Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • archived user
    MrJudi haggles all the time, but only on high priced items as he finds they are these are the items that he can make significant savings on. I have tried once or twice but although i was sucessful, i wasnt content with 3 off a 20 item that was shop soiled.
  • empfun
    My good haggle turned into me getting hustled. lol.
    I know nothing
  • cougar
    See Im good at haggling depending on what shop it is. If its a guitar shop then I usually ask for discounts for cash.. then when they give me a good offer I pretend to mull it over.. then say.. ok Ill take it if you throw in a few sets of strings (worth a further 15)

Id never haggle in a shop like john lewis though.. I mean do the staff really know how to give discounts? I pose you have to approach the senior staff members.

Im earger to try out the tactic of saying Can I have that tv (worth 500 quid for example) for the price of that model (the cheaper 450 quid model for example). Ive heard thats a good way of getting stuff cheaper. But then again I shop online most of the time!
    by kriss_boy
    John Lewis is exactly the sort of place you should haggle. Their pirces are so high that the can afford to give some away.
    They also do a price match so see if your online elctrical stores have a shop somewhere, then JL will match and give you a three year warranty.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 13th Sep 05, 1:04 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Worth haggling in Currys Comet and PC World. My daughter got a halfprice laptop bag at pc world when she bought her laptop cos id haggled on the phone with them. I got 50 refund from Currys when I bought a new cooker cos when I looked close, the one I thought Id bought had a stayclean oven and the one delivered didnt! same model but manufacturer had made changes so I told them it was worth about 50 to me-wish Id said 80 now but Im not greedy. Then tey had to get rid of display model they realised.Young assistant saw duty managager-it took 4 staff to get to that stage but worth it.
    As far as the young staff go-experience comes with time and only management are allowed to make such decisions in any store-its not age related-so always ask your manager or supervisor. Ive been in retail for 25 years and not a lot has changed in that respect. If you want to haggle-make sure you go at a quiet time-not lunch time-you will just agitate everybody-they will either be rushed or want their lunch. Start a friendly conversation first-it makes the atmosphere much more relaxed.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 13-09-2005 at 1:07 AM.
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Try haggling with trades that are associated with the building trade. Like hire shops etc. But not those on main roads with loads of stock.

I only know it works because that's what I do, hire equipment out that would sometimes be stood against a wall, or on a shelf.

It does work (unless you go to the hire shops that are always featured on the telly - they can afford to say no ... so and so's ) And you'll recognise who I mean if you see their logos on every home improvement programme .....

But don't try it on a Monday or Friday ... that never works

Good luck

And fwiw, I'm not the best haggler in the world, but have succeeded in haggling. It's just supply and demand sometimes.
  • Sofa_Sogood
    John Lewis is exactly the sort of place you should haggle. Their pirces are so high that the can afford to give some away.
    by truscott_uk
    I'd agree. Same with Debenhams and similar shops.

But imo, it's always worth talking to a senior member of staff too. Not asking for them as such, just tracking them down - particularly in the furniture department.

They know what items are worth, unlike some of the younger staff, who are sometimes afraid to give discounts.

Haggling shouldn't be as alien as it seems imo. But it is.

Good luck to any future hagglers though
  • delluver
    Read Martin's book for haggling tips
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Read Martin's book for haggling tips
    by delluver
    And that too
  • flyp
    Martin has a book, Were can i purchase it? I am going to haggle for soem converses soon. I am going to lakeside and haggle like crazy. Going lakeside hopefully this month or next.
    Last edited by flyp; 18-04-2008 at 12:09 PM.
    • TotallyBroke
    • By TotallyBroke 18th Apr 08, 12:58 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    TotallyBroke
    Can I now haggle?
    4 weeks ago my OH and I went engagement ring shopping. There was a sale on in this particular store and I chose a ring. I wanted to see it on with a wedding band so asked to try a particular style on. To cut a long story short we ended up buying the engagement ring, my wedding ring and leaving a deposit for OH's wedding ring. He needed a different size to what they had in stock. Now all three items were a sale price. My question is could I go in tomorrow to pick up OH's wedding band and ask for discount because we had bought 3 rings. Or has my haggling moment passed.

Thanks
  • Geddes
    Martin has a book, Were can i purchase it? I am going to haggle for soem converses soon. I am going to lakeside and haggle like crazy. Going lakeside hopefully this month or next.
    Originally posted by flyp
    I just purchased all 3 from amazon.co.uk it came to 15 for all 3 including delivery.
    • zenseeker
    • By zenseeker 1st Nov 08, 10:49 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 31,649 Thanks
    zenseeker
    Haggling online
    Does anyone have any advice on haggling online?

I have seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer complete DVD set for 119.99 at HMV.com, however it is just under 65 at amazon. I know that I could buy it from amazon, but the thing is that I have a load of HMV e-vouchers ready to use from having saved them up at Toluna, so naturally I would like to get the cheap price from HMV.
  • Prowl
    Research is the Modern Way to haggle!
    I have just started to read Martin's book and i'm upto the chapter how to haggle. I loved peoples tips but i just dont have the cofidence, anymore tips?
    Originally posted by misters
    The greatest key to haggling is research... you must know the market price of the product you are trying to purchase.

I use a tool called hagoole search (hagoole.com/haggle)... the site searches US, UK & AU price comparison / shopping websites from the one place.

I have never heard of someone being ripped off when they knew the market value of their purchase! Know your price and haggle with confidence!

Sadly most of our western world has fallen into the trap of monopolistic competition where companies prefer to differentiate their products than compete on price.

In business everyone should be happy!

Prowl

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,117Posts Today

7,388Users online

Martin's Twitter