After the Work Programme

AP007
AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
So, secondary to the WP thread here there are a few who have now finished and have had their meetings at the JC.

What have they now put in place for you and how often are you going to the JC etc?

What 'support' have they offered you?

My meeting tomorrow is about support so would like to know what they have told you all here
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Daedalus
    Daedalus Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    What support do you want?
  • AP007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    What support do you want?
    I am asking what the JC have said was on offer as they say they are going to talk about support so wanted to know what they have offered others?

I do not need support I need them to have contacts at companies like the WP were meant to.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Daedalus
    Daedalus Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    Why do you need them to have contacts? What would they do with those contacts? Give them to every tom !!!!!! and harry?
  • AP007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Why do you need them to have contacts? What would they do with those contacts? Give them to every tom !!!!!! and harry?
    What? The work programme told me they support people by getting them into a job and they do this by having contacts with companies from Reading to Romford (that's what I was told) and they get jobs to advertise and match them up with people on the WP ie that's how they support people into a job. This is fact did not ever happen.

So just wondering what 'support' is?
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AP007 wrote: »
    I am asking what the JC have said was on offer as they say they are going to talk about support so wanted to know what they have offered others?

I do not need support I need them to have contacts at companies like the WP were meant to.

JCP will not conatct comopanies for you, you are paid JSA, you should be doing this. They will follow up with companies you have applied to but no adviser will apply for you.

After WP, and this will vary between each office, you can expect to attend at least twice a week, increased and intense jobsearch, supported jobsearch. Various more courses for supported jobsearch. Access to training (if appropraite) group sessions, MWA and WEX. Sector based work academy, skills conditionality and PET. If after 24 weeks people are still unemployed the community action programme.

I stress to customers it is no an advisers job to find a job. Each adviser has around 80-100 jobseekers caseloaded, how exactly are they supposed to contact employers for each one in the 40 hours they work, why cant jobseekers contact employers themselves in the 30 hours they are expected to spend jobsearching?

There is no magic wand under the desk and since UJ JCP hardly liase with employers now.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    busy_mom wrote: »
    JCP will not conatct comopanies for you, you are paid JSA, you should be doing this. They will follow up with companies you have applied to but no adviser will apply for you.

After WP, and this will vary between each office, you can expect to attend at least twice a week, increased and intense jobsearch, supported jobsearch. Various more courses for supported jobsearch. Access to training (if appropraite) group sessions, MWA and WEX. Sector based work academy, skills conditionality and PET. If after 24 weeks people are still unemployed the community action programme.

I stress to customers it is no an advisers job to find a job. Each adviser has around 80-100 jobseekers caseloaded, how exactly are they supposed to contact employers for each one in the 40 hours they work, why cant jobseekers contact employers themselves in the 30 hours they are expected to spend jobsearching?

There is no magic wand under the desk and since UJ JCP hardly liase with employers now.

We all know it's not the advisers job to find employment, but it is the advisers job to make claimants aware of any jobs which may be suitable. you can apply for jobs but you can't make employers interview you.

Doing intensive jobsearch is a waste of time if you are hitting and exceeding your JSA agreement targets, also signing on daily is a waste of time. I think it rich that my local jcp had a recruitment event for avon a month or so ago...a totally waste of time as you cannot be paid nmw as it's self employed.

As for community based work will claimants be lumped in with people on community payback, in my mind that is branding JSA claimants as criminals.

I am lucky in a way I work part time but still sign for NI credits and still have to jump through the hoops, but since asserting my rights with regards to the WP I have had very little help from JCP when I sign I am only there to sign and hand in my b7 form. Another totally pointless exercise in my opinion.
  • busy_mom_2
    Forumite
    scooby088 wrote: »
    We all know it's not the advisers job to find employment, but it is the advisers job to make claimants aware of any jobs which may be suitable. you can apply for jobs but you can't make employers interview you.

Doing intensive jobsearch is a waste of time if you are hitting and exceeding your JSA agreement targets, also signing on daily is a waste of time. I think it rich that my local jcp had a recruitment event for avon a month or so ago...a totally waste of time as you cannot be paid nmw as it's self employed.

As for community based work will claimants be lumped in with people on community payback, in my mind that is branding JSA claimants as criminals.

I am lucky in a way I work part time but still sign for NI credits and still have to jump through the hoops, but since asserting my rights with regards to the WP I have had very little help from JCP when I sign I am only there to sign and hand in my b7 form. Another totally pointless exercise in my opinion.

Why is it an advisers job to notify you of jobs that may be suitable? They have access to exactly the same sites as jobseekers so jobseekers should find the suitable jobs themselves. If people are jobseeking properly an adviser should not find jobs the jobseeker hasn't already applied for.

As for the recruitment, Avon does suit and will suit many people people, NEA for instance people on ESA, partners of benefit claimants.

Staff do not make the rules they simply enforce them. They do their job exactly the same as you chose to do yours.

What help exactly do you want from JCP?
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    busy_mom wrote: »
    Why is it an advisers job to notify you of jobs that may be suitable? They have access to exactly the same sites as jobseekers so jobseekers should find the suitable jobs themselves. If people are jobseeking properly an adviser should not find jobs the jobseeker hasn't already applied for.

As for the recruitment, Avon does suit and will suit many people people, NEA for instance people on ESA, partners of benefit claimants.

Staff do not make the rules they simply enforce them. They do their job exactly the same as you chose to do yours.

What help exactly do you want from JCP?

Well if advisers cannot help with regards to jobsearch then what is the point of an adviser? Avon maybe ok at providing a small income but then again they or the jcp cannot guarantee anythng like NMW for earnings so it is false advertising on both the JCP and avon.

When advisers apply the rules it would be nice for them to know of the rule that anyone in receipt of NI credits only cannot be mandated to the WP, advisers are paid to know these things.

What I want from the JCP is for them to get off my back, I am working only part time I personally get no other benefit from signing on. So don't really need to take the attitude I get off some of the staff in the JCP.
  • We've spent 2 years on the useless work programme whos job it is to contact employers and help us, and by the looks of it its been alot of help (sarcasm)
  • busy_mom_2
    Forumite
    You are right than an adviser should know their stuff, but in reality they get very little down time to keep up with changes in legislation.
    BUT as far as the rules state you still have to be available and actively seeking regardless or part time work and the staff will have to treat you the same as any other jobseeker.

An advisers job is to ensure jobseekers have all the necessary skills to be job ready and satidfying the rules of claiming JSA. They can offer support and where necessary mandate to provision. As for attitude have you seen the grief staff have to put up with now a days? It is not an excuse but with the pressures form above staff are really struggling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure