Parking spaces at home vent.

13»

Comments

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We've had some blocks of flats built around here with no parking spaces at all. It encourages people to work and shop in their own town, could be why our shopping centre is thriving.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • A_Lert
    A_Lert Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Local councils discourage too much parking as they're trying to discourage car use, so really such new developments are aimed at people without cars. Those with multiple cars really need to buy homes elsewhere where there is more parking.

This. Since driving, and by implication car ownership, are regarded as bad for the environment, it's pretty much policy now to try and make owning a car rubbish. The government thinks no parking will encourage people to give up their cars. What it actually encourages people to do is park like idiots.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We would give up our car IF there was adequate alternative transport.
    There are NO busses on Sundays and trying to get anywhere on other days is not easy either. To get to the hospital involves 5 busses and long waits in exposed locations with no shelter.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Whats needed is an entire shift in peoples view of car ownership.
    The 'right' to get free on street parking will need to come under focus.

On many many street/roads you could install safe segregated cycling provision,widen pavements,improve the quality of the space and encourage less car use.
    However propose removing parking spaces and people lose their mind.

Now to be clear Im in a new build with tiny driveway I dont really use.
    I park on the road.
    So a hypocrite,yup.
    However if that parking provision/right was removed I would need to use my driveway or look to things like car share clubs,parking a distance away or whatever.

Before anyone does. Dont you dare come at me with road tax.....
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As a local, I know the one you mean and it's awful.

Sorry OP, but I think you need to look at older houses as they have much bigger driveways and wider roads. It's the main reason I bought my 1970's house - space for 4 cars on the driveway and it's probably a similar size to yours.
    Some of the Victorian houses around here have room for up to 8 cars and they're only 4 bedroom - overkill for most but ideal if you have a work van / caravan etc :)

Slightly off topic, but I also can't stand how narrow the roads are on these new estates. This 'pinch every spare inch possible' thing with new estates absolutely ruins them for me.

or the new current trend of no pavements at all. The' shared' space.
    Plenty of new estates coming up in Scotland at least where they do this. no pavements and average at best road widths.
    always seem to use block paving too which looks great till its gets uneven and has weeds coming through.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    New large estate being built next to ours has roads 5.5M wide and again only 1 off road parking place per dwelling. Just wish those who approve these plans lived in them and not in their large detached houses with double garages up the road.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    New large estate being built next to ours has roads 5.5M wide and again only 1 off road parking place per dwelling. Just wish those who approve these plans lived in them and not in their large detached houses with double garages up the road.

And yet those properties on the new estate will sell, so people know what they are getting before moving in.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • custardy wrote: »
    or the new current trend of no pavements at all. The' shared' space.
    Plenty of new estates coming up in Scotland at least where they do this. no pavements and average at best road widths.
    always seem to use block paving too which looks great till its gets uneven and has weeds coming through.
    Yes, our estate is like that (and we are in Scotland). The councils defend it as “traffic claming”, but don’t seem to realise that they are effectively using pedestrians as a human shield to that end. It doesn’t slow the car drivers down, it just makes you wary of walking along the road. Road widths should be narrowing in places, to slow the traffic down, and pavements provided at all points to keep pedstrians and road traffic apart.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure