Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,477Posts
    • 39,360Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 170
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 2nd Jul 18, 5:17 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Morning

OH back into work today, so the beginning of back to normal although I'm still his chauffeur until tomorrow, and we need to see if he can manage a full day, especially if it's very hot. But he's not made for being a patient and has had severe doses of cabin fever and stir craziness

Nice restful day yesterday, lots of good football although sad to see Spain go out -DD's Spanish BF is now officially supporting England though

First courgettes picked over the weekend and will be officially eaten today

Orange day lilies have big buds so the marigolds will have a bit of help giving some colour to the very dry corner of the hot border under next door's silver birch (yay for the glorious self sown marigolds! They've been a delight )

The garlic chives which DD's dog ate are growing again

Would love a bit of rain but I really don't want to complain about this gorgeous weather or do anything to jinx it (although the biggest jinx to the nice weather the last few years has been the school holidays - hoping not to have another washed-out August! )
    Feb GC £54.80/£200
    NSD target: Jan 15/20
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Jan 13/18
    £1 a day: Jan £22.7/£35
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9753.37 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3627.85 0% til Feb 20
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 2nd Jul 18, 5:41 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 19,758 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Went to London as Regent Street was closed to cars. Went for a walk and did buy a couple of things which were on my list. Everything was in a sale too.

2. Enjoyed walking around even if it was warm. People were smiling and enjoying listening to the live bands.

3. Had chat with DS2 and his girlfriend when they appeared briefly.I

4. Evening watering the garden and reading my book was very relaxing.

5. Came in and watched penalty shoot out of the football.
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 2nd Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Flo61
    Thinking about my childhood which was happy and secure.

Local carnival. Sights and sounds of procession.

Found a local plant nursery that is dirt cheap.

Daughter and newish boyfriend. So good together.

Fireworks.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 2nd Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 5,524 Posts
    • 80,960 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - 'nother day, 'nother train. to London this time for a supervision that i am totally unprepared for Looks like I will be winging it again...

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Breakfast in the garden - my favourite sourdough toast with avo and bacon. A bowl of homegrown strawberries and raspberries for lunch with cream
    2. Reading my book in the garden - A Passage to India. love E M Forsters writing, very Jane Austen-esque. Which means loads of other lovely books to investigate.
    3. Another load of washing dried on the line.
    4. OH and DS came home late afternoon
    5. Had a bbq in the garden.

Have a great day all.... back to the grind
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 2nd Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Good news for your OH HC.

Sunday pleasures,

Up early and over the yard to exercise horse in relative cool, it was already 21c by 8am, lunged girlie and it was like having a horse kite on the end of the line, think the new hay might have kicked in

Home to bacon butties and catching up on all things Ambridge.

Rest of day spent lazing around, reading and eating ice-cream.

Football was on and on, nice to see usual suspects going out and different teams going through.

Another convert to the Mortimer and Whitehouse programme, gentle laugh out loud comedy.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 2nd Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 35,312 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Again back at the mill!
    V Looking through to holidays in Washington and Apple of Big now. Only just two months away! First though appearing at Anderby Creek and other places in August! Beached Ready! Speedos and all! Viewing recommended. Please be careful, this is not suitable for people of any disposition. If you will be affected, please don’t consider attending! It’s as simple as that!

4 The Prawn Grizzles were excellent yesterday! As BoP does check when he is inn the emporium and the celery this weak is huge. Ginormous! Such that as normal we had toe nail style onions, we also had toe sized celery! Crunchy! Served with fresh egg fried rice and salad. It was hot with the chilli flakes! Served two! Proper Food! On about the emporium, just remember that every time you use the honesty box for the apple and walk off with the avocado pear, another retail outlet bolts its doors!

3 Talking of proper food, BoPsie who wents to her salt mine on FryDay with the thinking of a bun, son did not pack a punch, came home and had spare foods in her bag! You knows about rule 23.234 of BoP. Waste not, want not! Today she is packed with a decent lunch, and I mean the celery is mega, and her apple and mini peelers from last weak! There, the waste of food bin caddy is never filled! As you know, the Lunch Box of BoP is packed with goodness. Salad, snorker roll, Trifle, Two Blue Ribands (Offer!), Apple and mini peelers.

2 Only a weak and a bits to go until BoP is inn the smoke! Viewing all day on Horse Guards!
    Having on tonight in preparedness for the Anderby Creek viewing, BoP is inn the gym!

PM2DD No finger nails are left and wes not kicked off!

Imagine having an IQ so low, you are able to watch Love Island and be educated at the same time!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 2nd Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 38,795 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello, I'm enjoying the cool breeze coming through my window. Not sure why I missed my Sunday pleasures.

Nice doggy walk.

Nice service at church.

Had parked at Morrisons and walked into town ( which is downhill which meant walking back uphill!) got some plants.

Read for a bit. It was very warm.

Went round to friends and sat in her garden in the evening, we did exactly the same thing 4 years ago when I was over on holiday!

Home in time for Poldark!

Today....started well and ended well...just the bit in the middle.

Doggy Boy ate ( stole) 3 veggie sausages and about 10 cheese and onion sausage rolls. I was trying to be ahead of my game as had much to do!

Pavlova X 2 made which were in oven.

Made a salad and a pasta dish which all it needed was sausages! Nipped out to the bin with recycling and Haggis decided he would stretch up and help himself. They were at back of worktop. They were frozen! Straight on phone to vets and straight out car with just time to put his blooming shoes on! Made to vomit and £150 later we came home! He looked very sorry for himself.

Friend and her daughter and their big lab pup (6 months old and just gorgeous ) came for lunch...about an hour later than planned! We had a lovely walk where dogs could run for a bit and Haggis lost a shoe , I'd walked back but couldn't see it. Met a lady and asked if she saw it would she leave it at fence on way in/out. She found it and walked to where we were which was very kind of her.

Lovely lunch of salad and chicken pasta! Pate on crusty bread. Pavlova with peaches for pud. There's another one for tomorrow's lunch.

Then we sat all afternoon in garden being exhausted just watching daft dog antics! It was lovely just to catch up.

Carpet fitter came so son's bedroom finished . All 4 rooms are done. Hurrah!

Son had second interview, fingers crossed for him.

DD2 is on her way home. She's managed to get seats at front (of economy !) so a bit more leg room.

DD1 got an A for an essay she wrote about her dad . It made me cry but it's very beautiful.

Cut the grass. Picked some radishes from the pop up veg patch.

Watched the soaps. Read for a wee bit.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 2nd Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,477 Posts
    • 39,360 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Ouch mhags
    PM2BOP roll on 4th August
    1) Went to ;functional fitness outdoors; 7-8am in dudhope park. Started this madness 3 times a week last month. Good in the summer - not sure what happens in the winter!
    2) still hate kettle bells but squats and burpees improving. Am I thin yet?!
    3) then nice shower at work, porridge and set up for the day
    4) dd2 walked dogs to meet me
    5) mrpiano had been out to lunch with his sister. He brought home a doggy bag for me - goats cheese salad yum. My mse ways are rubbing off on him
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 02-07-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 2nd Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 47,672 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well and 4 eggs.

3) Stayed in for the delivery of bigger son's longer length mattress.

4) Went to the bank then into Ludlow to collect a jumper I had put behind the counter of Oxfam last week.

5) Watched football during the afternoon.

6) Roast pork etc for tea.

7) Will listen to the radio just now.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • house elf
    • By house elf 3rd Jul 18, 5:15 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 12,259 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Breezy and cooler

Yesterday

1. Washed hair again to calm down the blue colour. Did not get sent home!

2. Morning parent meetings went well.

3. IKEA to get kitchen ideas and made appt for design tomorrow.

4. IKEA meatballs for tea.

5. Fire in fire pit. Too early for stars, but could see Venus.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 3rd Jul 18, 5:45 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 19,758 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Good morning at work followed by lunch which was provided which was ok.
    The meeting involved a drive which made my back sore and then the meeting is awful. Nothing is decided and we are now read out an email which we have already read. Yesterdays was one of the worst and finished and finished with us not having time to discuss a suggestion which immediately left half the people in the room angry and undervalued.I
    Let's see what today brings.

2. Started to relax by watering the garden and then the hose broke.

3. DS2 cooked paella for tea which was gorgeous and leftovers for lunch.

4. Chat with neighbour.

5. Warm evening and sat in the garden until late.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 3rd Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ooh, naughty Haggis, leave the sausages alone!

Monday pleasures,

Rye bread toasted with nut butter, needed energy for riding lesson.

Horse girlie made up for bad behaviour previous day by being a little angel for her Mum.

Oh the joys of air con, not very OS but oh so welcome after the above.

Making arrangements for meeting up with friends over next few days.

Eldest hollow legged one invited himself over for tea and football, managed to stretch food and there is always ice-cream.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 13,315 Posts
    • 182,835 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A nice walk last night after 8.30 when we had a nice cooling breeze.

2) A conversation with a 4 year old about unicorns!

3) Giving quite a lot of my home made preserves/pickles/chutneys to our 86 year old pal from the allotment so I don't have to move then when we go.

4) Giving some of this years redcurrant crop to Cookie's mum as I've enough redcurrant jelly to last me 5 years on the shelf already.

5) Tea, oh the glory of a cuppa even when it's boiling outside always makes my world a better place.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Jul 18, 9:14 AM
    • 5,524 Posts
    • 80,960 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I'm with you on the cuppa, Mrs LW - nothing quite hits the back of the throat in the same way. My mum had a theory that drinking tea on a hot day equalised internal and external temperatures so had an overall effect of cooling. She wasn't far wrong - i believe that it's to do with the raising of the internal temperature causes you to sweat and so cools you down...

Anyhoo, nother day, nother train - back to London for a wellbeing while writing workshop - and a free lunch...

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Lots of walking - to station, to st Pancras, from St P to Marylebone the pretty way (through Regents park), and then from station home. Plus a Boris bike back to Euston ( I thought it would be quicker - it wasn't )
    2. Good supervision - discussion of external examiners. One has now been appointed which makes it seem rather real
    3. Leftover pulled jackfruit for tea. Was attempting a low calorie day but felt quite ill so abandoned it.
    4. Due to feeling under the weather, i was slumped on the sofa all evening watching Long lost family and, unbelievably, the football
    5. Watered my beans, which have begun climbing again...

Have a good day all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 3rd Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 35,312 Thanks
    Read This … Miracle Cure?
    DD 4th August. BoP on Tour, and Beach Ready! Appearing at the Theatre of Fish!

V It seams that Ingerland only win every 16 years? BoPsie has the wobbleade cooling in the refrigerator. Prawn Grizzle tonight, and we still has that chunky celery to go with it. Here we go.

4 Now yesterday as yous knows that BoP talks about his delicious Lunch Box. Well, again, BoP had another kitchen disaster! All because he got a mega chunky celery, he forgets the cucumber! Please has dithering BoP inn your forts! Now todays packed Lunch Box is the same as yesterdays with cucumber as well!

3 Was trimming in the gym yesterday as usual. Obviously not trimming toight, and I can tell you inn this weather, the puppy fat is dropping off in buckets. None of that 8 in the morning park malarkey here!

2 Nite.

Having another one today as well. Had the aircon on again yesterday to keep Raffles cool he does not like this weather. He is not off his food, just a tad slow to get there!

Now yous had enuff of BoPs view of the world, now get on with yours!

Note to readers, BoP this weak has the graduates! We donts need no education!

Prawn Grizzles recipe released!
    King Prawns stir fried with Fridge Bitsers.

Garlic, chopped
    Chopped Celery
    Chopped Onions
    Chopped Mushrooms
    Chopped what's in the fridge
    Add chilli flakes
    Toss into hot pan.
    Mix over some chilli sauce.

Long Grain Rice, boiled not the Uncle Ben carp. Add egg if you want.

Enjoy.

All BoP's recipes are approved by BoPsie!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 03-07-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 3rd Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    • 8,542 Posts
    • 33,584 Thanks
    ampersand
    Lots of little smiles and empathy/agreement nods as I catch-up read. A big Thankyou for these - today's featuring all ospers above :-)
    #
    1. Ironing board left out last night [church teatowels all boil-washedx2, ironed and dropped back. Along with rugby, teatowels seem to be an &constant, from supply>care-of, and the rest - & and Spits stock - all now done, away. T'wireless wimbo while tippy-tapping here is correct accompaniment.

2. Early course yday a.m. Combination of Little Britain, The Office and, eventually, a few valuable bits to retain, things to know, as conveyed by CID blokey.

3. Thus back to &squat, trailer hitched and fabric for Spain collected/loaded. Then to town of horse saddler for new trailer tarp., finally. It needed to be left for an hour-ish and fitting, so to emporium, chat with friend, ptnr there. Saw her pics at Sat races with new bf. Like cut of his jib, very much. Have already nomb said so:-) Also very apt, her new Lightning Cat phone cover, given that big boy Fingal has full control of all his humans, her home and parents in the Big House next door. He also likes new bf, a def. +

4. New, blue, trailer tarp. Perfect:-) Came in £30 under quote, even better. Glad, therefore, that bottle of &'s enzed home province rouge was handed over. Tarp. maker v.pleased too:-)

5. Reading an earlier bop post, noted the prawny veggie combo, thinking Great Minds etc. & has exactly same on go. 1st taste will be tonight. Rice done, but no egg-fried aspect yet. It will be yum, tempting since started.
    #
    vjm - for all sorts of reasons, couldn't help feel you/OH would enjoy this, heard during ironing.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007k0dt
    Just say it's now!
    - the brill, Dead Ringers repeat
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7hxfl
    -this very round, sound, story in the Gilbert, Without Sullivan series:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5wr5d
    - and Tolstoy's Resurrection, his deep-thinking, stirring, self-questioning final full-length novel.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00772m2
    #
    They saw & through much ironing. A touch of munch now necessary.
    Bon app!tit! Quick &, hit button, screen playing up and all sorts of cut-outs cutting in.....
    #
    Blimes, bop - nearly crashed into by preceding post again. Saved, this time:-)
    Right, don't expect & any more indoors this day. Already sun hours wasted - love this weather.
    Last edited by ampersand; 03-07-2018 at 4:05 PM. Reason: sneaky typos.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• By Blackbeard of Perranporth 3rd Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 35,312 Thanks
    &
    Yous bin BoPd
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 3rd Jul 18, 8:34 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 38,795 Thanks
    mhagster
    Just waiting on my DD2 arriving home with dirty clothes and much chatter!

Beautiful day.

Lovely doggy walk. Butterflies , birds.

Friends arrived from Melbourne. So lovely to see them and they were here in my kitchen like they'd been in my kitchen many times...just not this one!

Went to our castle and a big long walk

Lunch was lovely. Pavlova and peaches for pud.

Went to beach. Big long walk!

Saw a seal in the harbour. Just basking in the warmth.

Mocktails overlooking the marina.

Big long walk!

Home! Said goodbye.

Son has a job! Hurrah! Very good rate of pay so I shall be paid back what I'm owed! Well done him and he has hung on to getting this one but was getting ready to take anything but really wanted this one! He starts on Thursday.

Ha! When your children go and see their aunt and uncle and puppy before me! Just home now!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 3rd Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 47,672 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Car went for its work and re-MOT.

3) Had breakfast in Sainsburys with smaller son then took him to school.

4) Returned to Sainsburys for shopping.

5) Hens OK.

6) Had a cup of tea with my school friend.

7) Tidied the garden a bit and watered the pots.

8) My brother came round for tea (I made a curry) then we watched the England match, which was exciting!
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 3rd Jul 18, 10:57 PM
    • 3,477 Posts
    • 39,360 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Omg bop no fingernails here either!
    1) arriving for interviews 75 mins early (totally my mistake) and having great catch up with colleague who has got secondment to Scottish government
    2) juiciest nectarine. Wonderfful pleasure.
    3) penguin spotting with dd2. There are 80 across Dundee and neighbourhood till end of September when they get auctioned for maggies. We got 13
    4) omg ex colleague passed his viva. Minor corrections. Was touch and go whether he would submit. Have been cajoling / bullying / mentoring him so absolutely thrilled! The last bit it pure slog vjsmum but so worth it
    5) sad bit dd2;s ex bf;s dawg died. Mse pleasure? She was 14 had a lovely life and dd2 posted beautiful piccie.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

867Posts Today

7,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin