50% off Xmas decorations in Poundland & Wilko

Out and about on my cheap chocs research, I spotted decorations for 50p at Poundland including: USB lights, battery-powered lights, Christmas cards, doughnut and pizza shaped baubles, 3m rolls of wrapping paper, as well as cheap 50p chocs including Frozen II selection boxes :j

All decorations at Wilko are also half-price, but most are more than 50p and some decorations are very similar to Poundland so worth checking there first. However, I picked up a Dreamies cat treats selection box for £2.50 (was £5) so MSE Pudding approves :rotfl:

Have you seen any decorations reduced? Do you replace any you broke over Christmas in the sale?
Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.

Comments

• jude_s
    jude_s Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wilko decs and Christmas stock had been reduced to 70% off today in Basingstoke- not sure if national?. I picked up some led naked wire lights for £1.05 per pack!
    :T
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Big thanks to you jude s.

I went in today on the hunt for the lights in Wilko and was not disappointed, I bought several packs of the 20s in gold glass balls for all of £1.50 each. Also the packs (9s) of small baubles were reduced to 30p, as were the 5m metallic bead garlands so a load went in my basket too. Larger packs of baubles were 90p, which again was fine by me. Paper napkins and electrical glittery flicker candles were reduced to 1/2 price to 50p and £1 respectively each. The Christmas trees were all reduced; there was a 3' green tinsel job for £2.25 which might appeal to kids I suppose. Some bits on the display weren't actually reduced as they looked like they may have been, ie the taper candles, and the tubes of Smarties which were 75p and not 37p as I had expected (I doubt the other chocolates were either, despite the prominent 50% off sign). All in all, I paid £18 for "£60" pounds worth of stuff (£40, if you the same items had been bought 3 for 2).

Then I wandered down to Poundstretcher because I regretted not buying the outdoor fairly lights at 50% off when I went in during the week (I bought some beautiful hanging decorations, so was happy with them). Back to the lights: the packs of 100 I wanted were reduced to £2.49 each, but then I looked along the shelf and saw 200s...400s...1,000s....and finally 1,000 with 50% extra free (ie 1,500), reduced from £34.99 to £29.99. These went through at the till at £15, what's not to love?

I really hate paying through the nose for stuff that I know I can get for a better price and will get good use out of! In total I must have spent about £75 on new decorations, but that includes lots of outdoor lights to pimp my fascia come the end of November. I'm all sorted for Christmas 2020 and many years to come and my little spree has taken the edge off having to pack everything away this weekend.

I am now longing for the daffs and tulips to come out! I love the seasons :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
    edited 6 January 2020 at 11:27AM
    jude_s wrote: »
    Wilko decs and Christmas stock had been reduced to 70% off today in Basingstoke- not sure if national?. I picked up some led naked wire lights for £1.05 per pack!
    I picked up similar for 50p in Poundland, thinking they wouldn't work or be good quality but I was actually surprised - very similar to some I've seen selling for £15 (just fewer bulbs maybe?) when they first came out! I bet they're all made in the same factory!

I really tried to get my set from 2004 I've been using every year since to work, but they just wouldn't :( but happy at 50p for a replacement :) Also picked up a USB set to use at my desk next year as my set from 2015 went missing somewhere!
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What was left (not a lot!) is now 70% off except that still does not include smarties, chocs etc.
    Even the activity packs are only 50% reduction- I would have thought they wanted the space for gardening (ours is quite a small shop)

In our strore there were a few resin figure decorations which are now 30p or 60pence each
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Katiehound wrote: »
    What was left (not a lot!) is now 70% off except that still does not include smarties, chocs etc.
    Even the activity packs are only 50% reduction- I would have thought they wanted the space for gardening (ours is quite a small shop)

In our strore there were a few resin figure decorations which are now 30p or 60pence each
    Which begs the question: why stick the shelf-talker stating the discount where the Smarties are?! Which is what was the case in the Southend store, including a helpful label telling you what half of x pence is :doh:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What's left of the individual baubles (whatever the original price) are now 25 pence each.
    Really only the dregs now!!They must have sold off sweets cheaper over the w/e.

If anyonne is still looking for cheaper Christmas stuff there is a load In Yorkshire Trading- not sure what percentage reduction.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure