Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kc.ryan
    Do I have to declare compensation if claiming HB?
    • 29th Nov 12, 9:37 PM
    Do I have to declare compensation if claiming HB? 29th Nov 12 at 9:37 PM
    I have been recieving HB and in Jan of this year I received just over £7,000 in compensation. I looked on the direct.gov website and it said people were entitled to HB up to savings of £16,000. DWP are now saying that they want around £2,000 off me for not declaring this and also for not declaring some dormant bank accounts i have but have not used in years! I cannot find anything about declaring one off compensation payments.
Page 1
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 29th Nov 12, 10:00 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 29th Nov 12, 10:00 PM
    • 29th Nov 12, 10:00 PM
    Saving upto £16000 are ok but anything over £6000 will reduce the amount you are entitled to by £1 for every £250 so for every £1000 you have over the £6000 your benefit will reduce by £4/week.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 29th Nov 12, 10:03 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 29th Nov 12, 10:03 PM
    • 29th Nov 12, 10:03 PM
    To be honest you will get quicker and better responses by posting this on the Benefits and Tax Credits board.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • CAB Wyre Forest representative
    • 30th Nov 12, 10:04 AM
    • 30th Nov 12, 10:04 AM
    Hello k.c. ryan

This link will explain the capital rules but the rules say that you can claim if you have less than £16,000 but there is a sliding scale called tarrff income which means that over a certain level dependant on your age is deducted from your entitlement

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm#restrictions_on_how_much_rent _housing_benefit_will_cover

You need to let benefits know of all your income and although some may be disregarded it is better to give all the information and then you will not have to risk prosecution.
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

656Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've had a few replies from people objecting to the term partner. Yet not all couples are married in the modern wor? https://t.co/YRtbLiD96U

• RT @mmhpi: Yesterday we launched our new strategy! Read this introduction by our Founder and Chair @MartinSLewis and Chief Executive @ hele?

• RT @pollymackenzie: I?m so proud to know @MartinSLewis who gets this. Yes: fund services to help people directly, one by one. But the effec?

• Follow Martin