Warning - HMRC hoax calls to mobiles.

0844 351 0831
+1 204 236 7461

Twice, now, in a week claiming to be from HMRC and telling me I have outstanding amounts to pay.

I am self employed, pay large tax bills every January and July and I know to the last penny my businesses current state of health and not a single penny is owed.

Others might not be as aware/whatever and be duped into paying money to these individuals.

They target us at specific times when they think they're more plausible :mad:

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah I've had this many times before! Does seem to happen around January time a bit more. I just laugh when they threaten the police if I don't press 1.

Tip for people - HMRC NEVER get in touch by phone - especially for paying tax, if they want you they'll send a letter in the post.
  • Sharon87 wrote: »
    Yeah I've had this many times before! Does seem to happen around January time a bit more. I just laugh when they threaten the police if I don't press 1.

Tip for people - HMRC NEVER get in touch by phone - especially for paying tax, if they want you they'll send a letter in the post.

Why do they ask for your phone number on tax returns and elsewhere? Another tip; NEVER give your phone numbers to HMRC.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you don't give HMRC your number how do you complete 2 step verification when signing in to the government gateway?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have loads of text from HMRC. They do contact you be mobile.
  • I don't use online anything for HMRC, my accountant does it all, he doesn't have my mobile number either.

HMRC don't have my mobile number.

These scam calls never go to my landline.

(Incidently, that 2nd number that did it is based in Manitoba !
    When my phone displayed the callers location I knew it had to be a cold caller/scamming call )
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Cold callers don't need your number. Autodiallers dial thousands of numbers and some are successful.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I always find that a polite but firm "F*** off" does the trick.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • daveyjp wrote: »
    Cold callers don't need your number. Autodiallers dial thousands of numbers and some are successful.

The thing is, if HMRC don't have your number (and like someone else said, I don't do gov't gateway), any call purporting to be from them must be a hoax, so it's the good old f-off reply as a matter of course.
  • Sharon87
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I have loads of text from HMRC. They do contact you be mobile.

Texts yes, but they'll never call you to ask for a payment! And the texts are only when you're doing something online and are expecting it.
  • Sharon87
    The thing is, if HMRC don't have your number (and like someone else said, I don't do gov't gateway), any call purporting to be from them must be a hoax, so it's the good old f-off reply as a matter of course.

Wish you could tell em to F off, but it's a machine lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure