2 or 3 thirsty hedgehogs every night in my garden next to a wood'
    I have had Hedgehogs every night for the last few weeks. One night I saw on my CCTV camera a cat having a drink along with the Hedgehogs !
    Last edited by House Martin; 07-07-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 7th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 3,486 Posts
    • 7,589 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Brits wouldn't be Brits if we didn't complain about the weather, whatever it is! It's one stereotype we seem more than happy to live up to.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Jul 18, 10:26 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,988 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Well I'm reporting you to the Air Conditioning Police.

Why should you be smug while the rest of use are being boiled like lobsters!

Originally posted by robin58
    Just call me Smug McSmug Face!
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 7th Jul 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 3,397 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I hate it, even worse that my work office doesn't have air con.

I don't understand why people would like hot weather, they must have a better tolerance than me. Everyday things is difficult - cooking, cleaning, walking to the shops, even using my hair straighteners.

I'm often called weird for this but I actually love cold weather, I love needing my big padded coat, wooly hat and electric blanket, something so comforting about that. I'd love to live in a country that has long cold snowy season such as Canada or Scandinavia.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 8th Jul 18, 12:31 AM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 3,866 Thanks
    Loz01
    YES, I am a November baby and I think thats just ingrained into my soul. I love autumn, crisp air, dark evenings, firework night, wearing leggings and scarves and boots and fluffy pyjamas and getting under a blanket in the evening. This heatwave is hideous.
    • momoyama
    • By momoyama 8th Jul 18, 2:27 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    momoyama
    I don't mind it. After struggling to get to work in the snow I can't really complain now. Granted it's energy-sapping. And I respect that some people's health is affected by it and they will desperately want it cooler. Nurses and other health care staff find it particularly tough.
    Last edited by momoyama; 08-07-2018 at 1:09 PM.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 8th Jul 18, 6:02 AM
    • 17,152 Posts
    • 42,133 Thanks
    FBaby
    I was wondering how long it would take for the Brits to start moaning about something they otherwise moan for not getting!

I love it! Yes it's hard to sleep (hence up since 6:00) but so what. I'm happy to give up good quality sleep for a summer if it mean being able to be outside and enjoying all it's got to offer.

This is exceptional, so instead of moaning about it, how about trying to see the positives that come with it and make the best of them? Don't worry, the dreadful summers will be back next year and many afterwards and all will moan about the cost of travel abroad because after all, we all deserve to go and get some sunshine!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,677Users online

Martin's Twitter